pzampino

How to add a divider to a bag with a gusset

I have been asked to make a bag with a gusset like the one in this photo, which has an internal divider. I'm looking for suggestions for securing the divider...

EvWk6_hKB-bBK__xZHmVz9Ud2WQZc2Wedu61gPNJ

Two ways jump out to me.  One is to do two gussets with a divider in the middle.  The other way is to attach the divider to the front or back panel of the bag.  That way you only have one gusset, but there will be 3 layers of leather at either the front or back edges.  This divider can be tight and function as a slim pocket or you can allow a little excess width and it will expand up towards the middle of the gusset.  I suppose a third way would be to sew a divider to the gusset, but you'd see the stitching line.  Now if you are using a liner, you have tons of options.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about splitting the gusset, but now I'm thinking about using an inside seam along the center of the gusset, to which I can attach the divider. We'll see how it goes...

I made a shotshell pouch with center divider and just sewed it to the gusset - was pretty easy and I think the thread color made a nice accent!

Picture didn't load on previous post

IMG_0067.JPG

50 minutes ago, garypl said:

Picture didn't load on previous post

IMG_0067.JPG

Well, that would be simpler than splitting the gusset...thanks for the suggestion and example.

Here's a better picture of the inside divider before I sewed on the front

IMG_0068.JPG

Just thought of another method.  If the gusset leather is thin enough, fold it outside in and stitch about 1/2" back from the fold.  Then you can attach the divider to the folded part and there will be no seam on the outside to show, just crease similar to a turned bag.