Here are a couple of wallets I made recently, hope you like them.  Some made from bags of scrap leather.

IMG_20170226_145820_862.jpg

IMG_20170226_144920_691.jpg

IMG_20170226_143928_362.jpg

IMG_20161217_100836.jpg

IMG_20161217_101400.jpg

Edited by JHobbs

Them are pretty cool. I like the colors expecially. I like the one with the strap. Is it a pocket flap or just decorative? 

Good looking stuff, a little different. I like the pebbled interior with that dye job you did. Maybe a little bigger pictures next time so we can see a few more details. The one with the flap did you stitch the extra strap ontop of the strap to allow pull tabs for both in and out? If so thats a pretty good detail. 

23 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

Them are pretty cool. I like the colors expecially. I like the one with the strap. Is it a pocket flap or just decorative? 

I think you are referring to the 4th one, it is a flap for the credit card pocket.  I made welt I believe you call it, so there are 3 layers of leather around the outside the front the back and then another for thickness like for the knife edge side of a sheath. Thanks for your comments.

21 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

Good looking stuff, a little different. I like the pebbled interior with that dye job you did. Maybe a little bigger pictures next time so we can see a few more details. The one with the flap did you stitch the extra strap ontop of the strap to allow pull tabs for both in and out? If so thats a pretty good detail. 

Thank you, the peddle interior is actually frog skin. For picture size I had some trouble getting the right size for the forum, I will work on that. The small strap is doubled up to give a pull tab it is not stitched and just the front 1/2 glued as to not appear to busy.

IMG_20161217_100836.jpg

......Frog skin??...you used the skin of a Frenchman? Is that even legal? 

How did you get the one pictured first to fold over so nicely? Very nice work brother

Nice,  I like the addition of the challenge coin holder. 

Those are really nice. 

On 3/5/2017 at 0:50 PM, JHobbs said:

Bigger.jpg

Can you tell me why you (and others) take the thread outside the seam (at the ends of the stitch rows)? It seems to me that these would quickly become worn and weakened over time. I've seen it a lot, and I'm wondering why it's done this way.

6 hours ago, pzampino said:

Those are really nice. 

Can you tell me why you (and others) take the thread outside the seam (at the ends of the stitch rows)? It seems to me that these would quickly become worn and weakened over time. I've seen it a lot, and I'm wondering why it's done this way.

It's a practice borrowed from saddlery. It reinforces a strap when sewing on a buckle or loop. I don't think it provides much utility in a wallet seam, but it does no harm and some people like the look. I guess it proves the seam is hand stitched, at least. If the thread wears through you either need a better thread or to stop carrying rocks in your pocket :P

your wallets are very nicely displayed the stitching is wonderful from learning the reason why the stitching is outside the seam I will start doing the same on my wallets nicely done  

16 hours ago, Matt S said:

It's a practice borrowed from saddlery. It reinforces a strap when sewing on a buckle or loop. I don't think it provides much utility in a wallet seam, but it does no harm and some people like the look. I guess it proves the seam is hand stitched, at least. If the thread wears through you either need a better thread or to stop carrying rocks in your pocket :P

Thanks for the explanation.

These are so cool.  I will be trying that splatter technique in the near future.

Thank you for your comments. 

On 3/6/2017 at 0:43 PM, BlakeSmith said:

How did you get the one pictured first to fold over so nicely? Very nice work brother

Not sure how you mean to fold over, to lay closed or end so uniformly?  I create my templates in adobe illustrator so after a couple of test runs I get the size I like and its a done deal.  I believe the first one was 4oz and the inner pockets are a little heavier like 7-8oz I believe that seems to give the sides a little weight to lay closed.  The first wallet is basically the same design as the splattered ones except to cut down on sewing time I made the splatter wallets from one piece of leather cutting out the need to sew the bottom edge.  I take the stitch outside the seem mostly to show that it is hand stitched like Matt S stated. I do not care for a stitching groove either. I have been using tiger thread without any issues of wear.

On 3/5/2017 at 4:15 PM, kiwican said:

......Frog skin??...you used the skin of a Frenchman? Is that even legal? 

We get a lot of French Canadians down here in Florida!

What kind of leather did you use on the first wallet with the initial H on it?I like very much, plain but classy.

Jim

On 6/7/2017 at 5:32 PM, Jimmy McLaughlin said:

What kind of leather did you use on the first wallet with the initial H on it?I like very much, plain but classy.

Jim

Thank you. The outside piece is actually a 8X11 piece of 4oz (I believe) I got from the hobby lobby the inside is from scrap pieces I get. I textured it with a piece of stingray.