oddball

Anyone ever done Paisley?

I have been asked to do a paisley pattern and it is kicking my but I can get the "coma" shapes alright but I am having trouble decorating the insides any suggestions/hints/

54 minutes ago, oddball said:

I have been asked to do a paisley pattern and it is kicking my but I can get the "coma" shapes alright but I am having trouble decorating the insides any suggestions/hints/

Do a search here.  30 results for paisley, patterns to examples.

Tom

Did a search but I am not seeing much to help with my dilemma, the patterns are too busy to try carving and don't translate well into what tools I should be trying to use for the fill spent the whole day ( my work shutdown for a blizzard)messing around and maybe came up with one or two that were close to being okay. 

Do a google search using this string

paisley site:leatherworker.net

Hope that helps.

Edited by northmount
broken link

I've been thinking about trying some paisley myself.

I was hoping to give it another go this weekend, I filtered through all that stuff and really did not find anything but looked at so much Paisley I got a few ideas to try.

I am also thinking of doing some paisley but have the same hesitations about properly filling the design.

Edited by cjartist
typo

My search didn't turn up anything on here and that link listed above doesn't work for me.

Come on folks, post pics of your work! I gave this a quick try and was reminded how much my swivel knife skills suck. :) haha.

I'm going to give it another go and I'll try to post the pics. I suggest y'all do the same. :)

4 hours ago, pnj said:

I gave this a quick try and was reminded how much my swivel knife skills suck. :) haha.

I found this statement from the following tutorial helpful to me 

"What do the sport professionals do before each game of play. They practice the basics of their sport, because they know they are essential. They know that if they are to play the game well, they have to be able to do the basic things instinctively. There is just too much else to think about while playing than having to think about the basics, if they want to win. You must do the same."

http://paintingcow.com/free-tutorials/online_tutorial_2007_08.pdf

Yeah, I did some paisley, back in the '60's. Don't remember what the result was, it's kind of a fog...

Wrong forum?

Edited by alpha2

14 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Yeah, I did some paisley, back in the '60's. Don't remember what the result was, it's kind of a fog...

Wrong forum?

LOL. Me too, although it was the early 80's.  Each time I vowed to myself to never do it again.  I never did have the hallucinations others spoke of :/

Yep, that's paisley! Interesting.

The third set is really nice.  On the second one, I think it might look better with the mules foot turned around.  they look kind of thorny as they are.  Will you do different sizes?  I do plan to give it a go some time.  I'm just finishing a couple of other projects right now.

I really have no plans to do anymore. I just did it as a challenge to myself cause it didn't seem like it would be that difficult. Hopefully it will encourage others to some of their own. 

here are some pictures of what I came up withexample

That's pretty cool.  Paisley does indeed seem to be a challenge.  Seems like having just basic stamping tools is a deficit but I can't see buying new stamps for this purpose.  I am going to work on some paisley today.  I will update with pics once it is done.

If you looked through the whole album you can see my whole process, tear drop templates, then rough sketch of the fill in based on the stamping tools available on of the things that helped the most was stamping a scrap strip and marking the tool number so I could see what I was working with.

Here is ow mine came out.  It is challenging to come up with different patterns.  It was a lot of fun too.  Unfortunately I picked up some green dye splatter off my work bench.

Untitled-2-small.jpg

Untitled-3-small.jpg

Untitled-1-small.jpg