Chayse

Greetings from Central Florida

Hello all, thought I would introduce myself..I am a newbie to the world of leather but not to sewing. My mother taught all of us children how to sew at an early age...I just stuck with it. My main hobbies include everything metal...I am a certified welder and I am graduating from CNC Machinist school next month. although I am just a desk jockey through the week. I currently own two machines...a singer 20U33 and the new addition, a Chandler 305-64.

I am interested in leather and the art of leathercraft...I am one who enjoys working with my hands and seeing the fruits of my labor when finished. I do have a couple of projects lined up once the rehab of the Chandler table is complete. I will mainly meddle in a few holsters and concentrate on dog collars, as we currently foster and rescue Belgian Malinois dogs...I was a former dog trainer in the military and carried it through to my civilian job for a few years.

I have already learned a lot here on this forum when I lurked...it simply amazes me what one can do with leather. I am looking forward to learning and expanding my knowledge base in this craft!

V/r,

Chayse

Howdy, dog collars are an excellent item to start with.

I encourage everyone to start with small repeatable items. Start with a shoulder and a strap cutter. This will allow you to hone all the techniques on the least amount of leather. When you botch one, it doesn't cost much. Also, you can do several at once.

This is a lesson I didn't learn until I was in it for a bit. I was making one off items and then jumping to something else. I was never happy with my final results because the basic s.o.p. was not taking root. I would forget a step or my burnishing wasn't good enough, etc etc....

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the warm welcome and insight, once the Chandler is operational and properly sewing, I will definitely take my time. Thanks again!

David from W Gainsville, Fl ,

HELLO. and welcome this site, IT is an endless source for information and sharing ideas to better one's work,

DO NOT hesitate asking a question you may get a 100 responses or just a few, use the search bars in the forums to find answers, Remember  WE ALL stood where you are, so just take the first step or JUMP in head first and do it.

All the questions you are going to ask have been probably asked and answered here and you might get directed to a previous post not because people don't want to answer but that post has most if not all your answers.

SO get to work

9 hours ago, Chayse said:

currently foster and rescue Belgian Malinois dogs

Congrats on the fostering and thanks for caring for the animals,WELL DONE,,, I have about 60-80 rescues stopped counting and my leather work helps add to the care cost for them.

db

Edited by greystoneleatherllc

Hello from a former Flordidian, I grew up in Melbourne. How did you end up with Belgians? Not your average dogs.

Yes, Belgians are not your average house pet...  I brought home my partner from Iraq after working together for 4 years. I was used to the breed from my years in the military. He passed unexpectedly last year, it was devastating to my family, as my wife had grown very close to him. Instead of 'buying' another Mal, we both decided to foster and rescue...we have failed twice(adopted 2) but have since had the pleasure of placing 3 to new homes. They are challenging to say the least and takes a bit of patience and determination to handle them. That is probably the reason they end up on the street or in a shelter in the first place, sad!

We just moved from Melbourne, picked up a nice parcel south with plenty of room for the dogs to run.

@Chayse- That is so cool. We decided we wanted more room and animals, so got a chunk up here in Georgia.Ended up becoming an unofficial rescue for dogs. Just dogs left at the dumpsters, or left on our quiet road. So... what was new in Melbourne? I hear they even built a Chucky Cheese there!

I don't know when you left but yes, on 192 and I-95, there is a CC..LOL! I was stationed at Patrick from 02-08, then went directly overseas as a contractor for 4 years working dogs. It has changed quite a bit since we moved here in '02. It is frustrating sometimes with these rescues...very hard to know the history behind these pups, so unless you do something that triggers a bad memory....it is a learning process for the both of us. We have had both ends of the spectrum...submissive to aggressive. Just got to be patient and show them you mean nothing but good. Love and patience goes along ways for these pups...soon, trust follows!

Here is our first failure....2 y/o owner surrender...just "because he wasn't a German Shepard"...got to wonder about people these days!

20170222_001313.jpg

I was born in Sarasota in '56 and moved out in '05, so if you think you saw some changes you can imagine what I was saddened to see happen to the home state. My ex-wife and I had a Rottie rescue after we moved to Arcadia. Doing any type of animal rescue can give a dim view of some humans.

Chris

We bugged out around 2010, after living in Orlando for a year. Made moving to the woods easier.

I actually grew up in Orlando, my father retired out of NTC Orlando when it was still open...maybe '85-ish. I do remember Epcot just being an open scaffold..

I am ok with change but it it is just getting..too..peopley..if that makes any sense..

@ChriJ ..dim is an understatement,,it sickens me sometimes...but...all I can do is try to save just one at a time..

Here is my thought...I will start with dog collars , and hopefully my skills will continue to progress. If I can send them to their new home with a new collar, a little piece of me, then I have done my job....I digress....back to leather talk 

Welcome!

Both our dogs are rescues too, though not your breed.  We fostered for a little while and ended up with two we couldn't part with.

Rodney