JHobbs

Wont be buying from SLC again

I agree with Thornton.  It boils down to 'if it seems too good to be true, it probably is', and 'Caveat Emptor...Buyer Beware'.  If you're selling leather goods, there's no cheap way to get leather.  Heck, you can't even raise a cow yourself and get leather cheaper than what you can buy it for when buying sides...economics of scale.  Skip the scrap bins.  Save up, buy a side, and move on.

24 minutes ago, Thornton said:

. Only about 2% of the complaints I see on this message board have any merit in my opinion, and they are only marginal at best.

I don't know about that. I once bought backs, and what I got had bellies still attached (the reason for buying backs = no belly leather).  Some genius cut the leather the wrong way.  

If somebody told me I was getting pieces 6-8" and I got 5-7", prolly not an issue. If I got 3-5", yeah-- that's a return.  

As to SLC specifically, I didn't take offense wen they stopped "free shipping"... don't blame 'em one bit.  But send me what you advertised.

Edited by JLSleather

We all know that selling online is completely different than in person.  When we market something we create, its success largely depends upon the pictures we show of it.  If the customer isn't happy, they get their money back.  If the product looks nothing like what is shown, they get their money back.  It really wouldn't be too difficult for SLC to sell what they market.  For them this is a product they can make money on that is actually waste and would otherwise be thrown away.

I did my research.  The pieces shown are small (can't make a large holster out of anything in the listing pic, but you can make a sheath for something larger than an X-acto knife!), the ones sent to me are tiny and worthless.

12 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

I agree with Thornton.  It boils down to 'if it seems too good to be true, it probably is', and 'Caveat Emptor...Buyer Beware'.  If you're selling leather goods, there's no cheap way to get leather.  Heck, you can't even raise a cow yourself and get leather cheaper than what you can buy it for when buying sides...economics of scale.  Skip the scrap bins.  Save up, buy a side, and move on.

buying a side from SLC is also a tricky )) lol

8 hours ago, JimTimber said:

I did my research.  The pieces shown are small (can't make a large holster out of anything in the listing pic, but you can make a sheath for something larger than an X-acto knife!), the ones sent to me are tiny and worthless.

The ad clearly states small pieces.

6 hours ago, Thornton said:

The ad clearly states small pieces.

Small is relative.  6x12" is half a square foot which is small when compared to the smallest piece they'll sell firsts in is a whole square foot.   It's also small relative to a shoulder, bend, or side.  What they sent me is 1/4 of half a square foot, and worthless scrap.

This is what's on my emailed receipt: "2lbs of veg tanned leather scraps with leather ranging in size from hand to 1 sq. ft. Mix of import and Hermann Oak veg tan leather 7 oz and above Item # 144-88838"  Hand is relative too - they must've meant toddler sized.

Still no call tag, no reply to yesterday's email to Monique, just sent one to Rusty.

Edited by JimTimber

Can we stop this nonsense?  The original poster is not buying from SLC.  So what?  He can buy or not from whomever he wants.  That discussion is over.  We now have folks throwing in all sorts of stories about how their expectations weren't met and giving us a play-by-play of what is or isn't being done to please them.

Enough!  Move on.  I'm hoping a moderator locks this thread.

I said it in another thread and I'll repeat it here.  Springfield Leather Company pays good money for a banner at the top of the page.  Sometimes more than one.  That helps keep this a free forum.  Someone has to pay the light bill.  If you don't like them, stop buying.  If you've found better deals elsewhere, go ahead and enlighten us about the great leather and great prices, perfect shipments, etc.  Positive reports are great, negative ones tend to be more subjective and the dealer can't clarify or defend the accusation.  

So how about positivity here.  Otherwise, enough already!

Tugadude - what is this to you?

48 minutes ago, JimTimber said:

ranging in size from hand to 1 sq. ft. Mix

That's not false advertising.  The pieces ARE more than (somebody's) hand and smaller than 1 sq ft.  So, no legal claim to resolve here -- no grounds for suit.   

I don't want any of that, so I don't buy any of it.  Simple.  It may be worth noting that SLC charges $9 for a 12"x12" piece of what they call "import tooling".  So, I would assume that if you want a 12" piece then you would need to buy a 12" piece. 

Realistically, THIS site is much the same as SLC or any other -- if you don't like it, don't use it.  Don't like the conversation?  Don't join it.

I understand that I'm in someone else's back yard, so if my posts are edited / removed :dunno:  not my playground.  Like above, I don't say anything which might rise to the level of legal action -- so worst can happen is I get "booted", and I'm guessing I'll continue to sleep okay ... ;)

Not that I owe any explanation, but what it is to me is simple.  The subject description under the sub-forum heading of Suppliers is pretty simple.  It says "Where to find what you need".  

If a supplier is outright dishonest and perpetrating fraud, perhaps we need to know that, but otherwise things should be positive.

If folks want to PM each other and share war stories, great.  I guess I can also just choose not to view threads about bad experiences with vendors.  And that is probably what I"ll end up doing.

As far as this thread, I'm done.  

Most is under hand size, more like 3 fingers size; that's my beef.

I haven't opened the bags (no point).  We'll see what Rusty says.

2 hours ago, JimTimber said:

Most is under hand size, more like 3 fingers size; that's my beef.

I haven't opened the bags (no point).  We'll see what Rusty says.

Replied to your email.

5 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Can we stop this nonsense?  The original poster is not buying from SLC.  So what?  He can buy or not from whomever he wants.  That discussion is over.  We now have folks throwing in all sorts of stories about how their expectations weren't met and giving us a play-by-play of what is or isn't being done to please them.

Enough!  Move on.  I'm hoping a moderator locks this thread.

I said it in another thread and I'll repeat it here.  Springfield Leather Company pays good money for a banner at the top of the page.  Sometimes more than one.  That helps keep this a free forum.  Someone has to pay the light bill.  If you don't like them, stop buying.  If you've found better deals elsewhere, go ahead and enlighten us about the great leather and great prices, perfect shipments, etc.  Positive reports are great, negative ones tend to be more subjective and the dealer can't clarify or defend the accusation.  

So how about positivity here.  Otherwise, enough already!

Amen!  Let's just move on to something a bit more important than someone's bad experience with a supplier.  We have all had ours but it doesn't need to be the news tag of the Century here.

On 3/27/2017 at 4:18 PM, cjartist said:

Hopefully they will treat you right.  All they gave me for a return was their address, so yeah it cost me money to try and do business with them.  I won't be going back either.   I wonder if the owner is a member here?  I think it would do them well to read this thread.

Hello, Rusty Darnell with Springfield Leather. I do read the threads I mostly try to stay in the background. Everyone has the right to speak on any subject they would like. I do try to reach out anywhere I can in order to make things right when we have made an error. Sometimes the "error" was in our description and not the actual product. 

As many of you know we have been growing in leaps and bounds for the last several years, along with that come the ridiculous task of training employees how to think like you do. Helping a person learn to treat your customers the way you would treat them is really more challenging than anything that comes to mind. So a big reason I read these is to isolate areas were need the most attention. Sometimes I find that I just make the situation worse if I try to intervene in these threads.

But please know, I do take very seriously any posts that is reasonable.

Thanks for reading,

Rusty

Rusty did respond to my email, and Monique is on vacation which explains the lack of follow up with her.

I was given a refund and offered something else that was well above what was necessary to rectify the situation (I respectfully declined as it's not necessary).  SLC has shown themselves to be an honorable business and I'm no longer of the opinion that they shouldn't be considered in the future.

Thank you Rusty!  I hope your growing pains are short lived and you continue on the road of success.

Alls well that ends well. :)