JustinPierce

Decorative saddle stitch

I was fooling around this morning making a sheath of sorts for my X-acto knife. 

I decided to experiment a bit, the green is .8mm, normal saddle stitch, the 1mm ivory thread is basically just cast over with the green thread, a thread inlay, I guess. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any photos as I was doing it. 

The start and finish is definitely clunky, but I only have 2" of experience doing this. 

It seems mildly interesting, but I haven't really thought of an application where I would use it. 

So, have any of you used a modified saddle stitch, or some other decorative type stitch in your work?  Either as an accent, or as a primary stitch?

I keep thinking it has potential, I'm just not sure for what? 

IMG_20170312_111949.jpg

There are several types of decorative stitches out there.  I haven't seen one like yours before, but it's cool.  One of the simpler ones is as simple as tying together two colors of thread and then doing a normal saddle stitch.  There's a subject on here about it.    Another is presented in a video by LWN member GMACE.  There have been others shown on here, and still more around I'm sure.  

Bill

13 minutes ago, billybopp said:

There are several types of decorative stitches out there.  I haven't seen one like yours before, but it's cool.  One of the simpler ones is as simple as tying together two colors of thread and then doing a normal saddle stitch.  There's a subject on here about it.    Another is presented in a video by LWN member GMACE.  There have been others shown on here, and still more around I'm sure.  

Bill

Thanks for the links Bill, those are both very interesting.

I had seen that thread here about two colors of thread, but I had forgotten about it.

Its is nice I like it for the right project

You're welcome.  I've been looking about for a decorative stitch myself, but I want to have the stitches lie very straight, rather than our beloved angled stitches.  I've been experimenting a bit, but haven't quite found what I want yet.

Bill

This one is not mine, and not a straight stitch, but it's one I keep running across as I've been searching.

It's interesting nonetheless. I have never tracked it back to it's original source, but I find it splashed around Pintrest.

It might spark some more ideas though.

decorative stitch.jpg

Another couple of classic styles when butting two pieces of leather together is a baseball stitch or a cross stitch - with a couple of others in these subjects too, including twisted rope.    There are a lot of possibilities with some research, or imagination, or both!

Those are some great resources too!

Now the creative juices are starting to flow, I feel some half baked ideas beginning to form already!

Another idea is to make the stitching lines part of a carved design rather than just a line around the edge. I'll hunt out the picture I saw on pinterest. I'll give it a go when my stitching gets better.