Amity

Beginner question - does this exist?

I am getting started making leather belts. I plan on making them for a family store. I have just about everything ready and planned, but I was wondering if they made some sort of die to use to cut the slot for the buckle and the holes for the snaps at the same time. It would save me time if something like this existed, because I plan on making a lot of belts. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would think that to use a die to cut the belts you'll need a die-press, an expensive bit of machinery for just starting up.

You can buy these templates much cheaper. These are just one style of templates, there are others

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142176518874?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You would probably need to have a custom die made up but you could use a $100 shop press instead of a prior clicker press.

All you need is a hole punch the size of the rivets or snaps you plan to use. A bag punch/oblong punch for belt slots. A oval or round punch for the tongue of the belt. Above listed templates are handy for marking where to punch. 

It might make sense for you to order belt blanks?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your ideas. I think I will go with the template for now. I already have the hole punch and oblong punch for the buckles. That's what I already use. 

There are certainly makers who will make these types of dies for you. I used to frequent an Amish leather shop when I needed to buy belts. They had a single die for the holes on the buckle end and one for the billet end. Theirs were made to be struck with a hammer. Their steps were really easy: cut strip from side, cut to length, use end punches, bevel, edge coat, use the punches for the holes, set snaps in the buckle end, add keeper and buckle, and that was it

They primarily use latigo, so no finishing of the belt was required. I am wearing one of their belts today, and i think I bought it 13 years ago.

There are a few ways to go about. 

A) depends on how many are many?

To do belts in large (Large) quantity you could use a beam press,(clicker bed usually not big enough to lay die out on table and do one press )  Then you would need to have dies made up for each width and size you are making. Then it would be a matter of laying the hide on the beam press putting dies on, push a button, and instant belt with all the holes/slots done,then just the finishing aspect left. Lots of outlay of money to get started.

B ) you can get machine strap cutters that can cut as many strips from hide you want. Biggest time is setting up the machine to the size you want. But if you are doing all one width then you don't have to bother with to often. Once hide is cut into strips, you punch holes where you want. I have a gang punch that i use, which centers the leather and then punches all the holes at once with a push of a foot lever. So depending what size holes and how many holes i want to punch . Use the dies i have and it takes two seconds per belt. 

C)  A simple way, depending on leather you are using, Get a Good Plough gauge ( I prefer over draw gauge) Cut the straight edge along back,set gauge to width you want and start cutting. Once you have all the strips from hide, you start making the sizes you are after. Use hand tools to punch slots and holes needed...

It all depends on how many,what type of leather and what is your profit margin per belt....

Belts are pretty standard for sizing, so once you know what size you want, you put holes in same place on each belt. Usually they have 5 holes the center hole is used as the size you are after and then there are two holes on either side of that hole. Ie) a 32 belt would have a center hole at the 32" mark,with two holes above and two holes below that point.

Finishing again,depending quantity and type of belt you are making. The edges will need to be rounded and then dyed,polished to finish the edge.

If you are doing a stamp belt,you can get dies, premade or made to order ( yes, the purists will cringe) once the leather is cased you run the blank through the machine and you get a imprint on leather. Then the finishing part needs to happen...

The other way, is to carve and stamp the belt blanks out by hand.  (time consuming if you have a few hundred to make up.... B)  )