Clintock

Burnishing punch holes

I use an old smooth plastic pen. Pretty much anything smooth that fits will work.

depends how big the slot.  Usually, a modeling spoon works.

Appreciate it. Screwed the pooch on one. Reckon I'll have to start over or burnish the whole mag holster. Although I do like the burned look. 

One of the few areas where I'll say I don't bother.  With the belt running in and out, it's going to burnish itself or get roughed up.  One of the other in quick order.  I've never had a comment about it either.  If I wanted to I have a burnisher in my drill press with a point that will get in there and burnish it.  I just don't see the point.  

I chucked a wood dowel in my rechargeable drill, sanded it to a taper, and I use that to burnish the slots on my holsters.

was thinking of a dowel rod and using a saw file to rasp a groove in the dowel then using a drill or drill press to burnish. Thanks for the tips!

The fastest and easiest way I have come up with is done with a 60 or 80 watt soldering iron temperature controlled through a light dimmer switch.We do all holes in our belts this way including the crew punch slot for the buckle. Takes a bit of practice but gives excellent results and on belts that sell between $200 and $500 that is what you gotta do I reckon.See pics. The tip get shaped to suit and polished generally every 200 or so belts.

DSC06984_resize.JPG

DSC07998_resize.JPG

DSC07999_resize.JPG

DSC08046_resize.JPG

Average time on the 5 holes on both sides is about 40 seconds with practice. It is not so much burning as it is ironing which at the end of the day is mostly what burnishing is without so much rubbing.If you want to try without the dimmer switch try rubbing a bit of furry edge leather high up the shaft nearer to the handle. A quick wipe should smooth in the nap quite well.

Might have to try that. Reckon a wood burner would work the same. Trying to figure out how to keep my leather from burnishing when wet forming. By the time I get decent I'll have enough holsters for my pistols to wear one each day of the week. Lol

Use a vacuum bag then only have to add detail lines if wanted, this way your not burnishing as you form the holster.  

13 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

The fastest and easiest way I have come up with is done with a 60 or 80 watt soldering iron temperature controlled through a light dimmer switch.We do all holes in our belts this way including the crew punch slot for the buckle. Takes a bit of practice but gives excellent results and on belts that sell between $200 and $500 that is what you gotta do I reckon.See pics. The tip get shaped to suit and polished generally every 200 or so belts.

DSC06984_resize.JPG

DSC07998_resize.JPG

DSC07999_resize.JPG

DSC08046_resize.JPG

Very nice Sir! WOW...

1 hour ago, Clintock said:

I've got a foodsaver. How long would I leave it in the bag?

I would get some opinions from more experienced holster makers but I do about an hour give or take. Be mindful of the wrinkles that can develop in the bag.

On 3/16/2017 at 1:00 AM, RockyAussie said:

The fastest and easiest way I have come up with is done with a 60 or 80 watt soldering iron temperature controlled through a light dimmer switch.We do all holes in our belts this way including the crew punch slot for the buckle.

Thanks a lot Brian for a valuable tip!  I applied this on a few slotted holes and works amazing!

Edited by gigi