TBigLug

Start-up Tool List

So I'm just getting back into leather working. Been putting together a "start-up list" of sorts to try and ease myself back into it as I can afford it. My plan is to start with more affordable tools then upgrade later as time and funds allow. I also didn't want to get too deep invested until I found out if it was something I was skilled enough to do or enjoyed enough to persue as a side gig. I did all this before I found this amazing forum so I was piecing together information from different leather workers, YouTube, forums, etc. My main focus will be on holsters, belts, rifle scabbards, knife sheaths, cartridge belts, etc. Can you guys peruse over my list and tell me if there is anything important I've left out? I also thought it would be a good intro for people like me who don't know where to start or what is required. It's basically set up into stages so I could do a little at a time but still have the required minimums to do some starter projects. Second file is what I have acquired to date. Thanks for your input.

Leatherwork Start-up List.pdf

Start-Up Bought List.pdf

sent you a message with my email

I'm new to leatherworking and find your list very helpful. The goods Japan site seems legit, lots of stuff there. I've been curious about all the Amazon odd ball tool brands the same way I'm curious about Tandy. Everyone says buy the best I can afford and I agree but are these lower end tools really gonna fail me?? My biggest concern is sharp, I have heard the Tandy stuff isn't usable as they sell it..I'd hate to buy an edge beveler and have to learn to sharpen the tiny little thing before I've really learned to use it lol. 

I can give you some insight. It's been about a year now and I've learned some things along the way. #1 get the cheaper "Safety Skivver" the expensive one is useless and hard to use for me. #2 I have found I use only the stitching chisels I have only once used the overstitch/ stitching wheel once and it looked terrible (my fault, harder to use) #3 Ritza Tiger thread is sent directly from heaven as is strong enough to pull your truck out of a ditch (lol). #4 The money I spent on the carving and stenciling tools was wasted, I'm not artistic and cannot carve leather (yet, I haven't given up completely). #5 The strap cutter has been a godsend for all the belts, collars and straps I've done. #6 the rotary cutting tool is a dangerous but indispensable tool. #7 The 6 prong stitching chisel is useless in thick leather and you will bend the prongs learning how to use it, rendering it useless. Get a bone folder to hold down the leather while you pull it out. Start with the cheap chisel set off Amazon, still using mine after a year. #8 Don't wax your chisel if you want your dye to color the inside of your stitch holes. #9 Get the best diamond awl, jewelers pliers and harness needles (John James) you can. Those are the thtee most used items for me. #10 have fun!

I use the vast majority of my tools to some degree BUT the short list to test the waters is cutting mat, rotary cutting tool, edge beveler, contact cement, wing dividers, stitching chisel set, diamond awl, jewelers pliers, ritza waxed thread, harness needles.

I'm no expert, just sharing my experience. I'm sure there will be some "professional" leatherworkers that can offer their own opinion about why my list is bunk, lol. Also as a side note, I primarily make belts, collars and holsters so I work with 8-12 oz leather. If you're doing thin leather bags, wallets, etc you may need differant stuff.

Two of the handiest measuring tools I use are a flat, 6"square and a centering ruler. 

Your list looks pretty complete. 

As far as stitching chisels, in the beginning the Amazon cheapys are fine. I still have mine. They will get you going. But as you develop you will want your stitching to improve. I look at this the way antique gun values go...... 95% of the value is based on the last 5% of condition. So, a gun that is rare but only in 85% condition may be worth 400.00 , but the same gun in 99% condition may be worth 12,000.00. 

So, eventually you will want to move up the food chain in stitching as well as cutting.

You can get a long way with a rotary cutter, a razor knife, and a cheap clicker or le' dispensable type knife. I'm not knocking them by any means.

But, I gotta tell ya, my purchases from Knipknives have been my most treasured investment in this hobby. A super sharp headknife will slide thru thick stuff leather like butter. This keeps the edges from bunching up and throwing your corners out of square.

Now for someone jumping in to leather that isn't sure they will stick with it, I would say don't bother with the expensive knives yet. But, Terry Knipschield has no apprentice. And I'm sorry to say, he won't be around forever. So, once he retires, that's it. No more Knipknives. 

There are other fantastic makers out there, but I haven't used any of their knives.

A few more suppliers you may want to look into are Maverick Leather, Springfield Leather, Weaver, Crimson Hide, Wuta, and Rocky Mountain Leather Supply. 

Maverick has always been good to deal with, as well as Weaver, and Springfield. Kevin seems like so much fun in their videos I just love sending him my money. I haven't had any dealing with Crimson Hide yet, but Rocky Mountain Leather has some really nice items you find elsewhere. Last but certainly not least (in my book), is Wuta. They have a wide range of templates and tools ranging from budget to higher end stuff. They are out of China but offer free shipping worldwide. It takes awhile to get here, but they have always been upfront about that in their descriptions.

Now we have banged up on China (and for good reason) for a long long time. But when we are looking at higher price point items, China has stepped up in recent years. Wuta's higher end stuff is made of great steel. I can't remember the name of it though. Dc something rether.

And on the same note (different category) Kizer Cutlery makes some precision awesome pocket knives. I have several and am happy with them all. Vg-10 or S35v steel with g10 or titanium handles. Really nice stuff at a price point way below market value in the States.

Anywho, I hope all these ramblings are helpful. Now I need more coffee.

A lot to go on here. You guys rock. I've been having a lot of difficulty deciding which tools will be worth while. I think other nubes would find this info very useful. Lee

All I can say is wow, I am a few months into this and really stink at office type of work so making lists is difficult for me. I honestly have not even thought of doing a true inventory on tools I have (not many) I just know the ones I use as of now.  But one thing I have been doing is looking for a well thought out inventory list that I can use and yours is the most comprehensive I have come across! I like how it is broke into stages for need, progressing from can do what it does to made specifically for what it does. If you have no issue I think I may borrow this list and adapt to fit my style and where I am wanting to go within the craft.

One of the best tools I can recommend is this 100 page reference book with pictures, includes brief description; with Use and Sharpen tips:

Leathercraft Tools

by Al Stohlman 

good day

Floyd

No problem, take it, change it, adjust it, share it, make it your own. Hopefully it helps.