Chayse

New to me Chandler 305-64

Second post, so far I have learned a lot, just by lurking before I joined. So here is the scoop, I came across a Chandler 305-64, understandably just a re-badged Adler 105-64 ( I researched here before purchase). The machine is in great shape for being roughly 30 years old and I am the second owner of this machine in this time. The previous owner, the U.S. Navy, purchased the machine brand new in 1987 at a tune of $3721.00 (it has a brass placard on the back with all the information). As with all military hardware, it had a functional 'Hour Meter' attached to the table...showing only 465 hours....so 15.5 hours a year (average use) is not bad in my book. It is complete with table and the dreaded clutch motor. The only damage I found was that the thread reel pin on top of the machine was sheared off. It took me a few minutes with a small drill bit and an easy-out to remove the threaded stub. I contacted Durkopp Adler about a replacement...needless to say they are 'proud' of their parts!! At a cost of $97.00, I think I can fashion one up on my lathe and mill and have some change in my pocket afterwards!

I am currently refurbishing the table, as it was stored in a warehouse and had not been taken care of at all. After a good cleaning and a bit of oil, it turned smooth as silk. I didn't have any sewing machine specific oil on hand, so I oiled it with some oil that I use on my vertical mill, oil that is used for the precision ground matched bearings in the mill. I figured if it was good enough for precision bearings, it ought to be good enough for a German-engineered machine....please correct me if I am wrong? I will pick up some oil specifically made for sewing machines.

I came with only one foot, looks like a right cording foot and have contacted Bob at Toledo Indust. Sewing Machines for replacements...at least he has a regular foot in stock and should get me started in the right direction.I have a line on a servo motor to replace the clutch motor but will wait until I finish the table refurb until I purchase it. 

Being new to leather, I have a few projects lined up, mainly dog collars, as we foster and rescue Belgian Malinois. I would like to be able to send them to their new home with a piece of me...a new collar as they settle in to their new homes. I may dabble in a holster here or there if my skills progress to the point I am not wasting material.

So, experienced members, if you could possibly shed any light on the pros and cons of this machine,it would be greatly appreciated. Seeming that I mainly use my Singer 20U for most of my projects, the fan-dangled cylinder arm machines are all a new beast to me! Any help, words of wisdom, or criticism is greatly appreciated. Here are a few pics after moving it into the sewing room. Thanks in advance.

V/r,

Chayse

20170310_195634_001.jpg

Another angle

20170310_195706.jpg

I doubt this one was built by Adler, I´d rather say its an early "clone". Adler 105 are a bit longer and the upper part looks different. However - still a great deal I think!

I think it is a needle fee machine (like 105-64) but to be sure I´d like to see a picture of the back side of the machine.

If you mean the upper tension you can probably replace it with the tension unit of a Singer 29K. Not sure if the internal threading is the same but in worst case you can glue it in with JB Weld - did that on a friends Adler 4 machine a while ago - works flawless up to the current day. If you buy the 29K tension stud make sure you are buying a tension nut too as the threading may be different.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/413D-ADJUSTING-NUT-SIDE-SINGER-29K

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/1560W-TENSION-NUT-SINGER-29K

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/2102-TENSION-DISC-SINGER-29K   (2 needed)

29K tension springs are probably too weak - you may need a heavier spring for your machine.

I´m sure you can find these parts in the US too (Toledo Sewing Machine F.I.) but CS in GB is my source for parts as I´m on the other side of the pond.

Here are pictures of a Singer 45K and 29K tension unit just to compare. Picture 1 is 45K and picture 2 is 29K - notice the heavier spring in 1st picture

IMG_9636.JPG.7eb0cc12b82303847d66e64e7cf28bad.JPGIMG_9637.JPG.bd648f9876f65b9ea0c275d9574a69c9.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Looks like you are correct Constabulary, looks as if there are minor differences between the Adler 105-64 and my Chandler 'Clone'.  The first picture is of an Adler, the second is my Chandler...looks as if the Adler has one more thread tension assembly than my Chandler. 

My machine is a needle feed machine, with reverse...the stitch length adjusted by the lever...which I think is similar to the Adler.

datei_1361442800.JPG

Chandler Back.jpg

Constabulary, I think we may be talking about 2 totally different things here. I just re-read what I posted and your replies. Here is a pic of what I discovered that was broken...the $97 piece from Durkoff. I refuse to pay absorbent prices for simplistic things! I will fabricate a new thread reel pin on my lathe or mill before I pay that...maybe for a more important piece...yes...this...no. 

Here is the part in question...

datei_1361442800 2.jpg

Nice find on that one. Machine looks in good shape considering it belonged to the Navy. Wonder what they use to make with it?

@MADMAX22.. I have no idea what they would have used it for, there was, what seemed to be, a stiff, wire-like thread on the bobbin. I lucked out and picked it up for $250. My original plan was to clean it up and flip it but figure I would dabble in a few projects that my Singer 20U can't handle. I mainly sew Cordura nylon and such...so this is entirely a new beast for me to learn on!

Wow, that's a steal!

I couldn't pass it up....ad had a horrible picture and took me a couple hours to identify it....once I found out what it was capable of...I bought it. He also had a Consew 206rb for the same price but I was too late on that one....

Darn thats a good deal, I always wish the liquidation site had some near my area but all the sewing machines seem to be on the east coast. Scene some cool stuff pop up from time to time on there. 

This was a private seller...guess he got the machines from work. The very same way I picked up my vertical mill, fellow was told by the boss to make the machine disappear, due to a fallout with a former employee...so he took it home. I actually passed on 2 lockstitch machines today....a Chandler (Brother) DB2-763-5 and a Singer Professional..owner is moving and needs the funds...$300 for both. Wife would have killed me...and I currently do not have room!

what you mean is a spool pin (or thread guide pin). That's an easy fix - if you are using a "external" thread stand you don´t even need it. What I have posted is the upper tension unit which is missing on your machine and you need this tension unit. It belongs to the backside of the machine there you see the small wire hoop attached with a screw. Compare with the 105 picture.

$250 is a GREAT DEAL!

Wife is not killing you - she would be just mad for a day or two - or three... :lol: Buy her some shoes or handbag - solved :blahblahblah:

Edited by Constabulary

4 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Wife is not killing you - she would be just mad for a day or two - or three... :lol: Buy her some shoes or handbag - solved :blahblahblah:

You meant "make her a handbag", right?   "Honey, I couldn't have done this without the new machine."  :D

I had to pass one up similar to that for $450 because I don't have the space, and it wouldn't gain me that much over what my 441 already does (smaller cylinder diameter is the only up side).  I thought $450 was a deal. lol

Goldstar might have your missing tensioner.  https://goldstartool.com/

This Chandler 305-64 was made in Japan after Chandler, which had been the Adler distributor in America lost that distributorship.  They went to Japan and had the machine knocked off.  It is a copy of a Adler 105-64.

As to the missing spool pin on top, you should be able to get one from Bob at Toledo. Probably get you one from a Cowboy.   I believe this pin is only a pressure fit and not threaded.  Hope that helps.

glenn

@Constabulary-I think i am tracking now...will investigate a little further about the missing tension assembly

@JimTimber-Thanks for that link, I will do some searching to see if I can locate it

@shoepatcher-it is threaded, 10-32 threads actually, I was able to remove the broken stub..you can see it in the last picture, I screwed it in a couple threads to prevent from losing it

Thanks for everyone's help, now i will search for these parts...

V/r,

Chayse

Ok, I was successful in removing the broken tension assembly stud...man what a P.I.A. that was.... Now just to locate the replacement parts. I searched on the Goldstar website, as JimTimber recommended but was unable to locate any parts....maybe I am not searching 'correctly'. 

If anyone has any words of wisdom on the website, let me know...I am on my way to a friends sew shop, as his father has been repairing for a couple of decades....maybe I can get lucky and find some parts in the junk drawer! Wish me luck!

Chayse,

With the threads  at 3/16" x32, you should be able to find grade 8 bolt on line that you can cut an make a spool pin out of. I know I could make a hell of a lot of spool pins for $97.00!  As to the tension assembly, you need to determine what the threads are on the tension assembly stud.  I believe Consew made a copy of the 305-64.  Maybe a 754 model bracket. I know I have seen clones out there somewhere.

glenn

Well, after about 3 hours at my friends sew repair shop, I was able to find a thread reel pin and tension assembly...plus other goodies for my 20U33. The thread reel pin was free and we dug through bins and parts drawers and were able to come up with a tension assembly that will work. However, we were unable to find the right thread pitch that would fit the 305. So, out came the micrometers and drill bits. Unfortunately, I had to use JB Weld to secure the new assembly in place (currently curing). On a good note, it didn't cost me but just a couple dollars. 

I spent a total of $83 dollars today....most of which went towards a binder attachment ,edge guide, and various parts for my 20U...as I sew a lot of 1000D Cordura Nylon. The actual money spent on the 305 was .....really...not much! We were able to find a roller guide for the 305, as well. Since I plan to make a removable tabletop for the 305, I will be able to mount the roller guide in an acceptable position....although not in the factory position...if that makes any sense. The roller guide is for an older Singer machine, so once the tabletop is in place, drilled and tapped, I can mount an use the roller guide....it costs me a whole $7.50!

Also, I had to order some needles for the machine..the owner's supplier only sells the needles in lots of 100. So, to lessen the cost, he agreed to pay half of the cost...just so he could have some on hand if a potential customer should need them. So, I was able to procure 50 needles for my machine...should honestly last me a lifetime!

This guy has parts galore...hanging on pegboard...in drawers....in nooks and crannies....geez...I really don't think there is a  machine that he has not seen (within reason). He did pull out a shuttle assembly for a big cylinder arm machine....it was almost twice the size of the one for my 305...it actually made it look small! He then pointed to the door where the motor laid....was a 1.5hp factory motor for the machine! He said it was for a machine similar to mine but it had been so long that he couldn't recall the manufacturer. 

Absolutely love places like this....and to make things better...it is just right down the street from my house. It was a good day....well, until I came home to find the A/C was acting up....that is another story!

V/r,

Chayse

Here are a couple pics of the parts. I will continue to let the tension assembly cure before I utilize it...also, the tension release bar (I am sure not the proper name for it), works as designed.

Reel Pin.jpg

Tension Assembly.jpg

Looks like you're well on your way!

2 minutes ago, JimTimber said:

Looks like you're well on your way!

Thanks but I have a steep learning curve to overcome on this one...I think the fun and frustration, are just around the corner!

Pffftttt....  Once you thread it and get the tension set right, it's just sewing.

You might want to re-work the pedal set up.  Having the throttle under the bench puts you at an odd angle to the needle unless you're bow legged.  Look at some stands/tables for the other cylinder arm machines for ideas on how to make the linkages.

Btw, the tension disk you added is cranked down way too tight unless that spring is much lighter than mine are. ;)   And don't mess with the bobbin tension at first.  There's a lot of adjustment that can be made with the top tension to get good stitches without changing the bobbin.  My 441 will run 69 to 207 thread without any adjustment of the bobbin tension.

Thanks! I am in the process of refurbing the table now, as whomever cut the end off the table. I plan to move the motor control pedal out from under the machine to a more practical location. As for the foot left pedal, it will be close by in a comfortable location. 

The tension assembly is like we put it together yesterday at the shop and will adjust accordingly when finally setting up the machine to sew. The owner handed me a couple different springs for the tension assembly, in different weights, to help in getting things dialed in...but that is a long way off.

I still have to sand/stain the top and get it mounted. Then I will focus on designing the foot control bracketry...just time, steel, and a welder at that point. All of which I have, will just have to find the time in between the rest of my 'projects'!

I appreciate all of the helpful advice that everyone has provided thus far...one of the reasons why I finally joined this group!

V/r,

Chayse 

You're doing well, Chayse. Now you've got to admit, isn't it a lot of fun fixing these things up?;)

@dikman...yes, I would agree, it is fun and I do enjoy a good challenge! This isn't new to me....I have rebuilt my 1946 Atlas lathe, 1938 Atlas drill press....and although it took me 5 years, a frame off resto-mod of my 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser. Currently, I am redoing a '96 Ford Bronco for a friend...in the wings is my '80 1st generation Toyota pickup. All in do time...as we have plenty of it... 

I do like seeing the end result...a functional machine that you have helped to rebuild, giving it yet another breathe of life. I am sure my boys will probably hate me when it comes to getting rid of things when I can no longer do what I love to do.  But until then, I will continue to do what gives me peace and joy...working on such things that hopefully, will give some one else joy...and...of importance, saving a vintage machine from being recycled into things we know today....junk! Nothing is built like it was in times past. If I can save just one from the scrap heap...then I have done my job...

Thanks again to all that have provided information and insight...without one another...well...we would be clueless I think!

V,r

Chayse

I feel you @dikman @Chayse

I found rebuilding / restoring old sewing machine to be addictive mainly because it is a simple challenge ahead relatively. I used to rebuild and restore vintage motorcycles before, but found it was irrelevant after my son was born and the company transferred me to another city then. Keep it up :rockon:

Edited by patria