taltexan

Do I need two machines?

Wife wants to sew light leather (2 to 6oz) and nylon webbing to maybe 1/4" thick.

I want to make holsters, gun belts, knife sheaths, etc. I don't want to be adjusting everything. What should I be looking at for both our needs? I would like to buy used if possible. Would also like fair pricing on whatever y'all recommend. Prices seem to be all over the place for machines I have looked at on the internet. Thanks for your help. 

I live close to the metromess of Dallas-Ft Worth. 

New machine prices are pretty well fixed (price fixed) at a certain level between the suppliers so deal with whos closest or who you like the best. Used prices are all over the place since people think there 40 year old wore out walking foot is worth $200 less then a new setup however deals can be found. It may take a while but you can find fair deals on used machines (not super cheap but fair).

For your wifes stuff depending on if she wants a cylinder arm is looking at the typical walking foot 111w clone basically (111w,211g,206rb, 562/563, 145/545 or cylinder arm variants 153w, 227, ....) while you are looking at probably a 441 clone or similar. 441s pop up on the forums pretty often and various other places. 

If I was in your shoes and had the money obviously it would be a 441 and a 206rb5 but I understand money dont grow on trees so make sacrifices where necessary. 

Wanted to add I left out a bunch of machines (cant list them all) and alot of the classics. You could use many other machines for these process's those are just the ones that came to mind. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Welcome to the machine area

Yes on two machines, your holster you mentioned needs big thread so a Juki 441 or the famous clones made from that. 

Seems everybody needs the mid size machine to work a majority of the other load also. 

You can find excellent new hardly used machines, if i can so can you. The key is patience so in the mean time look for the singer clones, but classed/ called compound walking foot style. This is just the ticket ya need. Listen up to these others on here i have learned a great deal from this place myself.  The secret with all purchases cash in hand and willing to travel.

Floyd

Short answer - yes! As mentioned a 441 or similar (or bigger) 'cos holsters will be the problem. With my assortment of machines I can do pretty well everything EXCEPT holsters , they're just too thick.

For your wife, a cylinder arm would probably be more versatile, but a flat bed should cover her needs, any of the 111/211 variants or a Pfaff 335 or clone.

New prices from reputable dealers are pretty consistent and established. Solar Leather is in Dallas area (you want dealer service available). While he isn't an advertiser here, he does chime in quite a bit to help people out. He is a dealer for cowboy, who does advertise here.

Well I am halfway there...I found a nice used Cowboy 3200 that was local. I am looking at a 1206 from Bob for my wife.  

I noticed the 206rb would sew 46 thru 207. The 1206 shows 69 Thur 207.  That's what the manuals show any way and the safety on the 206.

i like the additional thread spread on the 206 but not for the extra funds. 

Is the safety worth the extra for a new guy?

Pretty sure now a days the 206 is a better machine overall. Also you may wanna ask about actually being able to use 207 thread. Probably be easier to resell if you needed to as well. 

Edited by MADMAX22