Sign in to follow this  
twostepct

How to get a certain color?

I am currently working on a purse for my fiance. It involves a large amount of basketweave with a small amount of carving. I am looking for the correct way to get the golden color on the leather (much like the color of the horse/wagon carving at the top left of the screen). I have found some information that tends to indicate that it is an oiled and sealed finish. That particular source of information says that they use olive oil and let the sun color it. I have tried it and got more of a carmel color than the above. I have also tried pure neatsfoot with a better result. I have also tried diluting antique finish but it seemed to take the 'life' out of the leather. I have also tried using fiebings bag-kote and some leather glow but it didn't look anywhere near like that, and it seemed to make it look dirty. The bag will be finished with either neat-lac or super sheen. There will also be a small amount of dark brown dye that will be applied within the design. I apologize for being so vague on the design, but my luck she would stumble upon this site and the secret would be out! Does anyone have any pointers? Thanks, Tyson

Hello Tyson

Welcome to the group !

You have a somewhat common situation. You have some variables that will always affect the results.

The source and tanning methods of your leather will have a big bearing on the richness of your color. Some tanneries in other countries take some short cuts to keep the costs down or they just simply don't have the $$$$ for the best methods available today.

The finish that you are after can be achieved easily with fresh quality veg tan leather and pure neatsfoot oil. You can take it a tad darker with feibings saddle oil with silicon. Neatsoot compound(not reccomended) will of course take it much darker. Olive oil has been proven over the years to be a decent treatment for some items but I would not reccomend it for a purse. It has been known to go rancid and insects are also fond of it.

I have had good results using leather cremes rather than oil for a more golden color. Aussie dressing comes to mind along with leather dressings made by Stubben and Passier.

You can sun tan the leather but it should be done before oiling and then in moderation. Items oiled with pure neatsfoot will lighten up over several days after treatment as the oil migrates through the fibers.

A finish of Tan-Kote will give a mellow richness to the color and after it is dry, a more permanent finish can be applied over that.

I know this doesn't really answer your question so maybe some more information from you will help .

Bottom line is you are going to have to find the limits of the leather that you are using and then go from there.

Kind Regards

Blake

PS Where are you located in Texas?

Thanks for the reply! I applied two good coats of pure neatsfoot oil today and I like the way it looked before I left for work at 3:30pm this afternoon. I will look at it when I get home and see how much more it has lightened up. I looked at some stuff hanging in the local leather shop and the manager said that she finished it with pure neatsfoot oil. She also said that it will get darker with time and I'm sure this will as well, so I may just leave it alone. I will have to look into the Aussie dressing idea and try that. This is not going to be the last purse I make her so I will have others to experement with. I don't know how fresh the leather was when I bought it, but it is very pliable and in extremely good shape. The worst part of this project is going to be hand stitching it all together! Thanks, Tyson.

BTW, I am in Abilene.