Sign in to follow this  
The Major

Tips for braiding inside curves?

I am familiar with the process for edge braiding along an outside curve, but I am about to face a project that will force a braid along an inside curve. Do you handle these by subtracting a hole or two along this curve? Please let me know. Thanks

Thanks Dave! Appreciate the help

My wife Sheryl is the braider but we just had this conversation. I will take some pictures and post them in the next day of some of her work. She has done an applique S and a snake that we still have. She adjusted the spacing of the holes.

Think of the spokes on a wagon wheel. The closer in to the hub the closer the spokes are to each other. The farther out from the hub the farther apart they are.

There is a point that you would have such a tight corner that you would have to double up on the inside holes but if you are talking curves then changing the spacing will work and look nice. In fact it looks better then doubling up lace in the inside holes does.

I think this is what you were asking about. If you are asking about an edge braid like the double loop (cordovan) then there are only one line of holes. With the braid on the inside you would not need to drop any holes. You would want to space the holes out more then you would if you were braiding on the outside. The same reason as with an applique. You have less room on the inside and the lace would get squeezed together. I do not think there is a formula, just have to do a short test to work it out.

Tom Katzke

& Sheryl

Central Oregon

I am familiar with the process for edge braiding along an outside curve, but I am about to face a project that will force a braid along an inside curve. Do you handle these by subtracting a hole or two along this curve? Please let me know. Thanks