JRDill

Swivel Knife - Plastic Blade?

I will attach a photo later when I have the chance, but I have my grandpa's first ever swivel knife and I am going to start using it soon as I journey into carving. It's a brass swivel knife, but the blade tip is red and looks to be maybe plastic or possibly glass? Any help on identifying what this is?

It's probably ruby stone. Tandy stores sold them years ago.

Yeah it definitely looks like ruby. Do these cut well, or should I replace the blade?

I never cared much for them. I always preferred steel. Try it before you replace it.

Will do, thanks. I may just keep it as is and a keepsake. I will be buying my own soon anyways.

Ruby is really hard stuff, and should have a great edge but be careful, it's brittle and chips easily if you drop it or bang it.  

Bill

Do they still make these blades? Just in case my accident prone self does drop/crack it.

They don't make them anymore.  They do come up on ebay once in awhile, and are quite expensive ...  Like approaching and beyond $100.  

Holy cow. Note taken, and I will cherish this bad boy. My grandpa loved this thing. I still remember him using it to carve saddles he worked on in the summer. 

If I were in your situation, I'd put the blade aside and replace it with a good steel blade, and keep using the swivel knife.  I suspect it's a nice knife, and not nearly so delicate as the ruby blade is.  Best of both worlds that way! 

Just FYI...there should be a small set screw on the barrel of the swivel knife that allows you to remove that blade and change it out. Lots of options in metal and ceramic blades. Some swear by ceramic or ruby blades and some like me just like plain old metal blades.

Thanks, Mark!

And good idea, Bob! I will probably do that sometime this week. I'm also looking into buying my own nice swivel knife to start my "legacy" to hopefully pass down one day. Any recommendations?