TBigLug

Leather Strop

I needed to put together a stropping board. Found a chunk of 2x3, cut a 2" strip of leather 24" long, glued one 12" piece flesh side out, other 12" piece grain side out, found a pair of 1" strips mounted them the same on the sides. All of it contact cemented to the wood. Now I have rough and smooth out surfaces in 2" for my blades and 1" for my awls and edgers. Rub on some rouge and away we go. 

strop 1.jpg

strop 2.jpg

Good strop!  Add a piece of round braid and you can strop your bevelers, too.

I have made a couple of strops, on one I use a mouse pad for a backing. I am wondering why the flesh side of leather to strop on ?  from what I read in my knife mags we should only use the skin side

resiz strop 1.jpg

The flesh side seems to work the best for me to start on then finish off on the grain side. I could probably skip right to the grain side but this way I have options.

leather is good but a strip of duck canvas glued to the back side of that same board with jewlers Rouge on it would be hard to beat strop on it 1st then the leather. BAM! SCARY SHARP!

Sounds like a good teason to make another one someday.