kellyblues

Using a serpentine tool on rounded corners

I can't seam to work out using a Serpentine on a rounded outside corner without ending up with a blob in the corner. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

tmp_17386-IMG_20170319_14575316612493505.jpg

I always stamp first on the side with the shortest length.  On a round corner that is the inside radius. The stamp on the outside will split the difference. 

4 hours ago, Thornton said:

Click on the blue title above.

That is all GREAT information. I didn't see where anyone addressed a rounded corner exactly but I found a lot of that very useful. I could have missed it too. lol

1 hour ago, Lincoln said:

I always stamp first on the side with the shortest length.  On a round corner that is the inside radius. The stamp on the outside will split the difference. 

I'm off to try that out..... What about where the outside is a radius and the inside is square?

Another issue I see with your attempt is you are using a rounded corner on the outside edge and a 90% on the inside. This doesn't make it impossible but it does make it harder.

I would draw/mark just a guide line, then stamp the design along it then go over the guide line, cutting or stamping it wide enough to cover up any overlap. Or if the fancy stamp is cheap enough and I was going to use it a lot I'd buy another and file its corners off to suit the curves

just my $1 dollar [inflation] worth

34 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

Another issue I see with your attempt is you are using a rounded corner on the outside edge and a 90% on the inside. This doesn't make it impossible but it does make it harder.

Right! I have a project I'm working on in which I've run into this problem. I can do 90's and full rounded. It's 90 on the inside and rounded on the outside. I don't want to change the layout to the point of making both either 90 or rounded..

17 minutes ago, fredk said:

I would draw/mark just a guide line, then stamp the design along it then go over the guide line, cutting or stamping it wide enough to cover up any overlap. Or if the fancy stamp is cheap enough and I was going to use it a lot I'd buy another and file its corners off to suit the curves

just my $1 dollar [inflation] worth

I mark my spacing most of the time where the stamp will cover it up. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about a guide line ( my fault I'm sure ).

As for the tool, It's a Barry King so I won't be filing it down. However that does give me an idea....

Look at the examples in the link. See how the legs of the stamp are touching the next one. And the overlap from inside of pattern to outside of pattern is greater than yours. Adjusting both of those should help with your blob problem.