Kovant

Crimson hides pricking iron

Hi Kovant,

If you can sew with an awl, get Vergez Blanchard or Amy Roke. If you prefer to punch all the way through the leather to the back, give the Crimson Irons a try. They are very high quality.

- Shelby

I have been wanting to try the Wuta pricking irons for awhile now. About 90 bucks for the set. He is good to deal with. 

I just saw Nigel Armitage was sent some and seems to like at the first go. He will probably do a video on them soon. He has a bunch of review videos on pricing irons and stitching chisels.

I just received my set yesterday. Haven't even had the chance to use them except a quick trial. 

Since I only dabble in leather work I only got the 5 and 2 tooth chisels, in 3.85 mm spacing. Got tired of using my Craft tool punches. My initial impression is very favorable. While the pictures on their site make the teeth look like they'll make big holes,  they don't.  Very nice diamond shaped holes,  which may have to be opened a bit with an awl blade during stitching. But I tried them out on 7/8 ounce veg tanned. 

They're beautifully made tools.  And reasonable compared with others.  And Sherlyn was a real pleasure to deal with. 

21 minutes ago, slipangle said:

I just received my set yesterday. Haven't even had the chance to use them except a quick trial. 

Since I only dabble in leather work I only got the 5 and 2 tooth chisels, in 3.85 mm spacing. Got tired of using my Craft tool punches. My initial impression is very favorable. While the pictures on their site make the teeth look like they'll make big holes,  they don't.  Very nice diamond shaped holes,  which may have to be opened a bit with an awl blade during stitching. But I tried them out on 7/8 ounce veg tanned. 

They're beautifully made tools.  And reasonable compared with others.  And Sherlyn was a real pleasure to deal with. 

We're you using the black Craftool or the Pro set? 

I guess they are the black Craft Tool punches. they're black...anyway.

Not familiar with the "Pro" variety.  Just did a search and am getting mixed results using "Craftool Pro" as a search. Some show tools like mine. 

I will add that I opted for the DHL shipping on my Crimson Hides tools,  which increases the cost of course. 

Edited by slipangle

I will add also that one reason I chose the Crimson Hides irons was the mention of the steel and process they use.   DC53 tool steel, hardened, one hopes,  properly.   I don't know much about tool steel but have worked with it a little bit. DC53 is tough,  high quality stuff.   So far, I had seen no mention of the steels used by the Chinese made irons. Not that they're not done properly. But the detail offered by Crimson Hides was at least somewhat reassuring.  

I also wanted actual punches and not pricking irons. 

9 hours ago, slipangle said:

I will add also that one reason I chose the Crimson Hides irons was the mention of the steel and process they use.   DC53 tool steel, hardened, one hopes,  properly.   I don't know much about tool steel but have worked with it a little bit. DC53 is tough,  high quality stuff.   So far, I had seen no mention of the steels used by the Chinese made irons. Not that they're not done properly. But the detail offered by Crimson Hides was at least somewhat reassuring.  

I also wanted actual punches and not pricking irons. 

On Amazon wuta mentions the steel as being dc53 as well. Just for information purposes.

Thanks for that, Bikermutt,

I just got on Amazoon to take a look and was amazed at the number of stitching chisels and pricking irons listed on the site. I hadn't really looked there so was astounded. Seems like all kinds of vendors, mostly Chinese I guess, have jumped on that bandwagon. Tempted to order one of the cheap 3.85 mm irons just to see how the quality looks.  And how it works. 

Edited by slipangle

I just recently purchased several irons and chisels from there. I haven't gotten to use them yet, though. I have had the co link 4mm set for awhile and like them fine.

Maybe a review is in order for the future.

5 hours ago, Sceaden said:

Don't you just love, Nigel? He should be a narrator. 

I have purchased WUTA stitching chisel.  They are professionally made.  Well Made.  I was currently using Good N Leathers chisels which I like.  They are hard to contact.  So, I started looking for replacements in the same price range.  Asking what the best stitching chisel to use is a very open ended question.  Everyone is at different levels of skill and is difficult to say what is the best.  You can find chisels that range from $20 a sett to over $300 a set.I have used several brands.  One needs to find chisels that suit their needs currently.  As we get better, we all like to aquire better tool.  One good thing about stitching chisels is you can use them as pricking irons.  Pricking irons don't work so well at stitching chisels.

Nigel is a great asset to the leather community.  He is fine gentleman and a awesome craftsman.  What his videos.  Read his spread sheets and see what he says.  I have learned a lot from him.  Every now and then in the videos you learn a tip or two how he does some things. 

One nice thing about Wuta is they have chisels in stock ready to ship.  They also reverse chisels.  They ship quickly.

Yes..Nigel should be a narrator.  Cool voice.

Phill

I think the point is that stitching irons can serve as pricking irons while pricking irons, due to the tapered teeth can function as a stitching iron or chisel mainly on very thin leather.  On thicker leather the tapered teeth create a hole that is too big.

For beginners or those that cannot afford pricy irons, stitching chisels are very handy.

I just purchased a pair of Seiwa stitching chisels. They seem to be very well made for the price.

Jim

18 hours ago, Jimmy McLaughlin said:

I just purchased a pair of Seiwa stitching chisels. They seem to be very well made for the price.

Jim

I can confirm Seiwa are very well done tools. I have 6 pieces (different sizes and different profiles) and they are a "joy" to use.

On 3/21/2017 at 12:42 PM, slipangle said:

Hi, putting some life into this thread.. I want to order a couple of irons from crimson hides. How have they worked for you so far? I dont understand why do they offer 3.85 and 4 mm? the difference is so small.