Hi all,

I've been using some cotton cloths I had around the house to apply neatsfoot oil and Aussie Finish and generally buff my work. I haven't gotten there yet, but I know you can also use cloths to apply dye. So... I was wondering, what do you guys do when these cloths get dirty? Ditch them and start anew or does anybody toss them in the washer and if so, what are you using to clean them? Seems like kind of a waste to toss them, but I don't want to contaminate one project with something leftover from another.

Also, I'm assuming you have different cloths for different products/types of products. How do you split them up? One per product or one per type of product (e.g., alcohol based dyes vs. finishes vs. oils)?

Thanks!

Edited by strathmoredesigns

I was my buffing cloths and only use for buffing with Aussie. For dye my best results have come from the orange Tandy high density sponges. One for each color so no color transfer. Just rinsed in the sink after use and left to dry. YMMV.

Thanks @Mattsbagger. What would you recommend for neatsfoot oil and what do you use for general buffing then?

Old tshirts mainly. Cut them up, and when they get dirty I throw them away. Charity shops are a good place to get them. I put neetsfoot on with a dauber or sponge.

I either dip or use a sponge for dye. A sponge for neetsfoot. Sponges are the cheap washing-up ones 10 for 99p [10 for $1 to you]

For buffing; As Mattsbagger, bits of old teeshirts or cotton rag I get from a car finisher supplier.

All disposed of after a project is done. Only one not thrown away too often is my rag block for applying beeswax/neetsfoot polish finish on.