I'm about to buy a whole side of 9-10oz veg tanned for a specific project, and I'm going to have to cut at least three long straps from it, 2" or 3" wide each. I'm sure not going to do it with scissors! So what's the best tool for the job? Can I get away with just a sturdy straight edge and my trusty rotary knife? Or should I get a strap cutter? Or, heck, should I just go for broke and get a draw gauge? I've heard there's such a thing as a plow (plough?) gauge that might work, too, but that they don't make them anymore? Let's limit this discussion to tools readily available on the market.

Need a long straight edge to get your self a true straight edge on your side then a strap cutter.://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-strap-cutterhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.tandyleather.com/en/how-to-use-the-strap-cutter.html&ved=0ahUKEwjL8Yud4rvSAhVkzIMKHSEsAF8QFghjMAE&usg=AFQjCNGND4VnLNhOqDAiVcEg3ggWkPUGbw&sig2=w0ik95GXYE6XcilCF94hbg.       I find it easy and accurate. 

Edited by Mattsbagger

All are readily available for the right price. You can probably get by with what you have. The strap cutter is good, if you sharpen/polish that tiny blade. It is worth the effort.

The other two gauges I haven't used. 

A refurbished draw gauge can be found with Bruce Johnson. It will come in good condition and sharpened for about 40.00-100.00

://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/plough-gauges-and-draw-gauges/

A refurbished plough gauge can be had from Bruce as well for about 400.00.

I can only imagine the quality of the cut will raise with the price point.

You'll probably need a combination of both - that side may not come with a clean straight edge, so you'll need to make one with your trusty rotary cutter and a long straightedge. (I recommend clamping that edge down, I tend to slip on long cuts).

After that, those little wooden strap cutters do an amazingly good job for such an inexpensive tool. The trick is making sure you set the thickness of the leather properly at the blade end of the cross-piece so the leather doesn't try to roll up on you.

G'day  epiphanist1248

I see a good straight Plough Gauge (Dixon) for sale on www.eBay.co.uk  (england) currently at 149.00 pound around $180.00 US.  The roller looks to be good & horizontal, which is a good indication of its operating condition.  They don't make new plough gauges as good as the old ones.  

Regards

Alan

I use my round knife to give the leather its straight edge. Then I use a plough  gauge.

In this video you see me using my plough at the beginning. 

Springfield leather has a good video on using a strap cutter..but i was not good at using it..

40 minutes ago, ricroy said:

Springfield leather has a good video on using a strap cutter..but i was not good at using it..

Try sharpening polishing the blade. It made a world of difference for me.

Edited by bikermutt07

Thanks, Kevin at Springfield leather suggested using a different blade which protrudes a little through the wood. but it worked well and could adjust the blade up or down a little for more cutting ...

On 3/4/2017 at 11:11 AM, TheCyberwolfe said:

You'll probably need a combination of both - that side may not come with a clean straight edge, so you'll need to make one with your trusty rotary cutter and a long straightedge. (I recommend clamping that edge down, I tend to slip on long cuts).

After that, those little wooden strap cutters do an amazingly good job for such an inexpensive tool. The trick is making sure you set the thickness of the leather properly at the blade end of the cross-piece so the leather doesn't try to roll up on you.

I've had an appendectomy and a few other projects and distractions since the original post, but I did just yesterday get around to cutting into that side.

I started with my trusty Fiskars 60mm rotary knife and a Swanson edge cutting guide I got from the hardware store (basically, it's a really long aluminum bar, and it comes with C clamps) and cut the funky edges off the top. It took two passes but I got a nice, clean, straight edge from which to work. Then I took the wooden strap cutter I'd taken a chance on, remembered the above-quoted advice, used a fresh blade, and cut six or seven terrific strips with it. Really glad I went with that rather than spend the money on the draw gauge. I might get one eventually, but for now the strap cutter and my rotary knife are all I need.

Edited by epiphanist1248

Learn to use a draw gauge and when you do, you'll never look back. Like all tools, learn to sharpen and then, not the only way, just my way, select blades with a sharp point and punch in to the beginning of the strap leaving ~ 1/2 inch attached to make handling the strap easier then cut it loose  after finishing.

When I cut a long straight edge, I used to clamp my straightedge to my table because it always moved when holding it by hand.  Today I rigged up the straightedge with 2 thumbscrews and threaded inserts .  Drilled a couple of holes in the top edge of my bench and threaded the inserts slightly below the surface of the workbench.  Now I simply slide the leather under the straightedge, tighten the 2 thumbscrews, and make the cut.  If the leather is longer than my cutting mat, I loosen the thumbscrews and slide the cutting mat further under the leather.  This is quicker and easier than fumbling to tighten clamps without moving the straightedge.  If I want to work in this area of my bench I unscrew the thumbscrews and remove the straightedge.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg