utah leather

veg tan hides

Does anyone know where I can buy ( with no minimum ) veg tan sides and shoulders out west 

Like in person or how most of us do and get it shipped?

Typical sources Goliger, Wicket and Craig, Maverick, Hidehouse, .........

I dont know of any in person places in your area, probably only thing would be Tandy if there is one but I couldnt in good conscience recommend there leather.  

Edited by MADMAX22

I had to try it once, so I did buy a side and a shoulder because they were on sale and I thought if worse came to worse I would use them for practice. So far besides the bug bite spots the shoulder cuts like butter and the side was ok, I didn't notice much difference between tandy and the other supplier I use from Ohio. All of Tandy's hides are from foreign countries, My supplier in Ohio uses hides from USA and there is no minimum and I can actually call and talk to him directly, but I still keep looking for someone out here that can match his prices and no minimum.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:55 PM, utah leather said:

Does anyone know where I can buy ( with no minimum ) veg tan sides and shoulders out west 

The Hide House in Napa, CA is where I get my stuff from because they have a selection of much more than just simple leathers.  They are supplier to the designer leather goods and medical industry so they carry a huge range of leathers.  I get all of my H.O. leather from them and their European sides (From England) are some of the finest foreign sides you will find.  Their website is:  www.hidehouse.com and they are very quick to get your order out.  They also offer wholesale pricing for anyone who has an established business (licensed of course) and you can download or request a catalog from them as well.

thanks, I just looked at their web site and I will be calling them Monday to find out a few things, have you ever bought any of their 10 11 oz veg tan economy sides if so what did you think ?

Edited by utah leather

I tell you what, I miss the days when I could go down to Salt Lake Leather. 

Maybe before your time there in the valley, don't know. That was a great place.

I don't live in the valley anymore. Is Tandy's still on south State Street in SL? They never had the best leather. But pretty good sometimes. 

yeah it's still there and the other location is in sandy, I found salt lake leather and findings ( is that the store you were talking about  ? didn't know about this place but going to look into it to see if they sell sides and shoulders, when did you live in SLC ?

Can you tell us who your supplier is in Ohio? 

8 hours ago, utah leather said:

yeah it's still there and the other location is in sandy, I found salt lake leather and findings ( is that the store you were talking about  ? didn't know about this place but going to look into it to see if they sell sides and shoulders, when did you live in SLC ?

Hi,

I lived in Salt Lake most of my life, over 40 years anyway. But not for the last 14 or so.  The old Salt Lake Leather was downtown. Long gone I'm afraid.  Been gone for 30+ years. I'm not sure I'd bother with Intermountain Leather and Findings. I only went in there once, years ago, and as I remember, he is mostly a wholesale supplier to shoe repair shops, etc.

I think if it were me, I'd probably just order a side from somewhere like Wickett & Craig.  That's what I'm about to do.  Shipping is an additional cost but.... 

Probably just going to order from my usual supplier in Ohio, he is cheaper and I get him directly on his cell phone instead of someone else I like that