ndnchf

Servicing a Singer Clutch Motor

Thanks for the detailed reply. 

The motors I was looking at all have the dial on the box with a number of settings. I compared the listed specs of at least 4 or 5 of them.  They seem to all be the same.  I realize buying from a reputable dealer provides a little more peace of mind should something be wrong with it. I'm just surprised how many different brands there are.  Are there newer versions for 2017 that offer improvements over those that came out in the last couple of years?

I don't need a speed reducer, at least not yet.  But the 2" pulley would be preferable.

Wiz has the sort that you are looking at I think..maybe some others here have them..IFAIK the dealers on here can fit a 2" pulley to them before they ship them to you ( dealers who specialize in leather machines know that the smaller pulley is the one that their clients are gong to want, but specify it when you order anyway )..Best reason for buying from a dealer who is on here is that they will stand by their merchandise..and you won't be faced with dealing with China if you get a "dud" ( which can happen, as no dealer has the time to check each individual motor that they ship out ) and need a return or an exchange.

re the number of "brands" of anything..you'd be amazed ( or maybe not ) just how few true manufacturers are actually making what is sold under various "brands" in all walks of life..I know the "biker leather","country and western" and the "sexy leather" market very well, most of what you see marked made in the USA is not actually made in the USA..by most I mean as much as 90% of the big brands merchandise..that is from jackets to saddle bags to grips to paddles to fringe waistcoats to bras and corsets and BDSM wear..and their margins are huge..buy in a real leather corset for $20.00 from Asia sell it with a US brand label for $350.00..or really good quality ( brands that you all know ..and maybe wear ) biker jacket made in Asia for $50.00 , the "brand" lining sewn in in Asia..shipped to the USA and have just one final short seam sewn ( or the label with made in USA ) sewn in in the USA..and sold for $500.00 and upwards in the stores..

eg..I have a leather item ( women's luxury wear ) that I designed many years ago..I have it made in Asia..I pay $20.00 per piece..the people who make it for me make the same item ( with my permission ) for others for around $25.00 ..luxury item ..sells in high end New York ( and elsewhere ) store for $650.00..has the importers "brand" on it..not the only item I have designed that this happens with

A lot of "brands" work like this..profit is not so good on motors as on women's luxury wear..but very few "brands" make their own stuff..

I just got off the phone with Bob Kovar at Toledo.  A new servo motor, thread, needles and bobbins will be on their way shortly. Now I need to get going with removing the old motor and controls.  Then I want to refinish the table and service the machine.  I'm looking forward to a new adventure with this machine!

Steve