So I'm new to leather work and have been experimenting with different suppliers. I ordered some straps recently - my second order from the same supplier - and I'm a little disappointed. I don't want to totally blow them in, but let's just say they seem to be one of the bigger suppliers located in the middle of the U.S. Anyway after waiting well over a week for the stuff to even ship this is a sampling of some of what I got. Some of it is pretty hairy (which I know will be hard for me to skive), some is marked, and some is even sort of chewed up looking. Even though I'm new, I know enough not to have picked these pieces for myself had the store been within reasonable driving distance. I've sort of heard (can't recall where), that it's good practice to send stuff back if you're not happy so the supplier starts to learn what type of quality you expect. Not sure if that's true or not, but I also wanted to get a second opinion on this stuff just to make sure I'm not being overly fussy. Also, does anybody know why the ends seem to be the worst bits? Could they be belly?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It varies but the ends of straps could be part neck area or upper leg, either gives same kind of result as the belly for the most part (not always as bad but it can be). 

Now one thing is what grade did they advertise it as? Also are these strips over the advertised length say 80" vs the 60" advertised? 

Plus would be nice to see pics of the whole thing so as to put it in perspective. 

They range from about 52-55 inches long. Including my best attempt at capturing full length shots of the ones that seemed to be the worst.

As for the advertising, they're a couple of different thicknesses by they all basically say: "'X width' wide strips of our import veg tan, great for belts, straps, and other projects - length may vary.  Cut from 8/9 oz leather. Approximately 50" length." So I guess maybe it's fair that there'd some bits to discard at the ends, but the parts I have a problem with are about 6-7 inches long. Also they don't seem to offer a grade choice for most of their pre-cut import stuff. They do for their top tier stuff, which I've ordered grade 1 for before. I'd order 1 of the import if it was an option.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Here's the other end.

7.jpg

Also, some of the have tough patches in the middle. I can't really capture it on camera, but it kind of puts a damper on if I'm thinking of using it for like a camera strap or something where I need most of the strap.

Yep cheap imported crappy leather. Send it back and stick to good stuff if you can. For the few bucks ya save its really not worth it for the ones or twos you make for yourself or if your trying to sell it. Either way worth it to get decent/good leather. 

Oh and I am not saying all imported leather is bad, but the good imported vegtan they will usually advertise where it comes from maybe even the tannery, when they advertise as just imported then its usually tandy grade leather. 

Wanted to add if your planning on doing more then a few items its almost always worth it to just buy a back and a cheap strap cutter. 

Edited by MADMAX22

You might order some from Weaver to compare.  The ones you have retailed for about $6.50 a pop and Weaver's are listed at $7.00.  BTW, the dealer you got the strips from has never let me down.  I'm confident they will work with you.

Yes, you should return that.

what a crap

guess I know who they are..

4 hours ago, Tugadude said:

You might order some from Weaver to compare.  The ones you have retailed for about $6.50 a pop and Weaver's are listed at $7.00.  BTW, the dealer you got the strips from has never let me down.  I'm confident they will work with you.

Yeah, I'm by no means ready to toss in the towel with these guys, I just wanted to get a second opinion. I plan to reach out and see what they say/ 

4 hours ago, strathmoredesigns said:

Yeah, I'm by no means ready to toss in the towel with these guys, I just wanted to get a second opinion. I plan to reach out and see what they say/ 

If its who I think it is probably wont be the last time you ask yourself if you should return it. Not sure what happened to them in the past few years, there mark up is usually huge compared to what you can get it for else where, if its not then ya should probably wonder why. 

Just wanted to give an update. I sent a email with pictures of the strips I was dissatisfied with to the place I purchased them from asking if I should send them back. A few days later I got a UPS notification that a package was on its way and a few days later I got a note apologizing for the inconvenience and letting me know what they'd done to correct it. In the end, I complained about 4 strips and got 8 new ones free of charge. I think they handled it pretty well and I'll definitely be shopping there again.

That's great.

How does anyone stay in business making these kinds of mistakes and incurring the cost of replacing and re-shipping the same products?   Profit margins must be HUGE.

5 hours ago, keplerts said:

How does anyone stay in business making these kinds of mistakes and incurring the cost of replacing and re-shipping the same products?   Profit margins must be HUGE.

Good customer service equals repeat business, is how.

On 3/26/2017 at 4:03 AM, TonyRV2 said:

On 3/25/2017 at 10:17 PM, keplerts said:

When your making twice what you paid (if not more) then you can afford a couple of small time orders being screwed up. 

If they aren't making twice what they paid they wouldn't be in business long.

Since they went over and above to fix the problem you should probably identify them.  I know who they are but it is your topic.  I am just tired of complaints against them elsewhere on this forum.  And they sponsor the forum, BTW.  Helps keep it free to participate.  Let's at least credit them for that.

21 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

If they aren't making twice what they paid they wouldn't be in business long.

Absolutely, for that type of product a 2x markup is where retail would start. Give the wholesalers a 10-20% off and call it an acceptable margin to stay in business and pay your employees. 

If you are manufacturing 5x raw materials is standard. 

Edited by Sceaden

Regardless of they're "named" or not, there are a number of "suppliers" jacking up the price of .. oh.. pretty much everything.  One of the biggest problems with the country -- we get "incentives" to hire people, then get billed for several types of insurance (liability, work comp, unemployment to name a few), taxes, overhead, operating costs... and then expect someone ELSE to pay for it :rofl:  In the end, they'll keep doing it as long as people keep paying it. :dunno: 

It's smoke 'n' mirrors.  My buddy bought a brand new truck for himself -- pulled up just to show off to me.  Nice truck, but not enough to impress me.  He says he's a contractor, and you have to "look professional".  I told him when I see the con-man-tractor pull up in a shiny truck, I don't see "professional", I see a guy who likes shiny trucks and thinks I should pay for it!  It isn't him doing the work anyway -- and I think the money should go to the guy doing the work.

Personally, I cut out the middle man nearly every chance I get.  ALL of that above could have been bypassed by ordering from Hermann Oak.  I have ordered from other suppliers, and I may again down the road.  But as a rule, I like to pay the guy who makes the product I need.

On 3/26/2017 at 3:03 PM, TonyRV2 said:

not always - moreover, such business model is not healthy firstly to a business owner in long-term perspective.

couple bucks 'now', doesn't fix none applicable business model on distance run and as a rule ends up with negative reputation and customers, loss of more than couple of bucks etc

On 3/26/2017 at 6:03 AM, TonyRV2 said:

Problem is, there IS NO SUCH THING as 'good customer service" without a quality product.  You could be THE nicest fella ever -- but if you send me crap, I'm GONE ;)

More than one supplier around here had far too many "chances" -- I'm now out.  No point listing names -- if you don't see orders from me, you should already know why.

Edited by JLSleather

I dont know how much straps are in usa but over here 4 pre-cut straps like that cost the same as a half shoulder of veg tan. Better off getting a shoulder and cutting your own. Last week I brought a side of 4m thick veg tan. It's a great shape for straps. I got loads out of it. More beer tokens for me next month when ive sold em lol