So everyone seems to agree that the right amount of retention is that you should be a to hold the holster upside down with a loaded handgun and it shouldn't fall out. I use molding props for my holsters and because of my age I cannot legally purchase a handgun and don't really have access to other people's, so how do I measure my retention to give my holsters a proper fit? I have just been hanging weight from the grip of the bluegun and holding it upside down, will that work?

I admit it.. I have never held a loaded gun upside down to see if it will fall out.  Don't see me doin' that later, neither ;)

If you can take your 'dummy" gun, upside down, and give her a good snap of the wrist, yer good.  It's not that technical, really.  For an OWB holster, I figure if I can step in the truck without it crashing, all is well.

Standard practice is to make them just a hair tight, and let the customer decide how tight he / she wants it.  I send 'em a folded business card (lengthwise) ... tell 'em just use that as a shim if they want to loosen it.  Set it up against the slide, insert both in the holster, wait a bit, pull it.. the holster will be "looser" by about 1/32" (ish).

Or, if you really want to hit the sweet spot for each customer, get some rubber hose and screws and make them adjustable.

Edited by JLSleather

Keep in mind that holsters tend to tighten up when worn.  Either the belt pulling the ears of a pancake in, or the belt pushing on an IWB.  Figure that in to your decision.  I've developed a decent feel for it and do a couple test draws.  I am finishing up a pair for someone, the Shield holster came out very nice but the G42 was too tight so I have the blue gun setting in it for a couple days to pre stretch it some.  Odd for me to get the smaller gun the tightest.  

4 hours ago, chiefjason said:

Keep in mind that holsters tend to tighten up when worn.  Either the belt pulling the ears of a pancake in, or the belt pushing on an IWB.  Figure that in to your decision.

And also figure it into the design. A "pancake" made on a curve, or flat backed, will alleviate most of this. 

I rely on using mold guns whenever possible just for the sake of expedience BUT I believe it's always prudent to test the fit of all new holster patterns to the actual model of firearm the holster is made for.  It's been my experience that blue guns are usually quite accurate to scale but I have had a few that were off enough to cause issues.

In light of your extenuating circumstances, perhaps you could see if one of your local mom and pop gun shops would be willing to let you try your holster on one of their guns in inventory?   I know that there's at least one shop close to me that has let me do this on occasion when I don't have access to the actual firearm.  The added benefit is that you can start to build a relationship with said gunshop and possibly generate some business from it.  That's been my experience.

Best of luck

Joon

Edited by Joon1911
Typographic error

43 minutes ago, Joon1911 said:

I rely on using mold guns whenever possible just for the sake of expedience BUT I believe it's always prudent to test the fit of all new holster patterns to the actual model of firearm the holster is made for.  It's been my experience that blue guns are usually quite accurate to scale but I have had a few that were off enough to cause issues.

In light of your extenuating circumstances, perhaps you could see if one of your local mom and pop gun shops would be willing to let you try your holster on one of their guns in inventory?   I know that there's at least one shop close to me that has let me do this on occasion when I don't have access to the actual firearm.  The added benefit is that you can start to build a relationship with said gunshop and possibly generate some business from it.  That's been my experience.

Best of luck

Joon

But keep in mind that if you can't legally purchase a firearm, which I am assuming is from your criminal record, merely possessing a firearm even in a gun store is illegal.  

2 hours ago, usmc0341 said:

But keep in mind that if you can't legally purchase a firearm, which I am assuming is from your criminal record, merely possessing a firearm even in a gun store is illegal.  

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with criminal record, in my state you cannot purchase a handgun until you are 21 years old, which means I get to wait a little while... And if you look at the original post I stated it was because of age.

Welcome to the forums, youngster ;)

Your best resource will be the customers, or even that guy with the small gun shop.  You made the holsters.. now let them try the fit.  Ask 'em what they like, what they don't... IF you are genuinely interested in making a quality product, most of us 'old' folks try to help the new kid out.  In fact, there will be some who would help you, but wouldn't help me (or anyone my age) just because of your age.  Many of us like to see a young person willing to learn something.

IF on the other hand you are "that guy" who asks questions and feigns interest to drum up interest, well -- let's just say we have enough of that already!

Now, keep in mind when I say "us" helping you, I mean the average guy looking for a personal holster.  Many other holster makers may not be interested in helping you - terrified of any competition really.  

Don't worry about it.  You're on the right track -- ask a question, get what you can use from the responses, and don't sweat too much over anything a bit off the path ;)

Some free patterns on my site for holsters - tested to all work.  USe 'em as-is, or alter 'em to suit your needs.  In fact, I wonder if a guy could take a free pattern, spend $10 making the holster, and then give it to the mom'n'pop shop and ask 'em how they like the fit.  Then you'll be able to hold in your hand what works ... and likely (if folks are anything like 'back home') Mom will feed you and Pop will 'show ya the ropes' ;)

Now, before I jump to conclusions myself... is it young man or young lady?  Maybe we'll just stick to 'youngster' ... :rofl:  Carry on, youngster...

1 hour ago, hwhleather said:

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with criminal record, in my state you cannot purchase a handgun until you are 21 years old, which means I get to wait a little while... And if you look at the original post I stated it was because of age.

My apologies for missing that in your original post

Thank you all for the replies, my name is Henry and I am a 16 yr old male. I am genuinely interested in improving my leatherwork and it has become central in my life, due to the fact that I am homeschooled I can put a ton of toward my leatherwork. Now, regarding that local mom and pop gun store, they currently sell my holsters, not a reliable way to check retention though because the owner is horrible at keeping inventory in stock. I have posted a thread with pics of my work in the show off section and would love for you guys to check it out.

I tend to err on the side of a bit tight. Leather will stretch, but it will not, generally speaking, shrink. Also. There can be variance even within a particular model. I made a holster for my dad's Springfield Loaded 1911 using my own Springfield Loaded. Mine was parkerized and his was stainless.  It fit my gun like a glove, but was tight on his.  After a day or two in the holster with a freezer bag around it, his gun fit great. In short, I would make them a bit snug and inform the customer on ways to stretch, if required. Plasic bag, business card, etc. There are many ways to accomplish this.

Also, you have come to the right place. The folks on thus forum are a wealth of knowledge, and very generous with it. Good luck, and please post some pics in this section as well.

Edited by SLP

On 3/12/2017 at 6:48 PM, SLP said:

There can be variance even within a particular model.

That's a good point. I think some people don't realize this, and some people don't want to talk about it.  I've seen like .020" difference in two guns which are supposedly "the same".

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, SLP said:

please post some pics in this section as well.

I just made a new thread in this section with some of my recent work.