Tyverus

Softer than veg?

I'm curious as to what kind of leather would be recommended for garments and softer bags. Is lining leather appropriate or is it too thin? Being newer to leather work, where would one source such a leather? Tandy does seem to have a couple lining leathers and even milled veg but I'm not certain. I ask since most of the wallets i've made out of veg have been exceedingly stiff and the thought of making a bag that stiff is off-putting. I've seen some recommendations for using neatsfoot oil or carnauba cream to condition leather but does it soften it to be more pliable or just slightly so?

Thanks in advance,

Lots of options out there.  The basic answer though is "chrome tan".  Tandy sells it too.  Think garment or upholstery leather.

There are many animal hides that can be used for what you wish to make but the most common "generic grouping" title is Nappa leather which is sometimes labelled as aniline leather.

Hides that fall into this group, which though technically lambskin, may also include goat and some calfskins too.  All will provide you with a genuine hide that is soft and easy to work.

Awesome thanks guys!