Anyone tried this leather??  Was thinking of giving it a go and would be delighted to hear if anyone has had experience with it.

Thanks!!

I haven't yet, but like you, I have been eyeballing it for certain projects.  Interested to hear from the experience of others.

Much of Tandy veg tan  leather is not good, or what I like. Sorry but I wouldn't buy it. I only buy Herman Oak.

Only bought leather once from Tandy, and that was because they were having a sale.   It was ok, but really hairy on the back.

Conclusion, unless it is really cheap, save your money, and get it from one of the places reccommended by folk on here.

2 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Only bought leather once from Tandy, and that was because they were having a sale.   It was ok, but really hairy on the back.

Conclusion, unless it is really cheap, save your money, and get it from one of the places reccommended by folk on here.

Like you, I have previously purchased some pretty hairy leather from tandy.  It was an economy double shoulder for $50.  This was the first leather I had ever purchased and at the time didn't know what I was looking for.  Even now, knowing how much I trimmed off as it was useless to me, I don't regret the purchase.  I may have not found the hobby as delightful as I do and it served to teach me a bit of what I don't want in leather.

The euro bends I've looked at in the store have zero hair on the back, not even a little fuzz.  They are split very well.  They are tanned as a bend however and do have some small clamp marks from being staked out.  I looked through a dozen or so, none had brands or obvious stretch marks, no cuts or spots that got to thin from splitting.  I was only able to find some random "scuffs" that were all very small and not more that one or two per bend.  

With military elite pricing, and being on sale the bends are $109 for what looked like an average of 10-11 sq ft.  At this pricing I decided I'd try one.  It is very clearly better leather than what I started on.  I have had the pleasure of trying out a little hermann oak and by look and feel it is not quite the same quality.  I don't think I would have grabbed the euro bend if not for the sale and military discount but with those the value seemed reasonable.  

Going forward I think I'm just going to do backs or double shoulders from w&c.  I was actually thinking of just doing a double shoulder from them instead of the euro bend but their splitter is down and I would have had a bit of a wait.  I get my undies in a bunch about the markup buying HO from resellers.  

Yes, I use the Tandy Euro Bend for some of my projects.  I go to the Atlanta store and always select my own.  I have no problems with carving and stamping it, and the finishes take quite well.  I will continue to use them in my work.

Not a lot of Herman hides around here, use Tandy leather. You have to go in and pick your hide. A pile of twenty hides will have 3 or 4 really nice hides, and about the same number of hides with nice sections. I would never let a Tandy employ pick and ship, you'll get the next one on the top of the pile.

I ordered one today.  I'll let you know when I get it how it is. I also ordered a couple HO bellies from Springfield.  I'm trying to figure out what will be the most cost effective leather to make the sides for some stool covers. I need pieces that are about 6" wide and 44" long.  Buying a HO side or bend would certainly be a $$$ loser for this application.

The closest Tandy is a two hour drive for me.  Not worth the drive to go pick it out myself.

Well the one I picked out certainly looks like a peach, but I haven't cut into it yet to make a holster.  Hopefully by next week I'm molding something out of it.

22 hours ago, ProCreationz said:

Yes, I use the Tandy Euro Bend for some of my projects.  I go to the Atlanta store and always select my own.  I have no problems with carving and stamping it, and the finishes take quite well.  I will continue to use them in my work.

Which Store? I've been to the West side store once, because it was on the way (sort of) from Newnan to Athens, and I could try to skirt Atlanta... which is a biggy for me. I hate going through that place!

I went to the store in Bloomington, MN.  It's pretty local to me, as well as one other.  Both are within 20 minutes drive time.

I'm looking at a 3 hour drive or more to either one, plus almost an hour crossing Atlanta.

9 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

I'm looking at a 3 hour drive or more to either one, plus almost an hour crossing Atlanta.

Yikes, that's a haul!!!  If you could combo the trip onto another venture maybe it would be worth it.  I'm not sure I'd be up for that drive.  

54 minutes ago, carguy4471 said:

I went to the store in Bloomington, MN.  It's pretty local to me, as well as one other.  Both are within 20 minutes drive time.

Been a few years, but I've been to both of those.  Both pretty small stores - always wondered why they were so close together but sold / stocked the same items.  Must be quite a few hobby folks in that area.

Just now, JLSleather said:

Been a few years, but I've been to both of those.  Both pretty small stores - always wondered why they were so close together but sold / stocked the same items.  Must be quite a few hobby folks in that area.

I would suspect so, there are a few hobby lobby stores around as well.  

That's what I'm saying! I go to Newnan about every 3 months. That is about a 2.5 hour drive. I have folks out in Athens, and it is about another 3 hours from Newnan, with Atlanta smack in the middle. I'm not likely to make that trip very often, unless it is at gunpoint.

4 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

Which Store? I've been to the West side store once, because it was on the way (sort of) from Newnan to Athens, and I could try to skirt Atlanta... which is a biggy for me. I hate going through that place!

I go to the store at Peachtree Corners area, Northeast of the city.  It is about an hour drive for me.

Just got a Euro bend (right before the sale, of course...derp) and, after selecting through the stack available, found a VERY clean piece. Compared directly to some A HO that I had on hand, it's paler, cleaner and has a better suede side.

Larry

Got mine today.  It looks good.  Clean and smooth flesh side (like Larry said).  On the grain side there is about an inch on one side that is slightly darker and two perfectly round holes on the other edge ... weird.  But it looks like really nice leather.

I've never bought the euro bend. But I did notice most of the have man made holes. Must be part of the tanning process.

On 3/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, cjartist said:

Got mine today.  It looks good.  Clean and smooth flesh side (like Larry said).  On the grain side there is about an inch on one side that is slightly darker and two perfectly round holes on the other edge ... weird.  But it looks like really nice leather.

If I had to mail order, Tandy wouldn't make the list (based on what's on their tables in the store).  Being able to go pick my leather makes them a viable option along with the deep discount veterans pricing.

I've only been to the Roseville store, but have to be near Bloomington for a VA doc appt tomorrow so I'll probably go check out the other one.

UPDATE +++

So today I had the first chance to do some tooling with this leather.  Not so good.  Takes a stamp great but my swivel knife drags awful.  I stropped it twice and when that made no difference I sharpened it and stropped again.  Drags horribly.  Al of my cuts are coming out very choppy and I find i am having to force it along.  I have to wonder if there was something from the tanning process that is gumming it up.  Anyhow, I won't buy it again.