Just wondering if anyone out there would have a pattern for a Dog Harness, with & without a chest plate. I have never made one even though they look easy enough to make, I dont want to stuff up along the way as it is for a customer. This is the dog it will be going on.

Cheers Damien

16935946_1897984283770915_1798379154_o.jpg

That dog is developing a serious leather fetish! First a 3" collar, now a harness. Lucky dog.

Waiting for a pic of him wearing the collar. Nick-name will be "Spike".

7 hours ago, alpha2 said:

That dog is developing a serious leather fetish! First a 3" collar, now a harness. Lucky dog.

Waiting for a pic of him wearing the collar. Nick-name will be "Spike".

He is their first ever pet after the lady of the house had a pretty bad accident and her husband got him for her, so he's more of a therapeutic dog for her. But if they want to pay I will continue making stuff for them :) And I could think of a few more names after they cop one of those spikes in the legs lol, They hurt.

2 hours ago, gary said:

Damien, check your mail.

Gary

Hi thanks Gary, I like the design, Will see what the customer says.

What do they want the harness for? There are different kinds for different purposes. And I'll warn them: walking a dog in a harness often encourages it to PULL, because that's what most harnesses are designed for! The special anti-pull harnesses restrict a dog's movement, and are much less humane than using a collar, and teaching your dog NOT to pull.

But then, teaching a dog to walk on a loose leash seems to be a lost art. That's what I observed during my 6 years of running a boarding kennel... :(

8 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

But then, teaching a dog to walk on a loose leash seems to be a lost art. That's what I observed during my 6 years of running a boarding kennel... :(

Yep full agree, Our dog loves his leash, but can pull often, but a simple no and he is back walking usually by our side. Not sure on what they want it for, But Bull Terriers are known to pull hard when excited. So I probably will incorporate a no pull system (D-ring on chest plate) and a grab handle on top as well I think.

Edited by AussieMade

Hopefully that's a smart one that can be trained well because they can almost pull a freight train. We use one of those antipull harness on my dog and he doesn't have any issues with it. He has had one for about 6 yrs now. 

Max, it's the OTHER end of the leash that's supposed to have the brains! Unfortunately, dog trainers these days are mostly out in la-la land, with this all positive crap, where if you correct your dog, or tell it 'no' for doing something wrong, you'll break its spirit!

How do you teach your kids right from wrong if you never tell them 'no'? 

All-positve MAY work with little lap dogs, but get a really strong, courageous dog like a pit bull or a German shepherd, and they will be taking matters into their own paws as soon as they realize you don't have the brains to tell them 'no'!

Yeah I agree, my late mother use to raise german shepherds for the local authorities and subsequently started the training early on so by the time they took custody of the buggers they were already 50% of the way there. Early on we raised Queensland heelers also but training those guys is a whole other story lol. 

Unfortunately my somewhat bigger dog we got for my wife while I was deploying and still in the Navy so training was left up to her for the first couple of years and when I met her she was still a liberal for the most part so yeah the touchy feely training was used. Didnt work too well since he is a rhodesian ridgeback lab mix, energetic and very hard headed (but a great dog). 

My Dad used to raise Bull Terriers and they will test for the alpha male spot in the house. They were bred to fight and immense personality. Great dogs but not for the faint of heart.

Hey everyone I'm new here. Could someone post or send me the pattern for the dog harness? I have a service dog that I want to make some harnesses for. Thanks all!