Sign in to follow this  
braider

Pineapple knots

You can't have a section on braiding without pineapple knots can you? Here's a few that I've done. A couple of pineapple knot covered bottles, a pineapple knot covered golf ball, and a pineapple knot covered rock. ...Dave

pineapple_knot_covered_bottle_2.jpg pineapple_knot_covered_bottle.jpg pineapple_knot_covered_golf_ball.jpg pineapple_knot_covered_rock.jpg

post-10-1152672589_thumb.jpg

post-10-1152672628_thumb.jpg

post-10-1152672663_thumb.jpg

post-10-1152672720_thumb.jpg

Awesome job Dave. Any chance of a pineapple knot lesson?

Shirley

Hi Shirley... Thanks for the compliment!

The best I can do in regards to a lesson on pineapple knots is to direct you to a site that I think has some very nices images showing you how to build one. I think that for most folks images is an easier way to learn this knot than describing how to do it with text.

Bruce Grant does have descriptions and images in his book - Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding. However, I recently came across a web site that I think has better images of it. The reason I think it's better is because it uses two tones - one for the foundation knot and another for the interwoven knot.

http://www.snakewhip.com/pineappleknot/pa.php

I hope that helps you. ...Dave

:begging: I remember you saying you had a webcam, Dave??? I could easily add any videos anyone wanted to share...hint hint...plenty of space...

When I lived in Macon, the husband of the lady I worked with at the Tandy Leather store used to come in and fool around with knots and braids in all styles. He gave many an impromptu class in braiding and knotwork, and made it look so easy. He would try to toss his knots into the trash as he was leaving, and Judy would scold me for being silly, but I would always fish them out. I'll bet I saved dozens of his "fidgets". What kind of knots are these? I cannot imagine a keyring without a leather braid. (I would have taken a picture of my husband's if I could have found his keys!) I leave the tail hanging out of my jeans pocket, or tuck the tail to the top of my purse, for easy grabbing. The pics are a few Horace Cobb originals that I could lay my hands on right away.

Johanna

knots__Medium_.jpg

someknots__Medium_.jpg

knots__Medium_.jpg

someknots__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1153454210_thumb.jpg

post-5-1153454288_thumb.jpg

Hey, Dave, that website you linked to is our very own Victor Tella. Where are you, Victor?

Bob Deegan is widely recognized as this country's premier handler of the single tail whip, reaching a level of mastery never seen before. His single tail artistry represents the definitive body of knowledge and repertoire of skills found in the scene. He has been the catalyst for the spreading popularity of the single tail in the country over the last five years. The techniques developed and introduced by him have become the modern standard for a new generation of teachers and students alike. July 2003. www.bobdeegan.com

Johanna

Here's a little something I made to go around my neck.

50.jpg

This one is made from Kangaroo Lace. However, the pendant piece did not turn out so well(straight). The pineapple knot construction did turn out really good. The core of the pendant is an old radio anttena cut to length with a mini-pipe cutter I picked up at a hobby store.

Very nice job!

But, my brain is on "off" mode and i cant figure how did you cover an entire bottle with a pineaple knot! :unsure:

http://www.leatherworker.net/forum/index.p...ype=post&id=166

:begging: Can you, if you want, telle me how to do this?

Hi Patrice... My apologies for not responding to your post earlier.

To build a knot large enough to cover a large object you increase the parts and/or bights (scallops) to the knot. The knot in the picture you referred to has 12 bights and 15 parts. If you're familiar with Bruce Grant's 'Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding' book he describes how to do this on pages 134-136, Plates 50-51.