RyanBattles

Basic Tools

Hello, I was wondering if any of you more experienced leather workers could help me create a basic list of tools for carving and stitching the leather not tooling yet... I compiled a list myself but with everything it was over $200 and I was wondering if any of you could just give me some ideas of tools just to start basically and my first project i want to try and create a small front pocket wallet just to see what I could do.

,Thanks Ryan

You have to buy something to cut the leather with. A stanley knife works well, but you need the sort that has a fixed blade. You can also get hooked blades, that mean you can go round corners.A steel ruler and square if you have them.

Cardboard for making patterns.

You do not say the thickness of leather you will be using. I can cut my bridle butts, that are 3.5mm thick with my dressmaking shears.

For sewing, get an awl that will do  SMALL  holes- a lot of them are designed to make holes that are too big. Needles will be saddle makers ones with a round point. I also have a small curved awl, that is often used for  cutting in to the leather at an angle..

Beeswax if you are using linen thread. Linen is much easier to "end off". You do not want your stitches to start undoing themselves.

For carving, a swivel knife, preferably with a ceramic blade if you are US at sharpening like me.

Some stamps that will look good as a border.

A stitch groover with adjustable distance.This makes stitching to a line much easier, and looks good.

A stitch wheel for marking your stitch holes, unless you have a sewing machine.

A pair of pliers (small) for pulling the needle through the leather, when you are ending off or going back on your stitches

An edge beveler to finish edges off-possibly a no.3.Also a slicker when you use edge stain and want a shiny finish.I still use my cheap plastic Tandy one.

Edge stain and gum arabic for finishing the edges with, if your item is made of stiff leather..

Just in case you were wondering- I came into leatherwork from many years of sewing my own clothes, so a lot of the things I use are from that perspective.I also do a lot of woodwork and associated things, so I have quite a lot of tools, some of which get used for leatherwork.

I hope that helps.

There are a number of threads on here with lists of beginner tools.  You might also try youtube where I believe Ian Atkinson goes over same.  His videos are great.  Check out Nigel Armitage also.

If I was just starting again, this is what I would do.

I would spend about 50.00 on a starter tool set from Amazon. Cheap tools, but it will give you a starting point. Then I would add a set of 4mm stitching chisels and some .8mm tiger thread, both also available on Amazon.

You just spent about a hundred bucks, and you got a lot of toys. The chisels and thread will work a nice range of smaller goods. From wallets to knife sheaths you will be covered.