Cantab91

"American" big iron machine - anyone ever seen one of these?

Anyone know this big iron machine? This was listed locally and I really need it :-). Im a sucker for old machines and its red. I think that the brand is American - you can see it down the pedestal. Would like to know more about it. I'm sure it will need some work and I'll have to become an expert fixer to coax it to sing for me. My husband isn't sure that this won't be too heavy to add to my sewing room that used to be our living room. I think it will look lovely next to my 5 other machines. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that knows this baby.

image.png

That is an American Straight Needle shoe sole stitcher. If your husband needs to sew outsoles onto midsoles, that will be a good machine for his business. Other than that, the only other possible use might be sewing along the very edge of holsters and knife sheathes. There is virtually no available depth behind the needle, without removing the built-in edge guide. There is no reverse or turning the work around. Also, it is meant for very heavy expensive linen thread run through heated wax, although it could be changed to liquid wax after cleaning out the old hardened wax residue.

The American Straight Needle uses an awl to punch a hole and move the leather sideways. The needles comes up from the bottom and a looper arm feeds the linen thread into a barb in the top of the needle. The needle then descends and pulls the thread down and around the bobbin to form a lockstitch.

Wiz, why talk about what her husband would or wouldn't do with it?  Women are extremely capable.  As one who wears many hats herself, I do hope that was just a simple error on your part.

25 minutes ago, cjartist said:

Wiz, why talk about what her husband would or wouldn't do with it?  Women are extremely capable.  As one who wears many hats herself, I do hope that was just a simple error on your part.

We are all waiting Wiz. :)

Regards, Eric 

Thanks for the big laugh people.

took a whoopen on that one.

I apologize to all the females I've offended. I'm done with Leatherworker.net for now. It's been a blast. Goodbye.

:popcorn:  

Just joining you in the gallery, Constabulary.

Where is the thanks???Ohh and if I upset anybody whatever their gender ...........I don't care......:)

Without any thanks as often seems to be the case I think whatever the hat you wear the reason to try and help anyone seems a bit pointless. Simple.

I would love this site to have a thanks button, and possibly a smiley tongue in cheek emoticon.

4 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Where is the thanks???Ohh and if I upset anybody whatever their gender ...........I don't care......:)

Without any thanks as often seems to be the case I think whatever the hat you wear the reason to try and help anyone seems a bit pointless. Simple.

I wasn't the one asking questions, just making about point that one should not be quick to judge.

Wiz, don't leave.  You are a huge asset to this forum.  I didn't mean to offend, was just asking for a bit of respect.

I would love this site to have a thanks button, and possibly a smiley tongue in cheek emoticon.

HTH
Some thanks and or respect emoticons / kaomojis..
thanks
(ʃƪˆ▿ˆ)

this one can be thanks or respect ( also known as kowtow )
m(_ _)m (can also be used for apology, when it is known as dogeza )

tongue in cheek
:-J or :J or ;J or even 8-;)

further reading ( there is a lot of other reference material out of there, emoticons / kaomojis were used waaay before the internet was a gleam in TBL's eye )
http://www.gomotes.com/text-emoticons/
* the graphical smiley for tongue in cheek is disallowed ( post is refused ) on this forum !

Edited by mikesc

The original poster is new here, and she had mentioned in one of her first posts that she was working with lamb skin and “more delicate leathers”, so Wiz’s comment could have been referring to this machine as not being the one for her, but maybe her husband could make use of it to start up a different business.

I didn’t see anything in his post about women not being capable.  I think that’s a bum rap.

CD in Oklahoma

No good deed will go unpunished...

I think Wis' post could be taken more than one way.  Over time I have read many of his posts, they have always been polite, respectful and meant to help.. not hurt.  I think he very much deserves the benefit of the doubt on this bit of ambiguity.

Wis, your contributions to this forum are valuable, especially for people newer to using industrial machines.  I hope you will stay and continue to be part of this great forum.

Oh I don't think he will be gone long, maybe about as long as his shop hours, so at closing time he'll be back, he's kind of like Aunuld he'll be back!

1 hour ago, Sonydaze said:

No good deed will go unpunished...

Boy.....Ain't that the truth.

11 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Just joining you in the gallery, Constabulary.

I'm watching from the bleachers

You popcorn-eaters think that you're supporting Wiz?  He's helped me several times, and I hate to see him go.  Has he not ever helped you?  Have you ever seen him say something that wasn't true as far as he knew?  He said "I'm done with Leatherworker.net for now. It's been a blast. Goodbye."  Do you really think that he was joking?

CD in Oklahoma

I hope wizz is just joking!

I think wizz thought the machine was for the husband. He read the first post to quick maybe and didn't understand it.

He doesn't have to apologize to anyone. He never showed disrespect to anybody. Never. Wizz is one of the most respectfull and helpfull people on this forum.

Hoping you fooled me Wizz. 

Sandy.

31 minutes ago, cdthayer said:

You popcorn-eaters think that you're supporting Wiz?  He's helped me several times, and I hate to see him go.  Has he not ever helped you?  Have you ever seen him say something that wasn't true as far as he knew?  He said "I'm done with Leatherworker.net for now. It's been a blast. Goodbye."  Do you really think that he was joking?

CD in Oklahoma

I have reread cjartist's post carefully, and am unsure why it would have been taken so personally.   It wasn't harsh, or 'heavy' just pointing out it was a woman asking about a machine, not her hubby.

A valid view was made, and again, no way a critical comment (possibly mildly, and jokingly rebuking).   Maybe it's the old problem of people not alway getting the correct emotion of a comment, and taking something as more serious than it was intended.

As a popcorn-eater I wait in the gallery to see why it caused such a reaction, as I would do on any forum, for anyone.   

If you look back through the site posts over the years, you’ll notice that there have been several knowledgeable members that were very active on the board answering questions, giving advice, and trying to help resolve leather working problems, that are no longer giving of themselves as much today.  Sure, some of them have passed on, or moved off into some other medium, but many of them that are still here and used to be one of the first to come to the aid of a newbie are not posting much any longer.  Wiz was still posting, and putting up with the newbie lack of knowledge.

The other experts are still here, but they know how some PC poster can flame them at the drop of a hat, like just happened to Wiz.  What are the chances that Hippo did not know that the OP had been looking for a machine to sew lamb skin purses in the only 5 posts that she had made when she asked about this machine?  And there’s no telling how many PMs that she may have exchanged with Wiz about her business, her purses, her search for the perfect machine, and maybe even a potential business for her husband, or anything else about her purse business.

I think that the Hippo poster from the east coast jumped the gun to blast her liberal opinion without researching anything at all.  As a member of the fly-over section of this nation, I’m not surprised.  I’ve left other forums because of crap like this, and wouldn’t blame Wiz if he did the same.  I’m with RockyAussie.  If anyone wants to get their panties in a bunch, help yourself.  I don’t like this PC crap.

CD in Oklahoma

Edited by cdthayer

I didn't read all of CD's last post just skimmed over it but was also thinking along the same lines, but I'll put it a different way, not everyone gets a trophy here not even for just showing up.  Ya need yer big boi pants to hang out here sometimes.  With all that said I think that with the WIZ beun a moderator here he has to have some thicker skin than what the posting would call for, and because he is a mod I think he will be back.  But not knowing who or what kind of tender flower is sitting on the other side of a monitor maybe we all sort of need to think about what and how we might say sumpthin, I'm just sayun but I still think the WIZER will be back after a few cold ones and he has put his Monday in the box.

1 hour ago, cdthayer said:

The other experts are still here, but they know how some PC poster can flame them at the drop of a hat, like just happened to Wiz.  

How did I flame anyone?  What I said was:

On 3/12/2017 at 8:15 PM, cjartist said:

Yes, I was offended by his assumption that a woman would have no use for a heavy machine like that.  I did look at the OP's activity and she never mentioned that her husband is involved.

I then tried to soften the blow of this terrible wall of flames that I somehow lit by saying:

10 hours ago, cjartist said:

I wasn't the one asking questions, just making about point that one should not be quick to judge.

Wiz, don't leave.  You are a huge asset to this forum.  I didn't mean to offend, was just asking for a bit of respect.

So CDThayer from Oklahoma,  what is your problem exactly??  My opinion is not 'liberal' but feminist.  I have always worked in predominantly male fields and have faced a form of competence discrimination my whole life, up and until I was able to prove myself as capable.  Having to prove yourself time again to the boys gets old after twenty or thirty years.

But go ahead ... demonize me some more if it makes you feel better.