Hello to everyone! I am looking for input on the Cobra class 26 machine. Right now I have a Consew 227r, but find that it quite often gets "hung" up right before going over a thicker seams. I even find that the stitch length changes somewhat as if it can't pull heavier fabric through at the same rate as it would, say, a couple layers of canvas. I find myself tugging from behind to help it along. I know how to adjust feed, timing,etc.

I'm working with more leathers ( 3-4 oz.) now for bags and purses as well as heavier canvas and would like to try some 7 oz. leather as well.  Spoke to Steve who was very kind, and was told it would meet my needs, but that was about it. I would Love to hear from someone who has used it,  before I decide to take the plunge! LOL How does it sew going along zippers for instance? I Thank all of you for any help and information. Suzanne ) Hope you all have a terrific day as well!

Edited by onathread
needed to add more info

There are a couple of threads on this machine, seems to be suddenly getting a little more attention. They weren't really advertised until recently it seems. I imagine because of its ability to fit the bill for a inbetween machine that would allow a lot of customers to get away with just one machine vs buying a larger and smaller machine. It advertises as handling up to 277 and 5/8" leather and down to 46 thread so this would cover a decent amount of peoples work.

Hi Madmax22! I think you're right about this! I find it a little odd that I can't find a lot on line about this machine, other than the basic description. Thank You for your input and time! Suzanne )

I may be being a little harsh so get some other opinions before ya thank me  :lol:.

I dont have one of those machines but they arent new and with there advertised capabilities I cant imagine why people would buy say a 227 over the 26 for example. I know if I was stitching say motorcycle seats with 3 layers of upholstery leather with 92 thread and also doing holsters with 1/4 to 3/8 veg and only needed say 207 thread I would just get one of these to do it and be done instead of grabbing a 227r and a 3500 for example. Yeah I know the 3500 and others can do 138 thread but stitching upholstery leather on them is a challenge, it can be done but I wouldnt want to make a habit out of it. I had to use my 4500 until I got my 211g155 sewing correctly and will admit as good as the 4500 is for thicker stuff it is not remotely close to the best option for upholstery items. 

They seem like pretty darn nice machines. Who knows, maybe they were recently cloned so just started being available. 

Im sure Steve wouldnt lead you astray in saying it would meet your needs. There is another forum member that bought one a little bit back and think you should look up his thread and send him a PM asking about the machine. Seemed to be satisfied with his purchase (his wife also). 

Here ya go 

Edited by MADMAX22

The Cobra Class 26 is a copy of the Juki LS-341 design. TechSew 2750 and Cowboy CB341 are other clone options for that same machine. Personally I really like that machine design. 

The Juki LS-341N engineer's manual (Juki_LS-341N_Engineers_Manual.pdf) and the Juki LS-341N Instruction manual ( Juki LS-341N InstructionManual.pdf) should match the Cobra Class 26 (and the other clones) very closely.  It contains specs and other useful details.

Edited by Uwe

20 minutes ago, Uwe said:

The Cobra Class 26 is a copy of the Juki LS-341 design. TechSew 2750 and Cowboy CB341 are other clone options for that same machine. Personally I really that machine design. 

Guess either those guys are messed up or springfield leather is fluffing the cobra some http://springfieldleather.com/Cobra-Class-26 

Specs seem to be all over the place. 

That Springfield Leather statement about the Cobra Class 26 being "basically a scaled down version of the Cobra Class 4" is just a bit misleading. It's a smaller cylinder arm machine, yes, but it shares almost no design details with the Cobra Class 4. Some clone manufacturers tweak certain details when they make a clone, so specs can vary to some degree. 

Edited by Uwe

Curious what was tweaked for the difference of being maxed out at 138 thread to 277 thread and 3/8in to 5/8in leather. Some pretty hefty differences in capabilities. 

I've sent a request for clarification about the model 26 thread capacity to Leather Machine Company. I will report back after I hear from them.

I Thank You all very much! I look forward to hear that info as well Wizcrafts! Thank You for looking!  I think a Cobra 4 is a bit much for my needs. I don't plan on making heavy leather projects. Uwe..I'll chk that Juki out as well, maybe I can get a better price, who knows! I just want to be sure to get the machine to fit my needs,  without getting hung up at seams. Thank You all very much! )

If your Consew 227R-2 is a re-badged Seiko CW8B-2 (check inside for Seiko branded parts), I wouldn't dismiss it just yet. Try adjusting your 227 for maximum and equal alternating foot lift as it walks. The Seiko CW8B specs state a alternating foot lift of up to 5.5mm, which is about the same as my Juki LS-341 (and likely the same for Cobra Class 26).

Your Consew 227R-2 may just be able to climb up and down your seams after all. Presser foot design and stitch length also play a role in how willingly the feet will climb up or down big steps. 

If your Consew 227R-2 can't step onto the seams, the Juki LS-341 and Cobra Class 26 machines will very likely struggle, too. The next step up from that general class of machines is the Juki TSC-441 and its various clones. 

seikoCW8B-2-specs.jpg

Here are pictures of my Juki LS-341 adjusted for maximum alternating foot lift (about 5.5mm.)

IMG_7504.jpgIMG_7505.jpg 

Edited by Uwe

I heard from Cobra Steve about the new Class 26 machine. He told me that it sews from 3 ounces up to 3/8 inch, uses standard walking foot System 135x16 and 135x17 needles, sizes 18 - 24, has an extra large hook that takes Juki LU (double capacity) bobbins and can handle up to #277 thread on top, with #207 in the bobbin. It also uses standard Singer 111 type walking feet.

That's all I know at this time. I hope this helps.

Thanks for finding out some real details Wiz. 

5 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

Thanks for finding out some real details Wiz. 

If I learn more about this machine I will post it here.

Thank You Wizcrafts! ) Steve was very kind in helping me as well! I'm going to Check out NickoSew, to see if he has a "clone" I can at least try out. I'm not to far from their store here in St. Louis area. I'd like to take the car around the block a couple of times to try it out! LOL I hope all is well with you! )

10 minutes ago, onathread said:

Thank You Wizcrafts! ) Steve was very kind in helping me as well! I'm going to Check out NickoSew, to see if he has a "clone" I can at least try out. I'm not to far from their store here in St. Louis area. I'd like to take the car around the block a couple of times to try it out! LOL I hope all is well with you! )

Thanks! I'm hangin' in like Gunga Din!

Wizcrafts Thanks for checkin up on the specs. This is sounding great and for a serious need around here, i mean tuned in to a real leather stitchers thread wants. Wow! 

Good day

Floyd

Hello everyone. After 9 surgeries in the last 16 months, I'm back. Sorry it took so long. The COBRA Class 26 is a very smooth and a user friendly machine. It is the most versatile machine in it's class. Wiz posted most of the specs. Call us for more info if you would like.

12 minutes ago, Cobra Steve said:

Hello everyone. After 9 surgeries in the last 16 months, I'm back. Sorry it took so long. 

Welcome back bud !

Ron

Edited by Techsew Ron

Hi Steve! Getting a lot of great feed back on the Cobra 26. Very interested, and I'm told you're the best guy to deal with! I wish you the best with you're health! )

Uwe, Hello! One thing I did was to adjust the feed timing as you suggested. I am getting a nicer stitch length.  I do like this machine an awful lot, so I may not even consider a different machine at this time. Thank You for your help! Also, I find it difficult to get replacement parts for my Consew 227r. I'm interested in a complete bobbin case/hook assembly. Does anyone know which machine would be equivalent to the 227r in which to find parts? Thx again for everyone's help! )

I am not on my computer right now so no shortcuts but the 227r should not be hard to find parts for. Call Bob or maybe Uwe will post some links to a couple of suppliers that are really good.

If you're not fond of googling things, call one of the banner vendors and get the full service treatment for a little extra.

For self-service, try this approach: The Consew 227R-2 Manual specs the hook assembly as part number 13086. Typing "13086 hook" into the Ebay search window comes up with this nice OEM Seiko hook for $22.49 (Consew machines were built by Seiko back then):

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 6.46.56 PM.png

Thx Madmax22 and Uwe!! )