Webicons

Hello from NY

Just joined the forum and recently started to learn the craft (little over a month). I'm really enjoying the process and I find that it helps me unwind after a crappy day at work. 

Since joining I have truly learned a great deal from just lurking around. 

As I post things, please feel free to comment one way or another. I have thick skin and believe that the best way to learn is to make mistakes and take criticism as constructive and not destructive though I appreciate a little leniency as I learn to crawl.

My interests are in watch strap making, journal covers and small odds and ends but this may change as my skills improve (would be cool to make myself a pair of shoes one day). Other hobbies include metal working, fabrication and spending time with my kids. 

I really appreciate the forum, years of knowledge being passed down and looking forward to being a productive member myself one day.

Welcome to the forum. Everyone here is really polite. I doubt you will need the thick skin around here.

If I can offer some advice I got here....

Start small and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Making the same small items over and over will help you develop all the different disciplines. Keeping it small gives you more time at the bench with said amount of leather.

Example: Make 25 bracelets from 1 shoulder. That gives you a month or so of hobby time with 50.00 worth of leather.

In those 25 Bracelets you can learn to dye, edge bevel, sand, burnish, build you hardware knowledge, finish, stamp and tool, laminating, stitching and more.

Plus if you screw 1 up, you're only out about .50 worth of leather.

This can be done with key fobs, watch bands, bracelets, and small card wallets.

It will really build some value into that 1 single shoulder.

The advice I received has been elaborated upon. I was told build one thing over and over until you are really good at it. Then move on.

So good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the warm welcome BikerMutt - Solid recommendation. I have been trying to do just that; repeating the same design until I get it right. 

I am currently trying to improve my stitching, figuring out how the thread sizes impact the look, trying different dyeing techniques, etc.  I am doing this on pretty much the same general design.  I am a process guy so I can appreciate practice, practice, practice philosophy.  Hell, it took me a year to get TIG welding right. 

It's almost daunting how much there is to learn and practice but I am committed to getting the basics down little by little.  

It's great to know that the board is friendly and I feel comfortable enough to ask stupid questions.