geargarcon

Where can I purchase a double pull zipper for a bag?

So I have scoured the forums and have found many bags with double pulls which open from the middle out, but I cannot find them anywhere online nor can I find information on where I can procure one on the forums.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  

I'm looking for something like what is on the bag in this thread.  I didn't ask in the thread because the OP hasn't posted since 2014...  Thanks for your help.

Tandy sells zippers by the foot.  Buy the pieces separately and build your own.  It's really easy, especially if your zipper will be blind on both ends.  It's a no-brainer.

Here is  a source that might be suitable

https://hardwareelf.com/catalog/zippers/2_way-zippers.aspx#f=&p=1&s=

Good Luck

rick

7 hours ago, cowboycolonel said:

Tandy sells zippers by the foot.  Buy the pieces separately and build your own.  It's really easy, especially if your zipper will be blind on both ends.  It's a no-brainer.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I did a bit more digging and found someone on the forum who was trying to do the same thing.  He built his own and said the second zipper pull didn't slide right because it was facing the wrong direction. Is there a right direction on these?

thanks everyone else for the links - gives me a few more options to look at.

gg

So I did a bit more research and I figured I'd post what I found here to help others who have the same question in the future.

Essentially a double pull zipper that opens from the middle out is pretty hard to find.  There are several ways to come by it.

Custom Order from Zipperstop.com

• I reached out to zipperstop.com and they said I would have to special order a ykk zipper from them.  The quotes they gave me were
    • 37" #10 YKK zipper - brass on black tape - $23.75
    • 24" #10 YKK zipper - brass on black tape - $21.00

Order Parts from Buckleguy.com and build your own

• So Riri makes two-way zippers so you can buy the parts and build them on your own
    • 36" #8 Riri two-way zipper chain - brass on black - $21.38
    • 1 brass zipper pull - $4.00
    • 1 brass stop - $0.21
    • All in about $30 each

Custom Order from PacificTrimming.com

• Pacific Trimming offers "custom riri zipper orders" through their website.  You specify length and size and just drop it in your cart.
    • any size up to 34" #8 Riri zipper - brass on black - $28
    • any size up to 34" #6 Riri zipper - brass on black - $20

For the Riri, they make two different types of two-way zippers.  One is called the combi the other is symmetrical.  They say that symmetrical is nicer, but I don't really know what that means.  I do know that on buckleguy.com it costs an extra $8 per year thought.

I've found some places that refer to this as an O-type zipper and others that refer to it as a C-type zipper.

I hope that helps anyone who is looking

Edited by geargarcon

As mentioned in a previous post, I buy zippers from Sailrite, always YKK zippers, including finished zippers, and continuous zippers, zipper sliders and zipper stops. Making double pull zippers from continuous zippers is not difficult. Sailrite has zipper videos than might be helpful, and that should be applicable for continuous zippers acquired elsewhere.

http://www.sailrite.com/type/Projects--AND--Tips?keywords=zipper

http://www.sailrite.com/Zipper-All-Questions-Answered-about-Zippers-Streaming-Video

I've not tried it, but apparently a finished zipper can be converted into a double pull zipper.

https://justinelimpusparish.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/making-a-double-head-zipper/

I can second both buckleguy and Pacific Trimming. Pacific Trimming stocks a wide range of colors (of the zipper tapes) and metal colors for the zipper teeth. I use Riri zippers a lot; they're a little expensive, but the quality is amazing and it's very easy to buy extra pulls and stops to make your own custom length zippers. FYI, Riri zippers also come in different teeth widths, starting at 4mm and progressing up in width in 2mm increments. I'd say 4mm is more suitable for garments, 6 or 8mm for heavier pieces with more wear.