Sanch

"TEST" couple of my sharp things

Okay so this is a test of whether or not I can post pictures now. This is a picture of my latest versions of a head knife. They are L6 Steel. The larger of the two has hand laid Micarta scales, the smaller one has Bocote scales and mosaic pins.

226201782148.jpg

Looking GOOD! ...... (Obligatory 70's reference for the day. ) ,,,,, If you need someone to  beta test one I'm open! :yeah:   

7 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

Looking GOOD! ...... (Obligatory 70's reference for the day. ) ,,,,, If you need someone to  beta test one I'm open! :yeah:   

lol! I am well beyond the beta testing stage these are my personal knives I will never make any for production only onesies and twosies here and there!

On 3/27/2017 at 5:41 PM, Sanch said:

lol! I am well beyond the beta testing stage these are my personal knives I will never make any for production only onesies and twosies here and there!

Can't blame a guy for trying! 

Don't blame you one bit!

Looking good, what brand of L6 did you get?

1 hour ago, MADMAX22 said:

Looking good, what brand of L6 did you get?

can't say but the sawmill confirmed the blade manufacturer and the steel. it is L6 or 15n20. From what I'm being told and from my research  on the blades that I'm using  it's more than likely L6 Heat Treating and tempering process is fairly close to the same and I have yet to have a blade fail with the process that I use so I'm satisfied

Edited by Sanch

Just now, Sanch said:

can't say but the sawmill confirmed the blade manufacturer and they steel. it is L6 or 15n20. the Heat Treating and tempering process is fairly close to the same and I have yet to have a blade fail with the process that I use

Sounds good I was just curious. There are only two or three "recipes" for L6 and the two big ones had slightly different heat treat but they were pretty close. Either L6 or 15n20 would make a good head knife with L6 obviously being the tougher one. 

Atleast you dont have to forge it because L6 is a bugger to forge ecspecially when all ya got are 3"x1/2" bars. 

7 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

Sounds good I was just curious. There are only two or three "recipes" for L6 and the two big ones had slightly different heat treat but they were pretty close. Either L6 or 15n20 would make a good head knife with L6 obviously being the tougher one. 

Atleast you dont have to forge it because L6 is a bugger to forge ecspecially when all ya got are 3"x1/2" bars. 

I made a 7 layer billit with some 1084 at 2"wide x 3" long  and forge welded it successfully. you sir are correct it is a pita  hand forging it is WORK.