Jump to content
slipangle

Shop made burnishers for Dremel ~ Ltd. Ed.

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, slipangle said:

I'm hesitant to further engage as you seem to be real upset for some reason, but I'll only add that I am a leather worker too. But I'm not that good at it so I haven't as yet posted any of the things I've made in the show off section.  Matter of fact I just made my first holster. But it didn't come out that well so I wouldn't show it off. Maybe I will the next one. 

I'm not that proud of my leather work, so far. But I think I can make a pretty fair tool. I started out making my first awl haft for my own use. And my first burnisher. Then figured that maybe some fellow members on this forum might be interested in owning a hand made tool, so posted some here. And sell one or two now and again. If you think this is some business venture with which I'm flooding the forum only for my own gain, guess again. I'll bet I average about five bucks an hour on my awl hafts. Probably less. I put a lot into them. And ain't doing it for the money. As a retired person, it adds a little pocket money so I can buy a side now and again, or something else. 

Im not sure why you have such an axe to grind on this. I'm doing my best to maintain a civil tongue. But your ranting , though your every right I guess, is getting old.  And annoying.

All these burnishers are sold, so I'll move on.

Please don't let this one experience sour you to the site.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, grumpyold said:

Well that's going to be a little hard to do because this is a hobby and I don't sell anything. If some one takes a shine to something I've made they can have it.
But if you want to buy a heifer or steer.... market price.
Maybe you should be asking slipangle if after using this site to sell $144 of his product whether he pushed the donate button as a form of thanks for using the site for free marketing. 
Maybe some posters on this site should be reviewing the terms of use for the site, 'cause I don't recall anything that said "Feel free to market your business or products on our dime."

No offense intended here grumpyold but if you aren't in the business of making money from the leather goods, or associated items, that you make you should not be commenting on the products and pricing of those who do.  That is kind of like giving a review of a product that you actually never purchased or even used and hammering it the entire time; it just ain't right.  There are several of us who make money doing this at various levels and the first thing that came to mind when I saw your first post to tell you to butt out, but I held my tongue to see what others would say.  You are correct that this community is for the exchange of information and sharing of knowledge but it is also open to those who have things that they want to sell or buy as long as they follow the rules and conduct that business in the right place; we have seen several of these over time and that isn't about to change anytime soon.

We all know that materials cost different prices but for a person who actually has the refined skills and techniques to make a highly valuable and upscale version of an item is something that deserves to be rewarded so, if a person wants to just give things away for a couple bucks over cost or they are a with a higher skill set that produces quality works with high-quality materials they can charge what they think is fair.  The market will determine if the price is too high and, from this example, it appears that it was quite acceptable to many and they weren't opposed to paying for the skills and quality that went into the product.  I am sure that you may sell a wallet for around $15 to $20 whereas I will sell something similar for around $65+; my pricing is based on my materials (which don't come from low end suppliers) and the skill, expertise, and techniques that go into making it (over 40 years of experience in this trade) while balancing it with intelligent pricing strategies and I don't have any problems selling at this price because the quality of craftsmanship and materials is appreciated by those who become my clients.  Just the way business works and it always has.

I think it is only fair to say here that what a person sells their products for is not for anyone else to question or attempt to break down, especially if they aren't conducting business at the same level as those who are being "questioned" about their pricing.  Again, no intention to offend but there is a time and place for comments and yours was out of place here on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Please don't let this one experience sour you to the site.

 

Nah,  It won't. Thanks Matt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slipangle said:

Nah,  It won't. Thanks Matt. 

So, how much is one of those awl handles? Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

No offense intended here grumpyold but if you aren't in the business of making money from the leather goods, or associated items, that you make you should not be commenting on the products and pricing of those who do.  That is kind of like giving a review of a product that you actually never purchased or even used and hammering it the entire time; it just ain't right.  There are several of us who make money doing this at various levels and the first thing that came to mind when I saw your first post to tell you to butt out, but I held my tongue to see what others would say.  You are correct that this community is for the exchange of information and sharing of knowledge but it is also open to those who have things that they want to sell or buy as long as they follow the rules and conduct that business in the right place; we have seen several of these over time and that isn't about to change anytime soon.

We all know that materials cost different prices but for a person who actually has the refined skills and techniques to make a highly valuable and upscale version of an item is something that deserves to be rewarded so, if a person wants to just give things away for a couple bucks over cost or they are a with a higher skill set that produces quality works with high-quality materials they can charge what they think is fair.  The market will determine if the price is too high and, from this example, it appears that it was quite acceptable to many and they weren't opposed to paying for the skills and quality that went into the product.  I am sure that you may sell a wallet for around $15 to $20 whereas I will sell something similar for around $65+; my pricing is based on my materials (which don't come from low end suppliers) and the skill, expertise, and techniques that go into making it (over 40 years of experience in this trade) while balancing it with intelligent pricing strategies and I don't have any problems selling at this price because the quality of craftsmanship and materials is appreciated by those who become my clients.  Just the way business works and it always has.

I think it is only fair to say here that what a person sells their products for is not for anyone else to question or attempt to break down, especially if they aren't conducting business at the same level as those who are being "questioned" about their pricing.  Again, no intention to offend but there is a time and place for comments and yours was out of place here on this one.

I will fully admit that I did lose my cool and I’m sorry for that. If you review my first post, I will state that I could have done a better job of making my point, and it was not proper for me to question the price Slipangle felt would be fair and cover his expenses and time. It may have served me better if I would have posted that I’ve made these for my own use and here’s what I did and it may save others a few bucks. That said, I did when I originally posted, and still do truly believe anyone on this site can make something of this sort with simple hand tools. Would it be as well done, who knows, but I’m sure it would serve the purpose.
I think what set me off, and I’m not condoning my flip out, was that those who posted after my original post  seemed to feel that I had insulted, their product, or their abilities because they chose to purchase rather than make. That was not my intent and I think they read way more into my post then were there. A simple statement that they just didn’t believe they have the equipment to attempt something like this would have sufficed. I felt like because my grandfather, father and I have over the years collected a large amount of equipment to operate cattle farm, that I was being told that I had somehow  insulted others abilities and lack of equipment. My original post may have been badly thought out, and worded but I have no idea where that would have come from, and yes it set me off.
Once again sorry for, yes my rant, and any offence to other posters. When I posted I seemed to have ruffled some feathers I should have had the common sense to walk away.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, grumpyold said:

I will fully admit that I did lose my cool and I’m sorry for that. If you review my first post, I will state that I could have done a better job of making my point, and it was not proper for me to question the price Slipangle felt would be fair and cover his expenses and time. It may have served me better if I would have posted that I’ve made these for my own use and here’s what I did and it may save others a few bucks. That said, I did when I originally posted, and still do truly believe anyone on this site can make something of this sort with simple hand tools. Would it be as well done, who knows, but I’m sure it would serve the purpose.
I think what set me off, and I’m not condoning my flip out, was that those who posted after my original post  seemed to feel that I had insulted, their product, or their abilities because they chose to purchase rather than make. That was not my intent and I think they read way more into my post then were there. A simple statement that they just didn’t believe they have the equipment to attempt something like this would have sufficed. I felt like because my grandfather, father and I have over the years collected a large amount of equipment to operate cattle farm, that I was being told that I had somehow  insulted others abilities and lack of equipment. My original post may have been badly thought out, and worded but I have no idea where that would have come from, and yes it set me off.
Once again sorry for, yes my rant, and any offence to other posters. When I posted I seemed to have ruffled some feathers I should have had the common sense to walk away.
 

I hear a backup beeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grumpyold said:

I will fully admit that I did lose my cool and I’m sorry for that. If you review my first post, I will state that I could have done a better job of making my point, and it was not proper for me to question the price Slipangle felt would be fair and cover his expenses and time. It may have served me better if I would have posted that I’ve made these for my own use and here’s what I did and it may save others a few bucks. That said, I did when I originally posted, and still do truly believe anyone on this site can make something of this sort with simple hand tools. Would it be as well done, who knows, but I’m sure it would serve the purpose.
I think what set me off, and I’m not condoning my flip out, was that those who posted after my original post  seemed to feel that I had insulted, their product, or their abilities because they chose to purchase rather than make. That was not my intent and I think they read way more into my post then were there. A simple statement that they just didn’t believe they have the equipment to attempt something like this would have sufficed. I felt like because my grandfather, father and I have over the years collected a large amount of equipment to operate cattle farm, that I was being told that I had somehow  insulted others abilities and lack of equipment. My original post may have been badly thought out, and worded but I have no idea where that would have come from, and yes it set me off.
Once again sorry for, yes my rant, and any offence to other posters. When I posted I seemed to have ruffled some feathers I should have had the common sense to walk away.
 

For the record, I was not offended. 

I thought you may have peed a little close to the house, but once in awhile that can be overlooked.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am incredibly excited about this tool and I can't wait to receive it.

Slipangle, thank you so much for posting your custom, one of a kind creations in the market place on this forum.  It's a treat for leather hobbyists like myself (who come here on a regular basis to learn and grow in the craft) to have access to great products like yours.  I would never be able to find anything like this if I just went to the local Tandy store.

Trying new and unique toys like this and new processes I discover on this forum is what keeps this craft constantly exciting and fresh.    And that in turn is what keeps me coming back to the site.

So again, thank you!

gg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP please disregard the negative comments... if you ever make some more, just send me a PM and I will buy one as well. at 36 USD its really good value ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grumpyold said:

I will fully admit that I did lose my cool and I’m sorry for that. If you review my first post, I will state that I could have done a better job of making my point, and it was not proper for me to question the price Slipangle felt would be fair and cover his expenses and time. It may have served me better if I would have posted that I’ve made these for my own use and here’s what I did and it may save others a few bucks. That said, I did when I originally posted, and still do truly believe anyone on this site can make something of this sort with simple hand tools. Would it be as well done, who knows, but I’m sure it would serve the purpose.
I think what set me off, and I’m not condoning my flip out, was that those who posted after my original post  seemed to feel that I had insulted, their product, or their abilities because they chose to purchase rather than make. That was not my intent and I think they read way more into my post then were there. A simple statement that they just didn’t believe they have the equipment to attempt something like this would have sufficed. I felt like because my grandfather, father and I have over the years collected a large amount of equipment to operate cattle farm, that I was being told that I had somehow  insulted others abilities and lack of equipment. My original post may have been badly thought out, and worded but I have no idea where that would have come from, and yes it set me off.
Once again sorry for, yes my rant, and any offence to other posters. When I posted I seemed to have ruffled some feathers I should have had the common sense to walk away.
 

What it comes down to is you had no reason or right questioning what he wants to charge for something. It is absolutely none of your business and you should have never posted anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought they were lovely and well priced given the materials and finish.   Inspired me to look around for something to make my own that's a little nicer than a hunk of aluminum.

Kudos for not racing to the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, slipangle said:

Nah,  It won't. Thanks Matt. 

And you just keep right on posting these beautiful things here; this is the marketplace for such things and it ain't like you are posting an entire website worth of merchandise.  They are indeed beautiful and well worth what you have asked for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Grumpyold, for chiming back in. I want you to know I appreciate it.

You're absolutely right that anybody can make a burnisher, of course. Heck, I used to burnish my edges with an old , well worn cobbler's tool. Still do sometimes. And it works.  As you can tell, I just wanted to try to make some "fancy" ones.

To tell the truth, I had pretty much decided not to make these Dremel burnishers last year after I sold two larger drill press versions. First because I figured that for what I'd have to charge for them, I almost felt guilty. Like I said, I think they're kind of expensive too. And second,  I kind of thought this was sort of a mundane use for such rare wood. And then it hit me. I'd better make something out of these small pieces, while I can.  One of my moderate fears from time to time is that I'll croak and all this wood will still be sitting here...for my wife to deal with. Perish the thought. So, burnishers it is, for now. And a few awl handles. 

So, thank you all for the kind words, and enthusiasm for these tools. And....my wife thanks you too. :>

Edited by slipangle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slipangle you have no reason to thank me I'm the one who jumped of the cliff without a parachute. Your workmanship was never in question, your product is the best I've seen. This is not an excuse for  my behaver but when a USA based seller tells us price USD it's usually  a heart attack for most of us. At $36.00 USD in Canada that's ball park $50-60 with shipping. Thank you for accepting my apology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont normally post, but the burnishers look lovely and well worth the money.

I dont understand why some of you are getting so upset either buy one or dont it is that simple. If you can make your own wow I am impressed I cant so I have to rely on other peoples skill.  I am a professional leatherworker and lovely individual tools make the job that much nicer especially when they are made with care and not a mass produced item.

Like Sceaden I love that this forum has the For sale option and look forward to seeing and sometimes purchasing items like this here.

 

Edited by JLD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my other hobbies is luthiery; I've been building electric guitars, from scratch, for about ten years.

IMG_0019_zpsj9jtac5s.jpg

 

I needed a burnisher, and since I've got a nice supply of exotic woods, and my son has a couple nice lathes in our garage from his pen-making days, I figured I'd whip one up.

So...couple hours later, I threw that one away and tried again. Couple hours later...threw another one away.

Finally got one that *almost* worked, after FIVE attempts; then bought one made by a pro. If I'd seen these first, I'd have HAPPILY paid the asking price for one. If we price things based on the cost of raw materials and time, and exclude skill and experience, nobody here would ever sell a holster for more than $30, would they?

 

Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, larry1096 said:

One of my other hobbies is luthiery; I've been building electric guitars, from scratch, for about ten years.

IMG_0019_zpsj9jtac5s.jpg

 

I needed a burnisher, and since I've got a nice supply of exotic woods, and my son has a couple nice lathes in our garage from his pen-making days, I figured I'd whip one up.

So...couple hours later, I threw that one away and tried again. Couple hours later...threw another one away.

Finally got one that *almost* worked, after FIVE attempts; then bought one made by a pro. If I'd seen these first, I'd have HAPPILY paid the asking price for one. If we price things based on the cost of raw materials and time, and exclude skill and experience, nobody here would ever sell a holster for more than $30, would they?

 

Larry

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice guitar, Larry,

I'm just curious,  as a woodworker with the obvious skills you have,  how did the five attempts at a burnisher fail?

Like I say,  just curious.

Thx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2017 at 7:17 AM, slipangle said:

Well,  I'll be the first to admit that these aint cheap.  And not for everyone,  to be sure. 

I would be curious what wood you used, grumpyold.  And what you used for the shank,  etc. I could certainly whip up a burnisher quickly, with a piece of hardwood and a piece of cold rolled steel rod,  and I'm pretty sure it would work OK.  But that was not my only aim here.

You think these are expensive,  you should check out my awl hafts!  :>

Awl haft #10-1.JPG

awl haft #11-2.JPG

Please let me know when you will be doing more awl hafts. I'm in the market for one or two. I'm in the process of upgrading my tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

To tell the truth, I had pretty much decided not to make these Dremel burnishers last year after I sold two larger drill press versions. First because I figured that for what I'd have to charge for them, I almost felt guilty. Like I said, I think they're kind of expensive too. And second,  I kind of thought this was sort of a mundane use for such rare wood. And then it hit me. I'd better make something out of these small pieces, while I can.  One of my moderate fears from time to time is that I'll croak and all this wood will still be sitting here...for my wife to deal with. Perish the thought. So, burnishers it is, for now. And a few awl handles. 

So, thank you all for the kind words, and enthusiasm for these tools. And....my wife thanks you too. :>

For someone like me who has a Dremel tool but no drill press, the little burnisher is the best tool for the job and, as many others have said, I don't think it is overpriced for the quality of product and usefulness of it.  Never assume no one will want something you make.  If you make it well, they will buy.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

If you ever make more of these beautiful burnishers I would love to see them. Funds are a little tight at the moment so I hesitated and now they are gone. $36 is a very reasonable price for the nature of the product and I love seeing tools and supplies for sale on this forum so I can purchase from another craftsman. 

Hi Sceaden,

You are next in line on this wanted list so thought I'd run this one by you first. Thing is, this one is quite small and probably more suited to things like wallets and such. I will be making some larger ones though.  But this is the last piece of my really good lignum vitae. Even better than the LV than I made the four burnishers in my for sale thread.  Though that is nice stuff too,  this yellowish green stuff is just a cut above, IMO. I only had a small chunk of this left,  hence the small size. 

Anyway,  no obligation of course.  If you can use this one,  let me know.  If not,  I can show it to the next person who inquired.  This one is 3/4 diameter, about 7/8 long overall,  and the grooves are 3/16, 1/8 and 1/16,  approximately.  End button is 3/16 diameter.  Shank is 1/8 diameter and 11/16 long.

$37 shipped if interested.  Thank you for you patience.

Scott

LV burn 2-1.JPG

 

If you ever make more of these beautiful burnishers I would love to see them. Funds are a little tight at the moment so I hesitated and now they are gone. $36 is a very reasonable price for the nature of the product and I love seeing tools and supplies for sale on this forum so I can purchase from another craftsman. 

 

LV burn 2-2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Hi Sceaden,

You are next in line on this wanted list so thought I'd run this one by you first. Thing is, this one is quite small and probably more suited to things like wallets and such. I will be making some larger ones though.  But this is the last piece of my really good lignum vitae. Even better than the LV than I made the four burnishers in my for sale thread.  Though that is nice stuff too,  this yellowish green stuff is just a cut above, IMO. I only had a small chunk of this left,  hence the small size. 

Anyway,  no obligation of course.  If you can use this one,  let me know.  If not,  I can show it to the next person who inquired.  This one is 3/4 diameter, about 7/8 long overall,  and the grooves are 3/16, 1/8 and 1/16,  approximately.  End button is 3/16 diameter.  Shank is 1/8 diameter and 11/16 long.

$37 shipped if interested.  Thank you for you patience.

Scott

LV burn 2-1.JPG

 

LV burn 2-2.JPG

What do you mean better??!? Haha

I still want an awl handle.

Edited by bikermutt07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take this if Sceaden does not please Scott. I'm starting on Wallets soon and this will be perfect.

Regards,

Chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much! I just got it today and it is awesome. Beautiful wood, perfectly balanced, and such a lovely smell. It was shipped promptly, packaged very well, and included a handwritten note of instructions for best practices. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sceaden said:

Thank you so much! I just got it today and it is awesome. Beautiful wood, perfectly balanced, and such a lovely smell. It was shipped promptly, packaged very well, and included a handwritten note of instructions for best practices. 

 

Welcome to the 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...