I really need some help.  My old Rex 11-155R has been working Great for years.  It sat idle for a few months and then when I went out to the shop to do a job...The Stitch it made was almost 3/8" long and the Adjustment Knob would NOT work.  Knob functions as designed but...Stitch Length remains at 9mm or bigger.  I removed the top and back access plates as well as the Knob assembly and for the Life of me cannot figure out how it is supposed to work.  I searched the interior of the machine and found NO broken pieces and could not see where the Pointed End of the knob or the shaft came in contact with any other moving parts.  Does anyone know how this thing works and why it is no longer working.  Took it to a repair shop and it sat for 10 days and no one even looked at it.  Got mad and went and picked it up and took these pics hoping someone on here might know the answer.  I've done the timing in the past, Replaced the entire hook etc.. and as I said it was working fine.  Now...NADA!!!!

HELP!!!!!

RexBackPlateView.jpg

RexInternalTop View.jpg

RexBreakDown.jpg

Edited by woodonglass

Does your reverse lever still work?

If that stitch length adjustment shaft with the round tip doesn't touch anything, that's likely a problem. Those pins normally provide a stop for the reverse lever movement, both top and bottom. Normally when you adjust the stitch length, the reverse lever also moves up and down a little. The problem may well be with the part that normally touches that pin. Your reverse lever is likely pegged at the top for maximum stitch length. If the reverse lever still works, then your stitch length pins isn't providing a stop for the reverse lever. Maybe a set screw came loose. 

Below's a picture that shows how many machines are designed. The part in question is #2 - that's the part that is supposed to be resting against the pin as it is rotated by the reverse lever. 

The parts diagram below is from a Juki DLU-490, which may not even be close to your machine. Do you know which Nakajima or Juki model your Rex is a copy of? A proper parts diagram will be valuable in determining what's supposed to be where.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 12.55.46 AM.png

Edited by Uwe

This composite from the Juki DU-141NH parts diagram may be closer to what your machine looks like. I've arranged the parts so that the pin points directly at the part it's supposed to be touching.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 1.31.48 AM.png

Edited by Uwe

On 2/26/2017 at 9:18 PM, woodonglass said:

WOW!!!  Thanks for the Quick Reply.  This is starting to make sense.  I DID notice that the pin Seemed to want to interact with the  backstitch arm.  Hmmm,  It VERY difficult to actually SEE whats going on in side due to cramped quarters.  Here's the schematic from my machine.  Maybe you can make sense of it.  I Think It's tryin to contact the circled par.  Might it be the allen Screw (*37) that may have fallen out that needs to be replaced??  Have Not seen one laying in or under the machine but...May Be it has!!!

Thanks for all your help!!!

On 2/26/2017 at 9:18 PM, woodonglass said:

RexSchematic.jpg

Edited by woodonglass

That circled part connects the reverse lever shaft to the spring that gives the reverse the springy feel and keeps it pegged at the top unless you press down on the lever.

Can you please post the PDF file (or a link if available online) of the parts manual where your parts diagram with the red circle came from? I still don't know which original your REX is based on.

Edited by Uwe

It turns out I had a Rex 11-155R in storage and I brought it home to make a short video showing on how the reverse lever and stitch length dial mechanism work together on this machine. Hopefully it'll illuminate the subject matter to figure out what might be causing your machine to misbehave.

Interesting!  Seems like if you have a machine that works like this, you could probably hold the lever at mid-point when adjusting stitch length and avoid some wear in the parts.

OMG!!!  If I can't fix it now, I'm a Blooming Idiot!!!!    This is Fantastic!  I searched the web and NEVER could find anything other than how to thread the machine.  Making this video for me is Such a GREAT thing for you to do.  I can't thank you enough.    I'll get to work on it now and keep you posted on my progress!!!

Thanks.gif

Edited by woodonglass

Yup, She's running and stitching like a NewOne!!!  

Maybe I can return the favor some day.  All I had to do was remove the stitch length shaft.  Pull the reverse arm down and then screw the shaft back in.  It engaged in the "V" section and VOILA'  All is well.  I guess I must have somehow got it disengaged at some point but it's fine now and works just like your's in the video.  Amazing what a little video and borrowed knowledge can do!!!

UWE your ARE THE MAN!!!!