Hillbilly tim

Dropdown roller guide

Anyone using the drop-down roller guide on their heavy machines like the class 4 and 5100's? I like the idea, even had been considering making something along those lines before i found it but, i just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I see some versions have an accessory flat guide that is interchangable with the roller, any advantages? Ideas, comments, stories?

thx

Yep - works good.  Wanna see why?  Couple short videos on this over there at the 'observation' link below -- one about why I didn't like the one, and one about mounting the drop down version.

Otherwise, yep -I use the drop guide, and yep I think it was worth installing it.

yup gots me one of them things to, works real good, better than the original device. 

One of the commonly used drop-down (or swing-down) guides is the KG-867. There's an extended version of that edge guide available called KG-967, which has about 20mm (3/4") more reach. The two guides overlap in the range of motion, and the overlap range places the roller guide right next to the needle on the 441 class machines. If you have a need to place the guide in front of the needle (e.g. for holding a tape folder or binder), you'd want to get the extended KG-967 version. 

The Cobra Class 4 (also TechSew 5100, I think) already have mounting holes drilled and tapped on the back of the machine, so that makes installation easier. If your machine does not have pre-drilled holes you'll have to drill and tap mounting holes. Either way, you'll need an adapter bracket like a KB-205 for a proper installation.

The only real issue with using the swing-down edge guide on a 441 class machines is that the standard manual foot lift handle gets in the way. I made an extension handle to get around that. Just something to keep in mind. 

Here's a short video showing what the installation might look like on a Cowboy 4500: 

Edited by Uwe

Thank you for your insight and information. 

Bro. Timothy. 

I use the same guide on my 441 with a self made adapter, made before I have seen Uweˋs solution on the hand foot lifter.

Got those guides on all of my machines, can't live with out them anymore. Especially, I like the option of attachment you can use on these. Like welting, zipper and center guides (for French seams) etc. Just fold it up and out of the way when you don't need it anymore, a real simplifier and time saver.  

so that drop down adapter has a zipper attachment?  I have the drop down on my machine and would like to know more on a zipper attachment and capabilities, if you have that or some of the attachments can you post a photo of them please and where they can be purchased!

Thanks

Ron

The various bits that connect to the guides are listed on the Kwok Hing website: 

http://www.kwokhing.com/adler/da_guide.htm

The zipper guide is called KG-BZ

kg_bz.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Now I see I really should have bought the zipper guide KG-NR with regulating guide, that's what I need right now changing zippers in a boat top. I think that's new, I did not see that one when I bought mine. However, I can easily modify mine and use the guide from the welting attachment illustrated in KG767T. That welting attachment was available separately when I bought it (with out the suspending guide).

Tor 

Uwe, is that something that you have access to or is it something we would need to order from the Kwok co.

Thanks

Ron

How do I get the KG-967, or do I need a secret password, 

http://www.kwokhing.com/da/ you just have to browse true their web site. All these guides attach the same but you need and adaptor/bracket unique to your machine. If you are going to use it on a 441 clone check with Uwe´s solution. Otherwise you can make your own bracket out a piece of aluminum like I did. perhaps they now sell a 441 bracket, ask them. Good luck! 

I used a KB205 bracket, modified the top to move it higher and turned it around while mounting and using a KG967 on a real Juki TSC 441U.

Then designed and machined my extended lift lever.

All as solid as an rsz_120190819_170620.thumb.jpg.24367a0c8d88363e5daa56870abf1333.jpgOEM factory option and work great. rsz_20190819_170724_2.thumb.jpg.f48d7314c6a56a55976e22b594d9abdc.jpg

587921123_rsz_20190819_170609(1).thumb.jpg.f11d12a89ab65262f2ef28c033f57fb0.jpgI could take a pic of back of machine showing how I had to modify the KB205 if anyone wants  to see it.

Edited by Louiesdad
add pic

I just took a piece of aluminum and made my own bracket and ordered a long guide. Anyway, I really hate the hand lifter on the 411; why couldn't they place it on the top like on the Adler machines.

IMG_20190823_122355.jpg

I missed a little bit on the angle of the guide, therefore I just made it adjustable :)

I got a guide and adapter from Uve.  Took the handle off the "hand lift" and threw it in a drawer, where it's been ever since.  No need for any of that... there's a foot pedal RIGHT THERE.