slipangle

Shop made burnishers for Dremel ~ Ltd. Ed.

A bit of a preamble if I may.

A couple of years ago I made two of my custom awl hafts out of a piece of Lignum Vitae i had had for over thirty years. And two large drill press burnishers. I kind of wish I had kept one of the awls,  as it tuned out the remaining piece of this rare wood I also had was nice,  but not quite like this one. Genuine lignum vitae, (the tree of life) is pretty much non-existent these days. And the old growth wood, like this awl haft and these burnishers are made of, is exceeding rare. 

LV%20awl%202-1_zpsbl9s5zw8.jpg

I had two strips of wood left over from that project. One 8 inches long and 1/2 inch square. Not sure what I can do with that. Maybe make a pointer. :>  The other small billet was about 7/8 inch square. So I finally decided to get around to turning it into something,  so to speak. Hence,  these burnishers. A few people inquired back then if I also did burnishers for a Dremel and at the time I wasn't. And then many other projects later,  I'm back to give this a try, and hopefully make something beautiful and useful. I may get one more out of what's left in my lathe chuck. But essentially, what you see here is it. Which is why I'm referring to these as being limited edition. This beautiful golden, yellow, green wood is gone. 

I could certainly make these out of cocobolo,  as many others do. I have loads of that. And I may in the future. But I decided to take this last small piece of this scarce wood and make some nice tools for a few folks that might be as much into the beauty of a nice tool as they are of its utility. 

Any of you here that might be lucky enough to have worked with this amazing wood will know what I mean when I say this wood is a distinct please to work with. Especially on a lathe. I rough out a cylinder on my wood lathe,  but then do the final turning on my metal lathe. This extremely heavy, dense and tight grained wood cuts almost like a hard wax. Turning it with sharp cutters is magical.  It takes an amazing polish like no other wood and it gives off a very pleasant and distinctive woody floral scent when you cut it. And when you burnish with it,  for a while at least. Nothing else smells like lignum vitae. It's intoxicating. And while I think you could burnish edges well with just about any hardwood, this wood makes for a burnishing material that's a cut above. Being naturally very high in oils , it was used in ships and submarines as bearings for their large propeller shafts, its natural lubricity and imperviousness to water making it ideal for the purpose. It has an almost waxy feeling to it, and thus,  burnishes very well. Some will remember it is what the old Tandy and Osborne ring burnishers were made of. 

Anyway, forgive my too-long screed. I've made four of these,  which I'll identify by number. And please refer to the number when inquiring about one. I didn't make these to any set pattern or dimension. Just concentrated on the general fun of creating these and then tried to makes the slots what I thought looked good for various thicknesses of leather. But in general, I designed these for smaller work. Although I think one could do a holster in 7/8 ounce in some of these larger slots.

The shafts are 1/8 inch tool steel drill rods. Two of these have longer shafts,  two a bit shorter. My Dremel is the older flex shaft with hand piece type...as is my Foredom... and my hand pieces will accept a longer shaft,  as they're hollow. But on a motor-in-handle type Dremel, as is common today, I'm not sure if there is a stop for the shaft. Probably so. So please be aware of this. These should ideally be used up close to the chuck, to lessen potential flex as well as less strain on the motor, and for better control as well. 

I'll describe to the best of my ability the dimensions of each of these. All have 3 grooves of varying widths and end treatment which features a button for holes, etc.  But each is a little different. 

If you are interested in one, please send me a personal message. And which number you are inquiring about. First come,  etc. Coming up with a price on these was tough. I'm asking a lot for them. Relatively. Especially when compared with the cheap Chinese made burnishers so prevalent these days, made of who knows what kind of unfortunate Southeast Asia tropical wood. But as you can tell,  I consider these in a different light. 

$36 each... plus 2 dollars shipping. USA only.  I accept Pay Pal, friends & family type payment only,  thanks.

Any questions, please let me know,and  thanks. 

Burnishers -1.JPG

Edited by slipangle

1 1/16 long. 3/4 diameter. Slots are; 7/32nds. 3/16ths, 3/32nds. With a radiused shoulder on the end and a 1/4 inch hole button on the end.

Burnisher 1-1.JPG

Burnisher 1-2.JPG

1 1/8 long. Slots are 1/4,  3/16 and 1/8, roughly. With a 3/8 end button. Shaft is 5/8 long. 1/8 diameter.

Burnisher 2-1.JPG

Burnisher 2-2.JPG

1 & 1/4 long. First wide slot has a sort of a flat profile,  which I like for some things. It is 1/4 wide. Next slot is roughly 3/16, and third is 1/8.  First shoulder is 9/16. End button diameter is 5/16.  This burnisher would be suitable for slightly larger work.

Burnisher 3-1.JPG

Burnisher 3-2.JPG

1 1/8 long. Slots are, 3/16,  5/32nds, and 1/8. End button is 5/16 and 3/16.

Burnisher 4-1.JPG

Burnisher 4-2.JPG

Thanks for looking. Slip.

Burnishers -2.JPG

I will take #4 please.

Thank you both,

PM sent, Bikermutt.  I will send you one now, Geargarcon.

Slip

No's 1 and 4 are sold, pending.  Thank you.

Numbers 4 and 3 are sold, thanks. And # 1 is still pending.

number two still available .

Number 2 sold/pending. Thank you. 

I received mine today and boy is it cute. It was lovingly packaged and even came with a thank you. I doubt I will get to even test during the weekend, but I am looking forward to using it.

Thanks.

Sorry to be a spoiler but $36.00? I guess I'm just an old farm boy with lots of equipment in the shop but this is something I made up in the shop in half an hour and  $2.00 cost and my time. If you can do the leather work I've seen on this site I'm sure everyone on this site can figure this out.

4 hours ago, grumpyold said:

Sorry to be a spoiler but $36.00? I guess I'm just an old farm boy with lots of equipment in the shop but this is something I made up in the shop in half an hour and  $2.00 cost and my time. If you can do the leather work I've seen on this site I'm sure everyone on this site can figure this out.

We don't all have access to a lathe. Experience with a lathe is worth a little bit. A guy needs a little bit of money just to make it worth his while.

All that being said, I can build a whole house. I'm a great carpenter\tradesman. But, I don't have the tools or knowledge to make the furnishings for it.

I was glad to see a nice one off piece being made available, by another Craftsman (who is also a member here).

And I was so happy, I sent an even 40 for it.

It's not always about how cheap someone can do something.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

We don't all have access to a lathe. Experience with a lathe is worth a little bit. A guy needs a little bit of money just to make it worth his while.

All that being said, I can build a whole house. I'm a great carpenter\tradesman. But, I don't have the tools or knowledge to make the furnishings for it.

I was glad to see a nice one off piece being made available, by another Craftsman (who is also a member here).

And I was so happy, I sent an even 40 for it.

It's not always about how cheap someone can do something.

Yep. I have a saw, a sawzall,and a palm sander. It does kind of get on my neck when someone asks about where to get this or that and some jumps in. Just put in on your lathe the get out your mig welder and finish off with a plasma cutter. I started doing leather to work with leather. I dont want to be a tool builder,metalworker,woodworker. Sorry for the hijack. Also if people DO want to do all those things more power to them its just not what i want to do.

Well,  I'll be the first to admit that these aint cheap.  And not for everyone,  to be sure. 

I would be curious what wood you used, grumpyold.  And what you used for the shank,  etc. I could certainly whip up a burnisher quickly, with a piece of hardwood and a piece of cold rolled steel rod,  and I'm pretty sure it would work OK.  But that was not my only aim here.

You think these are expensive,  you should check out my awl hafts!  :>

Awl haft #10-1.JPG

awl haft #11-2.JPG

Wow didn't mean to ruffle feathers.

Edited by grumpyold
spelling

My feathers be not ruffled.

I just enjoy some quality and don't mind paying for it. When I can afford it.

Thanks for the lesson, grumpy old.  And all of the ...reality. 

This thread is about something else entirely.  Perhaps you'd care to start your own,  complete with instructions. It would be appreciated.

Edited by slipangle

1 hour ago, slipangle said:

Thanks for the lesson, grumpy old.  And all of the ...reality. 

This thread is about something else entirely.  Perhaps you'd care to start your own,  complete with instructions. It would be appreciated.

Here's a little more reality, this is a site for the exchange of thoughts, instruction, and a host of techniques pertaining to leather crafting. I do not believe it is meant to be a free source to sell your wears. If you have a web site you many post a http to redirect to that site if you so wish, I believe is allowed. If member wishes to list used tools they no longer require that's fine it's a one time thing. You sir along with a number of other are showing new items that you are manufacturing and using the site to sell said items without paying this site for the privilege of doing so.
And yes this thread is about something else entirely, you using it as a venue to sell your stuff on the cheap.
Like Dwight has posted in another topic this site is becoming a catalog.
What I posted is by far better suited to the intent of this site then free ads.
Maybe one of the moderators would like to step in.

Edited by grumpyold

Grumpyold, 

why don't you post what you charge for your products and let us tell you they cost to much.

31 minutes ago, Thornton said:

Grumpyold, 

why don't you post what you charge for your products and let us tell you they cost to much.

Well that's going to be a little hard to do because this is a hobby and I don't sell anything. If some one takes a shine to something I've made they can have it.
But if you want to buy a heifer or steer.... market price.
Maybe you should be asking slipangle if after using this site to sell $144 of his product whether he pushed the donate button as a form of thanks for using the site for free marketing. 
Maybe some posters on this site should be reviewing the terms of use for the site, 'cause I don't recall anything that said "Feel free to market your business or products on our dime."

Edited by grumpyold

Well,

...better check your facts. There is a whole sub section of this site called "marketplace" , devoted to selling all manner of things. Open to all members. Currently, it has over 11,000 posts. Folks selling anything from books to leather goods, services, machines and hand tools. 

The terms of use of the marketplace are clear. Read them . I have. This is my first for sale post this year. 

Its quite clear you don't think my tools listed here are worth what I'm asking for them. Point taken. 

I notice it doesn't say "contributing member" below your user name either.  So it couldnt very well be your dime, could it? 

Edited by slipangle

I'm hesitant to further engage as you seem to be real upset for some reason, but I'll only add that I am a leather worker too. But I'm not that good at it so I haven't as yet posted any of the things I've made in the show off section.  Matter of fact I just made my first holster. But it didn't come out that well so I wouldn't show it off. Maybe I will the next one. 

I'm not that proud of my leather work, so far. But I think I can make a pretty fair tool. I started out making my first awl haft for my own use. And my first burnisher. Then figured that maybe some fellow members on this forum might be interested in owning a hand made tool, so posted some here. And sell one or two now and again. If you think this is some business venture with which I'm flooding the forum only for my own gain, guess again. I'll bet I average about five bucks an hour on my awl hafts. Probably less. I put a lot into them. And ain't doing it for the money. As a retired person, it adds a little pocket money so I can buy a side now and again, or something else. 

Im not sure why you have such an axe to grind on this. I'm doing my best to maintain a civil tongue. But your ranting , though your every right I guess, is getting old.  And annoying.

All these burnishers are sold, so I'll move on.

Edited by slipangle

If you ever make more of these beautiful burnishers I would love to see them. Funds are a little tight at the moment so I hesitated and now they are gone. $36 is a very reasonable price for the nature of the product and I love seeing tools and supplies for sale on this forum so I can purchase from another craftsman. 

Edited by Sceaden