George1520

Damaged sewing machine

I finally got my sewing machine and UPS managed to mess it up real good. The machine is similar to a Consew 146 but it has a post bed instead of a flat bed. They hit the flywheel hard enough couse it to bend. I didn't notice that, because I got distracted by crack in the middle of the bed and the 90 degrees bend in the needle. Luckily the crack stoped spreading where there is a bolt hole. 

I could live with the crack but I could not recenter the needle, it still hits the back of the feed place away from the operator. Or that the machine turns really hard. The clutch motor has a hard time starting to turn the machine and when it does it give full speed for a couple of seconds and then the clutch starts to sleep. When I turn the machine by hand (no belt attached) it is difficult to turns. It turns for couple of rotations and then it gets binds and then starts turning again. It might be because the main shaft is bend. 

So my question is. Is it wort to get it fix? And anyone has any experience with gettting reimbursed for a broken machine? Let me know if you are interested to see video. I'm going to make movie to show UPS. 

Thanks

This sounds terrible. Sorry

I suggest contacting your dealer of purchase for best procedures, going forward. I think they may have insight with these issues more so and can instruct us in some ways to better deal with this.

Floyd

Yes contact the seller and contact UPS.  Hopefully the seller shipped it with insurance.  I once sold an antique ship stove on ebay.  I had the UPS store pack it for me and insure it. It rolled off the truck and the buyer had to go back to UPS to get their money back.  It wasn't difficult on their end.  Made me sad though to know they ruined such a beautiful antique.

Shipmate1.jpg

Edited by cjartist
grammer

I've been in contact with the seller. They handled the shipping and they didn't get insurance.

I called UPS the next day after I got the machine and they want me to open a claim. That was Friday when I only knew about the crack, I will call Monday again after I talk to the seller. 

My father used to work for DHL and he said that is nothing out of ordinary. They throw around and drop packages all the time. 

I have different reasons for my choice, but I avoid ups when I can.

If you paid by credit card, you might have protections about this kind of thing in your card member agreement.  Visa, AmEx, and MC all have protections included with the transaction (at least on the cards I have/had).

Thats a good point Jim and to add i think a credit card has more benefits than using the bank debit, imho.  

Floyd

I'd be returning it to the seller (easiest solution).  If they refuse to give a refund, then I'd pursue a chargeback against them.  OP bought a non-wrecked sewing machine, and it was not delivered.

You cannot blame UPS in general (or any other shipping Co.) - a lot depends on how the machine is packed up. I have shipped two machines (one patcher and one sole stitcher) from Germany to the US with UPS and both arrived safe and sound but I built crates for the machines. A lot depends on the sender and how he packed up the machine. It´s easy to blame the shipping company but when the sender is not doing his job properly you can be sure a delicate thing like a sewing machine will be damaged. You sometimes have to remove delicate parts (like hand wheel or parts that stick out) before you pack up a machine. Of course seller / sender "thinks" he did a good job but packing up a machine is more that just putting it into a cardboard box...

On heavier items like this UPS only pays when they are "packed" to their standards which means they want it double-boxed with at least 1" styrofoam between the boxes.And as Const said the handwheel & any other parts sticking out need to be removed.It's a shame they can't handle items better than this but we've learn that they don't so I try not to use them either!

I call them United Parcel Smashers for a reason.

Sadly, FedEx ain't much better.

13 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

On heavier items like this UPS only pays when they are "packed" to their standards which means they want it double-boxed with at least 1" styrofoam between the boxes.And as Const said the handwheel & any other parts sticking out need to be removed.It's a shame they can't handle items better than this but we've learn that they don't so I try not to use them either!

Bob,

Whoever you used for my shipment (I'm not recalling) had the 4500 to Frederick, Md. the next morning. They had it moving through the night to do that. They did have a small forklift punch in the box but never touched anything thanks to the foam. Your packaging is well thought out. I wish more people would give that the attention it needs and the shippers had more respect for their work. We'd have fewer damages in receiving (where I work). We receive a lot of products and many are long-lead, nothing messes a job up faster than a damaged delivery can. As an aside, my 4500 throws a nice tight straight stitch on the S type needle. Second to nothing for stitch quality that I sew with, Adler included.  

Who is there to blame? UPS charged me 500 to deliver the head, that is a lot of money I paid them to destroy something. I know how they operate. My father worked worked for shipping companies for 20 years. He used to pick fights with coworkers because he was disgusted on how they handled packages.

It was packed in the original packaging form the factory and tied to a pallet. I'm sure that manufacturers would not send thousands of machines just to to be destroyed before reaching their customers.  At my last jod we purchased and had to ship back an 48 inch printer because they did the same thing. Crushed one end of the box. The paper roll carriage was bend about 5 inched. It probably it probably costed them 5 or 10k

For no insurance that is quite the rate. I dont think mine were that much with! 2.5k worth of ins and shipping clear across the country.

Maybe some of that was preparation cost, in that case  thats something to consider. Because in my mind 500 bucks should have included a 1/2 pig iron casing all filled with expanded foam  

There is no easy answer after these kinds of incidents thats for sure.

i hope you can get something worked out

Floyd

Edited by brmax

I doubt 1/2 pig iron casing would help they managed to crack that already. The shipping was airfreight from China for a zig zag post sewing machine and a skiving machine. Both packaged were damaged but only one is in bad shape. I could not find this type of machine in the US. 

I just heard from the people that sold me the machine. After I send a video they  told me the machine is junk. Anyone needs any  parts for a Consew 199 or 146 type sewing machine?

It takes some careful work but we have welded a couple machines back together in the past,you need to remove all the lower shafts if you can separate the top from the base, v-grind the crack, get the base  straight w/some heavy angle & clamps,heat it with a torch & use nickle welding rod to weld it with.Then we grind down the weld & repaint.It takes a while to get it done right but it can be saved.

Here's a before & after pic of an Adler we welded.

HTH

Adler we welded.jpg

Edited by CowboyBob

On 3/18/2017 at 11:08 PM, JimTimber said:

I'd be returning it to the seller (easiest solution).  If they refuse to give a refund, then I'd pursue a chargeback against them.  OP bought a non-wrecked sewing machine, and it was not delivered.

It's not that easy, unfortunately, once you've signed for it.  Not as far as UPS goes anyway.  Obviously, there is such a thing as 'hidden damage' from shipping, but are going to have to prove that it was packed exceptionally well, and unless you can demonstrate that, UPS is not going to do a heck of a lot here, based on past experiences.

Heck, it can even be packed in the original, international shipping container, and still not be covered.  It's a darn shame it can go three quarters around the world without any damage, but can't make it across state lines.

Nothing grinds my gears like a poorly packed machine, yet I see it all the time, and do my best to prevent it from happening from machines both coming and going.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Ok that was in much worst shape than my machine is right now. That is what I was thinking of doing, but only to the part that is perpendicular to the bed. I don't think I have to weld the whole crack, because it stoped at a bolt hole in the middle of the bed. Did the weld crack again? Cast iron is not that easy to weld, and welding it with nickel roads is not the strongest way to do it.

UPS doesn't want to do much about the damages. They send me to the UPS air cargo office in China, and the office in China doesn't want to do anything until the I get a letter from the forwarding company that the seller used. It is the forwarding company that has to file the claim until I will get the letter. So if you do ship something do it on your account, otherwise you can't file a claim. The other thing You want to do is open the package and inspect the contents before you leaving UPS. If you don't the will say that it could've been damaged after leaving the station. Also, UPS made me sign a paper that I received the package undamaged before they actually give me the package. And they charged me 30 bucks to actually bring me the package to the door of their station.

The people I met there were nice.

My pursuit would be with the seller, not UPS.  Seller failed to deliver on their end of the transaction; THEY contracted with UPS in this instance and THEY failed to ensure that shipment would be covered if it didn't make it intact (which it did not).

I send product across the country daily, and I choose not to insure it.  If something gets lost/damaged in transit, that's on ME (the risk has proven to be minimal thus far and insurance is a big percentage of the actual value when I'm sending wholesale quantities).  My buyer paid for delivery of perfect merchandise, it's on me to make that happen or they shouldn't have to pay because I didn't fulfill my side of the deal.  Saying "Oh, your stuff got wrecked by the courier, good luck!" is not good business. 

The notion that a buyer needs to buy extra insurance is novel.  The buyer is not the one taking the risk when that item leaves their possession, the seller is - it's in the seller's best interest to insure high value items to protect themselves from being out the money if they're not received intact.  Cost for such coverage should be included in the agreed upon shipping rate no different than the cost for your electric bill and rent is included in the sale price of anything you sell.

Edited by JimTimber