hwhleather

Best leather for strop making

I want to make some strops and I am wondering what the best leather to use is. Would Hermann oak 8/9 oz veg tan work? I have a lot of that on hand.

Could you explain why thinner is better for a strop?

Thanks,

Tom

I glue the leather onto a piece of scrap wood to make a strop, thinner leather doesn't 'give' so much as thicker leather when pulling a blade along it, my strops usually last a few months then go in the bin and make a new one.

Just in case you're interested,,,, I use two strops, one coated in fine grade automotive valve grinding paste and the other coated in 'TCut' which is an automotive paint restoring or polishing compound - my favourite for all-day-everyday use is the valve grinding paste but when I'm looking for a truly nasty edge for skiving thin soft stuff I give the blade a go on the TCut as well. Both of these products are a lot cheaper (and in my opinion better) than proprietary compounds.

stuff.jpg

valve-paste.jpg

TCut.jpg

here is a pic of 2 strops I made and use. I put white of green rouge on them. I really don't see a difference in them. one strop has a rubber backing ( mouse pad ) This is to strop my knives with a convex edge. the other I glued right on the wood. I used a softer leather, from what I have read you want a little "give" in the leather so it curves a bit on the edge.  You don't want the leather  to strop over the edge or it will dull it.    Now the key is keeping soft pressure, ( I have read about the same pressure and you use when you shave )  and keeping the correct angle. which is pretty narrow....      Of course, I built these for my knives, and for touch up they work really well. I can shave with most of my knives.

resiz 2 strop 2.jpg

resiz strop 1.jpg

PS.... this is a custom Stek knife I purchase a couple of years ago

I use veg tan on both sides of my strop. 

On one side I put veg tan on it then ruff it up a bit. On the other side I put veg tan then spread tallow fat all over the leather then put carborundum powder on it 

I think I have had this strop for 30 years and changed the leather  3 or 4 times . I add more tallow and powder every few years. 

I was a professional English style saddle maker making 5 0r 6 saddles a week. My strop was well used in these years.

In my video you can see my strop.