TBigLug

Bandolero Holster Adapter

So I recently got in to black powder revolvers. That in turn is what got me into leather working again. The first gun I bought was an 1851 Navy that came with a holster. I quickly discovered the belt loop was way to small to go over my gun belt. Turns out it was designed to work with a belt style called bandolero. I decided instead of making a new bandolero style belt I would build an adapter for my current belt. I wasn't able to find one for sale and figured, what the heck. I got leather, let's see what happens. I used two layers of 5-7, mostly for stitching practice. I still for the life of me cannot get the backside of my stitch holes to line up. I think it just boils down to taking my time. I need to build a taller stitching pony. I'm 6'5 and have to get super hunched over to use the one I have now. I dyed the outside burgundy to test out some shading, not to match the holster. Oiled with neetsfoot, finished with my neetsfoot/ beeswax mix. Looks like it will work fine. Does anyone have an idea for cutting the slots better? The belt slots I punched eaxh end with my 5/16 maxi punch then layed my ruler along the top and bottom to cut out. Didn't go good. Bottom slot I didn't have a 1/2 punch for ends so I had to trace ot out, make my straight cuts then havk, chisel, cuss and carve to get out the rounded ends. Went even worse. Super hosed that one. Open to ideas. I'm not sure if a strap punch will go through multiple layers without deforming the top. Or do you punch from back side?

Adapter 1.jpg

adapter 2.jpg

adapter 3.jpg

Also if I had it to do over I would make the main slot narrower and the belt slots a little narrower as well.

adapter 4.jpg

As for cutting the slots. My only suggestion is to get a bag/oblong punch. IF You layout the lines for the slots you can use a 3/4 in bag punch to cut any length slot you want. IF ya get what I mean. As to stitching I couldn't get the ask work down so I changed to chisels. Ta. Matt.

Looks good on the pretty side....I am climbing the same hill as you in that respect with my work too. I can nail the visible side but the blind side hasn't turned out perfect once.....good thing it isn't visible or else it'd really bug me.

How do you like the way the gun rides now? I have several knives and on my bigger blades, I prefer it to ride in a dangler.

Edited by battlemunky

3 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

As for cutting the slots. My only suggestion is to get a bag/oblong punch. IF You layout the lines for the slots you can use a 3/4 in bag punch to cut any length slot you want.

I saw those, where can I find an oblong punch that is wider, say a 1/4 or 1/2 inch instead of the 1/8 or smaller I see mostly?

3 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

As to stitching I couldn't get the ask work down so I changed to chisels.

I'm using a hybrid, I use the chisels to mark my holes then finish off with an awl. I don't pound all the way through with the chisels because it was opening my holes up too much and deforming the leather on my two layers. I should probably go back to just hammering through until I get better with my awl.

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

How do you like the way the gun rides now? I have several knives and on my bigger blades, I prefer it to ride in a dangler.

It rides good. I haven't got to range test it yet but it feels great. Holds it down low enough I can clear that long 8" barrel without looking like the Joker and pulling it above my head to draw it, lol.

Tandy has bag/oblong punches I use for belt slots. And my belts are 10 oz. IF chisels making to big of hole maybe use a bigger thread.