Sign in to follow this  
pepin1948

New workspace

100_3291.JPG100_3292.JPG

We moved to Hamburg, PA, about 3 months ago, so I'm still settling in to this workshop. I can already say though that it is my favorite workspace so far. Half the room had a built in table and shelving; and there are cupboards above the washer and dryer on the other side of the room, where I keep my staining supplies. It left plenty of room for my own work bench; though not quite enough for my staining table (so that is out in the garage right now). Tim scolded me for getting stain on the dryer top :lol:

post-3-1152825313_thumb.jpg

post-3-1152825323_thumb.jpg

I still have to go excavate my sewing machine in the basement to take pics of it. I guess if I sell it, where will my beloved family put all the camping gear? Sigh. Here are two pictures from my files of leather workshops. Neither are mine! My shop area is in the basement, well lit with flourescent lights and east windows. I have a solid workbench and a dye table, and another 14' table I use for cutting and my family uses to pile their stuff on. Someone really needs to talk to my family about being slobs.

The first pic is Verlane's bench, the second pic is a student of Peter Main's in his shop. Look on Peter Main's site for detailed pics of his shop, and Al Stohlman's personalized workbenches and cabinetry.

www.petermain.com

Johanna

Verlane__s_workbench150.pdf

LARRISSA_72.jpg

Verlane__s_workbench150.pdf

post-5-1152978871_thumb.jpg

My present workshop is an armory used for making SCA metal fighting armor I take it over during the day. It has been benificial because I have used the metal dishing forms for making some new armor patterns. The only down sides are my work area is limited and if one of the metalheads shows up to work on some thing I get a metal flake effect, kind of like what you see in car paint jobs, in my dye work. It actually looks kinda neet and sparkly and all and if I could get a more even effect I would try to use it on purpose. For now I'll just threaten to stop giving the metalheads straps for their armor if they don't wait till my stuff dries :P

Edited by B.J. Mantell

I was encouraged by the picture of Verlane's bench....

I don't know how she uses those two wide adjustable lights... but that is what is needed ....at about three inches off your carving stone to give a person the ability to see differences in depth when stamping...and to see the line one is trying to hit when carving .... having two of them that wide means you can position them and not have your working point in a shadow made by your hand or tools.... Greg

I would take a picture of my kitchen table, but if you have seen one you pretty much have seen them all.

LOL.

I know the feeling. even after I actually stopped using my kitchen table and set up a work area I just can't escape it. While deciding on a bench to purchase, I was driving through my alley one night and what do I find...you guessed it...someones old kitchen table. Which now serves as my work bench. Works great. But I really would like a nice oak butcher block bench. (Hey Christmas is right around the corner right!)

Edited by The Major

peter main workshop= :biggrin: I WANT ONE LIKE THAT!!!

definitely

Me, too! Mine looks like a train wreck!

I'm not disorganized, everything is exactly where I put it, now if I could just remmber where it was I'd be ok. :blink:

Edited by The Major

I spent about 3 days a couple weeks ago cleaning up and reorganizing my little workshop in the basement. Every nook and cranny has things stuffed into it but at least my benches are (or were) cleaned off. I took a few pictures because it may be a few more years before it looks like this again.

workshop_pics_012__Large_.jpg

workshop_pics_013__Large_.jpg

workshop_pics_014__Large_.jpg

workshop_pics_015__Large_.jpg

post-12-1172891640_thumb.jpg

post-12-1172891664_thumb.jpg

post-12-1172891688_thumb.jpg

post-12-1172891716_thumb.jpg

wow, you make beautifil work clay B, your workshop look very nice (except the lack of window but still...)! Did you make those saddles? They look superb. I like your carving desk with all tool well placed...

After seeing these pictures I would be ashamed to post pix of my tiny work area.

wow, you make beautifil work clay B, your workshop look very nice (except the lack of window but still...)! Did you make those saddles? They look superb. I like your carving desk with all tool well placed...

Thank you Pella,

Yes I did make the saddles. I started learning how to make them a few years ago. I have made 5 so far. I don't think it's ever something I will do a lot of but I did want to know how it was done. I really enjoy carving most, and most people that want a saddle, want it without much tooling. What fun is that????

If you go to my photo site

http://clayb.dotphoto.com/CPListAlbums.asp

you can see pictures of all of the saddles, and the step be step photos I took as I was making them. Someday Johanna and I will get some of those pictures moved over to this site.

Clay