Vacuum vs Hydraulic....   Bag vs table...    Desktop vs standup....

If one goes hydraulic, what sort of tonnage is required to mold some holsters??  This sure seems like it could be less $$ than a vacuum setup.

Do vacuum setups typically yield better results or visa versa??  

Are bag style vacuum setups typically on par with table types in terms of molding potential??  

If one gets an HF pump, where do they go and what might they spend on a bag and doo-dads to get it running??  

I'd love to get a bit further into this subject.  I'm a bit light on knowledge here.  What I know can be summed up as "the foodsaver sorta does the job".  I'd like something that can double to molding power of my precious kitchen equipment though.

Thanks for any input.

Check the woodworking supply houses - I bought a small vacuum pump a few years ago to press veneer sheets onto wood and I also have suction pads to hold wood with a vacuum while I am working on the wood.  Looks like it would be a simple matter to incorporate the venturi pump to compress a bag.  Check out Lee Valley Tools or ebay for vacuum clamps.

A cheap hyd press from HF will do your molding - the 12 ton is enough, but the 20-ton is virtually same cost :dunno:  This has one advantage over tthe vacuum in that it can also be used as a clicker press.

The 'plus' of the vacuum is that the pressure is applied in more than one direction, simultaneously.  There are threads from a few years back about which parts were included in a "kit', which was then paired with a cheap HF pump.

Oh, yeah -- here ya go.

Some pics of what one set up looks like and some holsters made with it 

And the link to the parts kit (the link in that thread doesn't quite work any more).

http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Project-CRS-Continuous-Run-Pump-Vacuum-Press-Kit.html

And then a guy would need a bag (available in the same place) and a pump (seems most guys get the HF pump).

Course, if you're leaning to the hyd version, then you'll likely want some foam pads to insert between the press and your leather.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41_524

So a basic vacuum setup looks like 90+80+bag (180).  You are $350 in before incidentals and shipping.  

A hydraulic setup you could spend 120-180 on a press and get some foam or rubber.   Prolly $220 or so.  

That's information I can use there!!!   

What about results on hyd presses vs vacuum presses.  Any input on the differences??

54 minutes ago, carguy4471 said:

setup looks like 90+80+bag (180).

YIKES.. I didn't realize the bag was that much money.

42 minutes ago, carguy4471 said:

Any input on the differences??

:dunno:  Seems like the vacuum would be better for forming turns/twists/corners (since it pulls IN as well as down), and with the hyd version, a guy would want to put something between the foam and the leather so you don't "texture" the leather with the foam. 

In the ONLY video I ever recommend, Sam A. uses a hyd press to form a G19.  One IMPORTANT difference here between that and what you often see... Sam's corners are ALREADY in the holster due to the unequal front and back patterns... WHereas with those 50/50 things, a guy would 'smoosh' down (only).. nothing in the hyd to pull in the front / back (top of slide and under guard).

OH .. perhaps worth stating here:  LOTS of boys 'n' girls are making holsters without EITHER method.

Edited by JLSleather

I do like those Sam A. vids.  That guy needs a radio show!!  

I may have to dig for some other bag options, see if there is a way to eek the cost down a bit.  I'm sort of a budget nazi that way.

there is caution that needs to be adhered to with a shop press that is not applicable to the vacuum press, when using a shop press there is no indicator that can be installed to inform you when you reached the right level of pressure without damaging a weapon if you happen to be using a real gun.  Even when using a mold gun you can apply to much pressure and ruin or at least damage your mold gun, Ask my I know about those things I bent a mold gun.  Had it been a real gun in the form of a high end gun the vision of being up a creek comes to mind.  So with either one there is a learning curve, but with a vacuum system you can also be doing some of your boning while it is under vacuum and the vacuum is also removing some of the water content in the leather, but the choice is yours, something is learned either way.  Heck one guy says a garbage bag works, is all you have to do is figure out how to remove the vacuum!

Good to consider these things, but there are some relatively inexpensive ways to keep from going too far with a press -- guage, limit switch, or even a simple bolt in the right place (much line a cinder block under the car when using a jack :whistle: )

Finally getting my stuff out of boxes around here.. looks like I'm only missing ONE blue gun ... so see what else isn't here..

Edited by JLSleather

Very true, however 2 of the items drive the cost a (little higher) and 1 not so, but would need to know when the bolt height is just right, part of the learning curve I guess? Along with the mechanical ability of the operator, builder, considering not all things are equal amongst men!

I've said it before and I stand by it. I like the Roarockit Thin Air Press...and it's cheap. If you don't like it you are only out $80. Or resell to get most of your money back.