NickPol

New to sewing machines

Hi all, I am new to the world of sewing machines and I was hoping I could count on your opinions to narrow down my options. I currently hand stitch wallets, belts, bags. The range of leather I use it between 3/4oz to 8/10oz Veg Tan Leather. The most leather I would probably be sewing is 12oz (two 5/6oz together) total with cloth lining. Some bags do have zippers in them so sewing a single layer of 3/4oz leather to put in a zipper is a must. I do prefer larger thread  size of #277. I have been looking at the Cobra class 26 but  have seen conflicting answers about what max thread size it will sew 207 or 277. When I reached out to Springfield leather to ask since they had 277 on their site, they said that was a mistake then changed it to 207. Which confused me a bit since I thought that I found the right machine for me. I appreciate your suggestions to help guide my search.

Talk to people who actually know a good deal about those machines and have been selling them for many many years like Bob at toledo sewing, Steve at cobra, there are others but I am bad with names. 

The 26 class does look like a nice machine and would be perfect for the thickness you plan on sewing along with having a bunch of attachments available that will help with doing bags. A 441 cloner would be good for 277 and thicker thread but your going to run into a tough time with less then 6oz and thats kind of pushing it IMHO (I know others do thinner and I have also but its not ideal). 

One of the few machines I'm aware of that is designed to cover the range of what you want to do, and does it well, is the new Juki LS-2347H ( Juki-LS-2342 flyer.pdf ) Official specs for the "H" version covers thread sizes 69-266. I got a demo of this machine at the trade show in Atlanta last May and it is a seriously impressive machine, with a price tag to match. At an estimated $7-8K it may seem expensive, but it's really cheaper than the original Juki TSC-441 was back in the '80s if you account for inflation. Size wise and application range wise this machine fits neatly between the Juki LS-1341 (Cobra Class 26) and the Juki TSC-441 (Cobra Class 4), with enough overlap on both ends to make it worthy of consideration. You can buy cheaper vintage or clone machines, but then you'll be paying for the difference in stress, aggravation, blood pressure medication, and eventually additional machines.

Here's a demo video of the machine to give a sense of scale.

Edited by Uwe

23 hours ago, Uwe said:

One of the few machines I'm aware of that is designed to cover the range of what you want to do, and does it well, is the new Juki LS-2347H ( Juki-LS-2342 flyer.pdf ) Official specs for the "H" version covers thread sizes 69-266. I got a demo of this machine at the trade show in Atlanta last May and it is a seriously impressive machine, with a price tag to match. At an estimated $7-8K it may seem expensive, but it's really cheaper than the original Juki TSC-441 was back in the '80s if you account for inflation. Size wise and application range wise this machine fits neatly between the Juki LS-1341 (Cobra Class 26) and the Juki TSC-441 (Cobra Class 4), with enough overlap on both ends to make it worthy of consideration. You can buy cheaper vintage or clone machines, but then you'll be paying for the difference in stress, aggravation, blood pressure medication, and eventually additional machines.

Here's a demo video of the machine to give a sense of scale.

That seems like a great machine but i think 7-8k is out of my price range. 

How about the NEW TechSew 3850.  All this in the base package, just under $1700 looks like a great deal? 

•Powerful compound walking foot feeding mechanism
•Sews from 5-6oz leather up to 1/2" thick
•10.5" cylinder arm
•Extra large capacity bobbin
•Reverse feed for reinforcing stitches
•Includes chrome plated double-toe foot & center groover foot - will not leave footprints on leather
•Equipped with the 1HP 800W Techsew SmartServo motor and speed reducer to sew at slow & controlled speeds - great for novice, intermediate and professional sewers
•Large heavy duty flywheel
•Uses the same needles, bobbins and presser feet as the Techsew 4100, 5100 series
•Includes fully assembled reinforced U-table, bobbin winder, lamp, threadstand, accessories (needles & bobbins), tools, instruction manual
•Includes Limited Lifetime Warranty and FREE technical support for the life of your machine
•Machine comes pre-threaded, oiled, adjusted and READY TO SEW