Pablo27

Angle for Basketweave

I hope this isn't a redundant question but I have been researching for two days and can't find answer.  What determines the direction (down to the right or down to the left) of the basketweave?  Or is there only one correct direction?  Hope this question makes sense to someone out there and thank in advance for any advice.

Paul

I do them \. IF You look at the top of this section there are 2 tutorials on doing angled basket weave. But with most stamping I think it's what you like and what works.lol

Personally, I like between 30 and 45 degrees. If you use too little, it looks like you tried to do it level, and didn't quite get it right. I've seen pictures on this forum of just about everything though. Some of us like to consider the cant of a holster when deciding. Something like a belt or checkbook cover, etc., it wouldn't matter.

(I guess the thing is to use the same angle for the entire piece, though!)

I've always done them like this.. not sure which way you call this ;)  Reason is because that feels natural to me and allows me the best view of the work while I'm doing it.   But I've seen some others (some of them left-handed, which may be an issue) do it the other way very well.

My only "thing" about basket weaves ... 1)  I don't think it belongs on everything.  Some folks basket weave everything.  And 2.) I hate it when it "bleeds off" the page, or the work. On mine, when someone talks me into basket stamping something, the impressions run parallel with an edge (or concentric, in teh case of round-ish items).

oak3.jpgUntitled-1.jpg0501.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

On projects where there is a left and a right, such as a saddle or pair of chaps, you end up doing both. One side mirrors the other, or at least that's how I do it.

24 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

where there is a left and a right, such as a saddle or pair of chaps, you end up doing both. One side mirrors the other

That's a great point. Drat, why didn't I think of that?!@$#! :head_hurts_kr:

Every stamp is different.  The length of the stamp is what makes the angle.  I will do up an example tonight is I have time.  If done properly the bottom and top have all of the points of the corner of the stamp line up.  The example JLSleather posted is a great visual of this.

49 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

That's a great point. Drat, why didn't I think of that?!@$#! :head_hurts_kr:

Because you now live in MN!:lol:

2 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Because you now live in MN!:lol:

Oh, sure... play the geography card :rofl:

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Oh, sure... play the geography card :rofl:

Just messing with you. . . SD people have always poked fun at MN and IA people.  And I'm not sure most of these eastern SD people really have any room to be making fun of anyone. Bunch of whiney-assed, welfare raised, self entitled corn farmers. And I was raised here! You're OK!

No offense taken -- just couldn't let you be teh ONLY one tellin' jokes ;)

Make a note of it cuz it don't happen every day! I'm usually the last one to "get" a joke. And I'm not even blond!

Thank you everyone for all the advice, I really love this group.  I think I figured (you all figured) it out. There is only one way for me to stamp and still see what I'm doing is to go /. Otherwise I'm always in my own way( not that I'm not use to that!).  Electrathon  I am looking forward to your example, really like you work.  Thanks again everyone, I will keep checking back here.

First I have to admit I misread your original post. Improper angle on basketweave is a pet leave of mine. I see that you were asking if you should tip it to the left or the right.  That is arbitrary, but most lean to the left. If I was doing two sides I would do one side one way and the other side the other.  

I thought you were asking the specific angle of the weave. Here are samples of correct and incorrect.  Notice that the top and bottom line are parallel to the window.  The red lines are for reference. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The first sample is more appealing. The second is not as symmetrical.  I also did up another sample to show how the angle can be different with a differant size stamp.  You can also note that the impressions are less crisp/clear with this cheaper stamp.

image.jpeg

I tried rocking or tilting (not angling) a basket weave stamp as shown in a video and the stamp snapped right off. Some of the cheap brand name stamps found in hobby stores do not stick to a magnet and are porous like cement inside.  Customer service sent me a more expensive replacement after e-mailing them a photo and it sticks to a magnet and performs better.

On 3/27/2017 at 9:00 PM, ContactCement said:

I tried rocking or tilting (not angling) a basket weave stamp as shown in a video and the stamp snapped right off. Some of the cheap brand name stamps found in hobby stores do not stick to a magnet and are porous like cement inside.  Customer service sent me a more expensive replacement after e-mailing them a photo and it sticks to a magnet and performs better.

Hi Electrathon,

Thank you for the examples of the angle stamps.I'am not sure if you remember me. Some time back I wanted to purchase a stamp from Robert Beard. I didn't know how to go about it. I did some research on the internet and came up with a phone #. I called the number and I got a recording, I left my name and number. I received a call some time later by a gentleman who was extremely nice. I am from NJ/NY area, and being so I don't trust people that I don't know, and very few that I do. Any way, we talked for about twenty minutes or so. He told me everything you could possible want to know about how he makes the stamps and how I can make up my own design. To make a long story short, I didn't know if this was the real Robert Beard.I figured that someone as popular as he is wouldn't have time to talk as long as he did to me.I follow a lot of your posts  and Johanna's so I asked you both if this sounds like the real Robert Beard. You found it somewhat amusing and told me it sounds like the real deal. I just wanted to thank you and Johanna for steering me in the right direction. I told him that I wanted a Basketweave stamp with an arrow head theme. He told me he has a picture of what I wanted in his mind, he will make me the stamp. He explained that the stamp will be given a # and it is mine. He as you know is such a fantastic man. About a year later I received a phone call from his assistant telling me that my stamp was finished and how much he likes it. I received the stamp and it is beautiful. It is a pleasure to work with it. I hope Robert has some spare time to read this post, he is a true artist in what he does. For all of you folks that never tried his stamp, it is worth the money. I just wanted to thank you again for helping me out. If I can get a good picture of something I stamp that I didn't mess up I will post it so you can see the stamp. Thanks again

Jim

Edited by Jimmy McLaughlin

I find in most of my projects that 30 degrees (right or left depending) is what I prefer.45 just looks odd and less looks erroneously flat... just my eye anyhow.

Big Sioux, I love your description of the eastern SD people.  I agree with you and WELL put.   Go Get Em.

Ken