jshep

Magnetic Arbor Press Attachment?!

I need something that I can use to set rivets, grommets, and also use as a press for logos etc. I was looking at my options and everything seemed out of my price range in regards to presses made for leather, or they were very specific (you have to use our rivets/grommets/snaps/dies, and other dies won't work or wouldn't work with a logo stamp etc). So I started looking at arbor presses. Noticed that I'd need to do a bit of mods to get it to work properly... then I stumbled on this!! Has anyone modified their arbor press with magnets before? Or tried something similar to this? I like the idea that I wouldn't have to drill into the metal to get it work. Either this is the perfect solution to my problem or there's something I'm not taking into consideration. 

Thoughts? 

https://www.amazon.com/Arbor-Press-Magnetic-Chucking-Tool/dp/B00MEQMBD2

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 5.14.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 5.14.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 5.14.13 PM.png

Its clever.

I've used those types of magnets and they really are very strong so I doubt that the chuck would drop or even move very much unless it gets a great deal of sideways force. Used carefully, with the alignment of the pressing tool, eg a 3D letter or picture stamp, checked right to the point of contact, it should work wonderfully well

mmm, this is giving me ideas; I have a spare chuck, magnets, ...........................

I have one of these, and it sticks to the ram really well ... BUT unless your arbor press is pretty big with lots of clearance between ram and base, it occupies much too much space to be practical.

Bill

I don't need too much clearance so hopefully it'd be alright. 

fredk I was also thinking I'd try to dyi this adaptor. Would love to see your's if you give it a try!

One other question regarding arbor presses, would a half ton be enough for what I'm wanting to use it for?

In the one pictured, and the 1/2 ton from Harbor Freight that I own, that bottom plate could be removed to gain some clearance if needed.  Seems like a thin plate of flat steel would be better for most leather applications anyway.

22 minutes ago, jshep said:

One other question regarding arbor presses, would a half ton be enough for what I'm wanting to use it for?

I think a half ton would be fine.  I have been using mine to punch five holes at once through 5 to 6 oz leather.

Half ton would likely do the job, but as Bill said above it's the throat size that's important.  I've got a one ton and I don't think there is enough space to use this.  If you go this route it might be best to order the chuck, then take it with you to buy the press.  I mostly set rivets with mine, so I just have a large magnet on the ram and it holds the rivet setter just fine.  Would love a chuck to use for punching holes.  It's a real pain with just the magnet.  

On 3/2/2017 at 10:57 PM, chiefjason said:

Half ton would likely do the job, but as Bill said above it's the throat size that's important.  I've got a one ton and I don't think there is enough space to use this.  If you go this route it might be best to order the chuck, then take it with you to buy the press.  I mostly set rivets with mine, so I just have a large magnet on the ram and it holds the rivet setter just fine.  Would love a chuck to use for punching holes.  It's a real pain with just the magnet.  

It ends up being a lot cheaper for me to purchase the press online (makes it hard to test out like that) and I did already order it. I wound up ordering a really strong rare earth magnet as well so I'll probably be doing what you mentioned with holding the rivets or tools that way! Hopefully that'll solve my problem, but if not I'm going to try and find a cheap drill at a thrift store and remove the chuck and attach a magnet to it. Seems a lot cheaper and customizable than the link I posted which in Canadian $$ ends up being around $80 (which is more than my arbor press!).

Edited by jshep

On 02/03/2017 at 1:51 AM, jshep said:

fredk I was also thinking I'd try to dyi this adaptor. Would love to see your's if you give it a try!

The press I thought of using is no longer available so that idea will have to go on the back burner