JHobbs

Wont be buying from SLC again

Purchased there HERMANN OAK PREMIUM VEG TAN BELT BEND 7-8 OZ at $159.00, I expected to get something close to "A grade" since its labeled premium.  I was surprised to find several holes and blems in this piece.  Customer service wasn't concerned at my dissatisfaction either.  You can only skin this sheep once, I will just have to find another supplier. I give them 1 star.

"Customer service wasn't concerned at my dissatisfaction" 

I have to say that this has never been the case in my dealings with SLC. Sure there has been a few posts here and there that discuss SLC's idea of A or B grade H.O., but they have always worked out any issues over the phone without hesitation. Just my two pennies. 

Yeah, I had a #1 grade pre-cut that was a #2 at best and they just refunded the entire cost.

Maybe they are better with Jersey folks or firefighters? 

I gave up on that store a while back. Wont get into the details but there are better options (price/service/billing).

On 3/18/2017 at 5:43 PM, MADMAX22 said:

I gave up on that store a while back. Wont get into the details but there are better options (price/service/billing).

Any you would recommend.

I don't the cost as long as it is worth it quality wise, but I get better grades from Hobby Lobby than I did with SLC. Maybe I will call back and try to talk to someone else.

That's exactly what I told them on more than one occasion.  'Look - you could supply ALL my tooling leather.  I don't mind PAYING premium as long as I'm GETTING premium.'

I thought maybe I'd pay the extra down there to avoid stocking and storage, but I spent enough hours ordering and returning hides that it just wasn't worth the time and trouble.  Easier to just call Hermann Oak... couple weeks you got very nice leather, much better price, and about 75% off the shipping charges.

On 3/19/2017 at 1:43 AM, MADMAX22 said:

definitely

1 hour ago, JHobbs said:

Any you would recommend.

Wickett & Craig for the leather

the rest - depends on what you want

Wicket and Craig, goliger,hide house, maverick for one's and twos, hermann oak directly if you can float the minimum. 

How's SLC for shipping, normally?

I ordered some of their remnants and a utility belly on Wed after business hours, they packaged it at 3:52 yesterday afternoon and it hasn't even been picked up by the Post Office yet.  Is this going to sit on their dock until next week?

ETA: USPS took delivery at 8pm, so they should've picked it up yesterday.  Scheduled for Monday delivery.

Edited by JimTimber

12 hours ago, JimTimber said:

How's SLC for shipping, normally?

I ordered some of their remnants and a utility belly on Wed after business hours, they packaged it at 3:52 yesterday afternoon and it hasn't even been picked up by the Post Office yet.  Is this going to sit on their dock until next week?

ETA: USPS took delivery at 8pm, so they should've picked it up yesterday.  Scheduled for Monday delivery.

Don't go by that type of tracking information, it is always inaccurate regardless of who you are purchasing from.  I have placed orders with SLC that indicated that the Postal Service hadn't picked up the package yet after 2 days and had it in my mailbox 2 days later; I get the same thing with Amazon and everywhere else.

Made my first order with SLC about two weeks ago.  They are slower to ship than Tandy.  I ended up returning half of the leather I purchased because it was unusable.  An added expense to what already seemed a high price :(

My stuff is moving per the USPS.  Should be here with Monday's mail.

Their store isn't all that big and they have a fair size staff unless it changed since I went through there last may, but while there I did get a chance to talk with Kevin and that is the person you might want to call.  Most of the people in the back seem to be college age that need a job but have no idea about what leather is all about and the other half is somewhat busy and also working with the walk in customers.  Now I am not trying to defend them cuz I was pizzed off when they went from free shipping when ya met the minimum to charging for all purchases, but look at what weaver did with there letter any way now I am on a tangent, call them!!

My 6# of heavy veg pieces and my utility side showed up. 

The ad says each 2# lot of pieces would have one piece that's a square foot and several that are hand size.  They didn't give me any that are even close to a square foot, and their hands used for reference are toddlers.  "Useful for holsters and knife sheaths" - not any main part of a holster unless it's for a derringer.

My $19 Herman Oak utility side is not the 2x2+ square piece shown in the picture, but a belly strip no more than 12" wide at any useable point.  Same cut from W&C is $13 (aka: 33% less money).

Add me to the list of former customers.

They have treated me very well, I have no complaints.  If I order from different suppliers, it is generally because of the difference in distance.

There's supposed to be a square foot piece in each of these bags, but the bags aren't even 10" wide.  It's all clickered out unusable crap for $9.33 each.

20170327_141540.jpg

I emailed for a call tag, I want to return the whole order.

1 hour ago, JimTimber said:

Hopefully they will treat you right.  All they gave me for a return was their address, so yeah it cost me money to try and do business with them.  I won't be going back either.   I wonder if the owner is a member here?  I think it would do them well to read this thread.

Monique responded to my email within a couple hours saying she'd send me a label.  Haven't gotten it yet, but it's a good start.

I was really hoping to repeat the purchase that I made at a local surplus shop a few years ago.  $9 got me (5) 9x16" pieces of mostly square, mostly perfect (some grain problems) very usable black and brown drum dyed heavy veg tan, and some odd chunks of belly as well.  Not so with the Springfield garbage bags. :(

Compare the pic of what I got to the listing photo:

144-88838.SLC.1.jpg

http://springfieldleather.com/2lbs-Heavyweight-Veg-Tan-Scrap

Nice big useful pieces, right?

The discription says nothing of size.

Shows the bad edges on the leather.

And says great for small items.

So what's the big deal?

Edited by Thornton

I was misremembering on the minimum large piece from a different item.  However, if you look at the item stock photos, you'll see multiple 1/3sf pieces.  I got maybe 1 of those per bag and numerous tiny pieces with irregular edges which work out to 6-8 square inches per piece - nothing like what's shown on the listing.

13 hours ago, JimTimber said:

I was misremembering on the minimum large piece from a different item.  However, if you look at the item stock photos, you'll see multiple 1/3sf pieces.  I got maybe 1 of those per bag and numerous tiny pieces with irregular edges which work out to 6-8 square inches per piece - nothing like what's shown on the listing.

Yeah, I don't suppose they take a picture of every scrap bag they sell. Just a representitve sample.

On 3/27/2017 at 11:17 PM, JimTimber said:

There's supposed to be a square foot piece in each of these bags, but the bags aren't even 10" wide.  It's all clickered out unusable crap for $9.33 each.

20170327_141540.jpg

it's not a good way to make a business for SLC (and others ) to earn couple dollars,  to face a customerS, who are not satisfied, because think (and they're right to think so) that they were treated not the best way a CUSTOMER deserves, and then resend all that crap back doing monkey job..

shame for them

and feel for u man..

3 hours ago, Thornton said:

Yeah, I don't suppose they take a picture of every scrap bag they sell. Just a representitve sample.

A representative sample showing 2x4" to 4x6" pieces  would've told me "these aren't worth buying" and we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Their suede scraps are a perfect example of something clearly comprised of thin remnants based on the stock photo.

Every piece shown in their heavy veg tan sample is 3x larger than 85% of what I got.  I don't do key fobs, and these pieces are useless for a snubby j-frame holster.  

I haven't gotten the call tag yet.  Is it possible they don't know what one is?  If this goes to my bank (I'll dispute the charge before I pay to return this stuff), it's not going to make me think highly of them.

1 hour ago, JimTimber said:

A representative sample showing 2x4" to 4x6" pieces  would've told me "these aren't worth buying" and we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Their suede scraps are a perfect example of something clearly comprised of thin remnants based on the stock photo.

Every piece shown in their heavy veg tan sample is 3x larger than 85% of what I got.  I don't do key fobs, and these pieces are useless for a snubby j-frame holster.  

I haven't gotten the call tag yet.  Is it possible they don't know what one is?  If this goes to my bank (I'll dispute the charge before I pay to return this stuff), it's not going to make me think highly of them.

Great for small projects. Take responsibility for your half of the sale, doing your research. Today's society seems to feel that if they yell loud enough they will get exactly what they want at the price they want and if not they complain long and hard claiming bad customer service. Only about 2% of the complaints I see on this message board have any merit in my opinion, and they are only marginal at best.