Why do you see these "lists"?  I mean, if you have a "waiting list" of weeks or months, couldn't you just get that gun you don't have and make one by then?!@~#!

I know I'm new to this. I ship most things ordered within 7 days. Next day if it's a ready made item. 

Unless you have access to every gun ever made, the list is necessary. Also, I do many holsters with gun, laser, light combinations, that gets even worse.

Blue guns are only made for a fraction of total firearm models.  Other mold makers, make even less selection.

There are plenty of guns you cant get a mold for. plenty.

I have close to 200 molds and I still dont have everything I need.  Probably 10 or so handgun mounted lights and lasers too.

By the time you think you got it handeld somebody requests a holster for a gun that nobody else owns. Nobody else makes a holster for it either, so they finally have gotten around to you after going through every other holster maker they know about.

edit...

My waiting list is usually 3 weeks. I often ship in 4 or 5 days.   I dont have ready made items. Well maybe very rarely.

Show me a  craftsman who doesnt have a waiting list and I will show you a craftsman without enough business.  Everyone wants to get their order immediately (me too) but if you can get your custom items from me in less than 3 weeks, that should show you I dont have enough business or I would be 6 months out too.

Edited by HBAR

At least 6 time a year I'm asked about a gun I can't get a mold for.  Heck, I have a guy driving an hour to my house to get a second holster for an odd ball revolver.  He mentioned it on a gun board I'm on and another guy is having me make him one too.  Can't make one for a Charter Arms 9mm revolver without the actual gun.  I can't tell you how many holsters I've made for the Taurus PT111 G2 BEFORE a mold was out.  I borrowed one multiple times and ended up just buying the gun.  I make several holsters for guns most folks don't offer, but I had to buy the guns to do it.  

I find it kind of funny to see the guys that basically have the enter rings list as available.  Those guys are doing what you are talking about I bet.  Waiting until they have an order to get the mold.  

My guess is it's an easy way to answer questions without taking the time to communicate with someone.  If they don't see their gun they can be on their way.  

10 hours ago, HBAR said:

I do many holsters with gun, laser, light combinations, that gets even worse.

Blue guns are only made for a fraction of total firearm models. 

RIght. And 'pancakes' and 'avengers' and shoulder holsters and chest models and cross-draw... etc.  Making a complete list not really even possible, much less 'reasonable'.  I say on my site -- it's not practical (or even possible) to list or show every item I've ever made in leather.  A year or so ago I made a 'thing' for a girl who plays violin.  Tooled piece, goes on her arm somehow like a brace (ish).  She's tickled pink.  But she didn't find out I made those from any list.  Just asked -- and I said okay.

6 hours ago, chiefjason said:

If they don't see their gun they can be on their way.  

But, is that what you want them to do?  I mean, SAY I had a CA 9mm.  If I find your site, and you don't list it, would you prefer that I don't ask?  I'd certainly not like it if someone didn't ask me about a holster because they didn't see it in some list ...

Anyway, not sure how we got on "blue guns", since I never mentioned those to begin with.  

NOW, having said that, I DO think it's worth having a list IF you have items ready to ship out, or close to ready.  For those who 'want it now', you certainly need to let them know what you have 'now'. 

6 hours ago, chiefjason said:

I find it kind of funny to see the guys that basically have the enter rings list as available.  Those guys are doing what you are talking about I bet.  Waiting until they have an order to get the mold.  

Again, not really talking about having a "mold", though that prolly is the 'deal' with some.  I actually HAVE picked up molds I didn't own JUST BECAUSE someone asked (the entire Boberg series was done 'by request').  But that only proves my point..I got the order for those WITHOUT any list - just because people saw that I know leather.

My guess is it's an easy way to answer questions without taking the time to communicate with someone

My guess would be that they're hoping that by putting "glock 19" on their site (for example) that a search for "glock 19" will show their site.  Sort of a little child's SEO approach ;)

Edited by JLSleather

I realize you spend alot of time on the internet, but maybe in your travels you never noticed some peoples websites allow you to order online.

If you dont have a list, how can they know what to put in the cart?  My website unfortunately doesnt offer me the ability to put every kind of gun on the drop down list when you put something in the cart. So they have to pick the style of holster, cant, other features, etc, (or other item not necessarily holsters) then they have to type in the kind of gun they want it made for.  I guess I could not have a list, they could pay and then I could inform them that I dont have access to an FP-45 Liberator from 1942. I could then waste more time refunding their money, while they are now disappointed that they wasted time making the order.

More time in the real world, less time online might do us all good.

I don't have a "storefront" site, either - nor do I want one (or I would have one).  I do not take money today for items I may provide in WEEKS or MONTHS. Nor do I pay anyone else WEEKS in advance -- and I mean anyone.  NOBODY is 'that' good, and anybody can be replaced (period).  There are thousands of places to get a holster, so the idea that I would wait MONTHS for any one guy is ridiculous, even if I didn't make my own.

Personally, when I see these lists of "guns I build for", if the one I want isn't on the list, I assume that either 1)  they don't know how to make a holster for gunX or 2.)  they don't want to make that one.  In those cases, having a list actually CAUSED me to shop somewhere else.

If you want a list, then have one. Or if you don't want a list, then don't have one :dunno:  But I don't know what is to be gained here by arguing with me - particularly for people who are so very busy...

7 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

But I don't know what is to be gained here by arguing with me - particularly for people who are so very busy...

I guess its your overly condescending attitude that everyone else but you is wrong. Typical internet shit.

I've stopped taking any orders for a while so I can get caught up. When I start up again I don't plan on making holsters for anything that I don't already own or have a mold for. I actually like the idea of limiting it to only 1911's and SAA's, but since I have a bunch of molds it makes sense to build for them too.I might think differently if I did this for a living, then again I might not. 

Different business models make sense to different people. If you want to make a holster for anyone who wants one, great! If you want to build a select few holsters for people who want them, great! 

wow people if your a custom holster maker thats fine if you can only make them from what patterns you have or can not make a pattern like myself thats fine use a list. i always thought custom men't you could just about do anything but be honest if you dont have the mold gun or the real gun take the time and tell the would be customer that . that way they will understand the reason as to why!

On 3/23/2017 at 6:02 PM, JLSleather said:

Why do you see these "lists"?  I mean, if you have a "waiting list" of weeks or months, couldn't you just get that gun you don't have and make one by then?!@~#!

I'm one of those people with a gun list. I also have a pretty significant wait time. To answer your question, there have been plenty of times that I couldn't get my hands on a gun, and molds weren't available for that model either. It happens sometimes. 

On 3/23/2017 at 11:44 PM, chiefjason said:

My guess is it's an easy way to answer questions without taking the time to communicate with someone.  If they don't see their gun they can be on their way.  

Well, you're partly right. It is a way to provide answers that saves time.

However, my website also lets people know that if they don't see their gun listed, they can contact me about it, and I can check if there is a mold available. If a mold is not available, I can look into other options. I certainly don't send people on their way.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:24 AM, JLSleather said:

I don't have a "storefront" site, either - nor do I want one (or I would have one).  I do not take money today for items I may provide in WEEKS or MONTHS. Nor do I pay anyone else WEEKS in advance -- and I mean anyone.  NOBODY is 'that' good, and anybody can be replaced (period).  There are thousands of places to get a holster, so the idea that I would wait MONTHS for any one guy is ridiculous, even if I didn't make my own.

A lot of what you're talking about is very subjective. Lots of people run things differently, but it doesn't make it better or worse -- Just different. If what you do works for you, that's great, but it might not work for everybody. 

As it sits, apparently there are people who will wait months for a holster. I certainly can't force them to buy a holster from me, so I can only conclude that they like my stuff enough to wait. In turn, I work my tail off to get orders out as fast as I can manage. It's a situation that has worked out pretty well so far.

Personally, when I see these lists of "guns I build for", if the one I want isn't on the list, I assume that either 1)  they don't know how to make a holster for gunX or 2.)  they don't want to make that one.  In those cases, having a list actually CAUSED me to shop somewhere else.

Again, I think it's all in the way you go about it. I specifically state on my website -- on the "gun list" page -- that if you don't see your gun listed, contact me so that I can see if that mold is available.

That certainly isn't the kind of offer I would extend if I was unwilling or unable to make a holster for them.

If you want a list, then have one. Or if you don't want a list, then don't have one :dunno:  But I don't know what is to be gained here by arguing with me - particularly for people who are so very busy...

Man, I have nothing against you, but it's pretty hard to miss the contempt in your original post. Then, when someone joins the conversation and offers their valid observations, your condescension doesn't really help your case.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:30 AM, wayner said:

wow people if your a custom holster maker thats fine if you can only make them from what patterns you have or can not make a pattern like myself thats fine use a list. i always thought custom men't you could just about do anything but be honest if you dont have the mold gun or the real gun take the time and tell the would be customer that . that way they will understand the reason as to why!

[emphasis mine]

Here's the thing -- my time is valuable, and I assume that my customer's time is also valuable. I'm a one-man operation. I don't have employees, helpers, or elves to do any of this for me. Every minute I spend on the phone or answering email is a minute that I'm not fulfilling orders.

That's kind of the point of putting information on a website -- to provide answers to common questions, and save everyone time. It's more efficient both for me and my customers, and if there are still questions (and there frequently are) I have no problem answering them.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:36 AM, Josh Ashman said:

I've stopped taking any orders for a while so I can get caught up. When I start up again I don't plan on making holsters for anything that I don't already own or have a mold for. I actually like the idea of limiting it to only 1911's and SAA's, but since I have a bunch of molds it makes sense to build for them too.I might think differently if I did this for a living, then again I might not. 

Different business models make sense to different people. If you want to make a holster for anyone who wants one, great! If you want to build a select few holsters for people who want them, great! 

That is something I can completely understand. I've thought about "thinning the herd" a time or two myself. :)

Edited by BHPshooter
Spelling

Oh, this came around again?  

The response seems consistent - "here's a list, but if it isn't on the list I'll make it anyway"-  Which - of course - was the reason for my question originally.  Initially, my question was about "guns I build for" -- had nothing to do with "blue guns", molds, or wait time.

I conclude that the actual factual answer is closer to: 'We have a list because we saw other people with a list, so we figured we should too'.  Much like a 'makers mark'.. we have one 'because you're "supposed to".

Meh... whatever ... each his own.  Silly me - I still sometimes ask a question and almost expect an actual answer.  Guess I'll learn ...

Must be a 'forum' thing, I guess.  Just came from over at 'cutesy', where they have changed the payment system slightly.  And I mean almost not at all.  And there's a thread in the forums (currently 103 PAGES of posts) full of people complaining about something that is not what what was said at all. :rofl:  Some of them are "tired of being told what to do" (I guess someone made them use cutesy?) and being "bullied", and they are quitting and closing their stores.  But not until next month ... :whistle:

Edited by JLSleather

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Silly me - I still sometimes ask a question and almost expect an actual answer.  Guess I'll learn ...

Seems to me that very clear answers have been given numerous times. Maybe the rest of need to learn not to get drawn in to your silly posts. 

Yeah - I "tricked" you with a simple question?  Alrightey, then ...

The question was '' IF you have a "list of guns", what is your reason?".  Some don't know, and some know but prefer not to say, all of which is :dunno:  whatever.

What baffles me is how far some will go - and how out there --- over questions which were not asked.  I remember that one thread a while back, where people got scrappin' mad that Jeff said you shouldn't use a round knife.  Problem was, I've never said that. :Lighten:

I never said you "tricked" anyone, I said your question was answered very clearly numerous times and that you have silly posts that maybe the rest of us should stop participating in. 

In regards to the numerous answers given for why people have lists, re-read BHP's post if you like. It's direct answers with reasons given to quotes of your posts. Really couldn't be more clear. 

In regards to your posts being silly, that's obviously just my opinion and it only applies to the posts you make where it seems you're trying to pick a fight with anyone that doesn't agree with you. As for not getting drawn into these types of posts from you, that's something I should try to do. 

All the best, 

Josh 

Wow.....LOL really you guys and gals?  Lets play nice here......Maybe a little thicker skin is required all the way around?  I just read through this thread and I can see JLS's point.  If you are not limiting the list of guns you are willing to make holsters for, why have a list?  Conversely, could you be loosing customers if they do not see their particular firearm on your list?  While I believe the question may be a bit rhetorical, it is a legitimate question and worth the time to ponder.  It was not an indictment against you or your business.  Its just a question.  The point being why not review and reconsider how\what\why you are doing what you do and maybe try a different approach so that you might grow.  In other words break away from the pack and innovate your approach.  This may make you a bit more unique and act as a differentiator within the context of holster making.  

JLS has a bunch of good usable patterns to his credit.  He has taken the time to produce documentation on the process and procedures for making a holster.  When contacted by me with questions,  his replies have been quick and useful. If I do not see what I am  looking for,  I contact him and ask.  This approach seems to work quite well.  More importantly JLS's web design allows me to see what I am buying and is conducive to my contacting him and opening up a dialogue.  This process builds\develops a business "relationship" with the vendor and thereby increases my loyalty to his brand.(Marketing 101)  `If your intent\hope is to increase sales, repeat customers and referrals you may want to look at JLS's model... Just saying

Kevin