Wulfing

soldering iron edge creaser question

I've just ordered several edge creasing attachments for a soldering iron (Single edge,1,2,3 and 4 mm gap attachments)

Im going to use them to create a crease and lip on the fine edge of my belts and maybe on wallets and other projects too. 

Do I need a 30 watt or 60 watt soldering iron??? Would overheating it cause damage?

Also would you do this type of hot crease after dying or before?

I know overheating will brand the leather and that is not usually what you want.  From the research I have done you want it hot enough to be to hot to hold hand on but not so hot to burn you. But I am just starting to think about hot creasing myself. 

You can't run the soldering iron on full effect, you need a temp or voltage regulator attached somehow unless it's already built in to the iron.

You need a PID with a thermocouple or a pulsating on/off switch like a Robotemp, which is what Campbell-Randall uses on their unit. I don't think the temperature controlled soldering irons go low enough.

I know this topic is a couple of years old, but I am thinking about getting an electric leather edge creaser, but they are so expensive.  Is there any reason I could not attach a temperature control unit to a soldering iron?  You can get a temp control unit for soldering irons on Amazon for about $25.  Has anyone tried it?

6 hours ago, TsStudioLeather said:

I know this topic is a couple of years old, but I am thinking about getting an electric leather edge creaser, but they are so expensive.  Is there any reason I could not attach a temperature control unit to a soldering iron?  You can get a temp control unit for soldering irons on Amazon for about $25.  Has anyone tried it?

Light dimmer switch and a 60 watt and a 80 watt soldering iron is all I've been using for the last 25 maybe 30 years now. I generally shape up the tips to whatever shape I want. The gouge out shape allows me to run the pressure up one side than back again over on the other side then one or so up the middle does the trick. You need to give the tips a polish on a rag wheel now and again about every 100 or so belts or so. Here are some pics that all look a bit messy but I can assure the end products are not.

I like the ones that have a light on them as they show brighter and dimmer along as the dial is rotated.

DSC04373_resize.JPG

This shows how the grooved iron is used

DSC04374_resize.JPG

The rag polishing wheel that is used with the tripoli polish sticks

DSC08037_resize.JPG

Another tip showing how I tidy up holes and slots etc-

DSC06984resize.jpg

A finish belt after edging and polish

DSC08052_resize.JPG

@RockyAussie That Sir is a beautiful belt. And a great idea. Thank you for sharing.

Do you make your tips from brass or another metal? If you don't mind my asking. 

8 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

@RockyAussie That Sir is a beautiful belt. And a great idea. Thank you for sharing.

Do you make your tips from brass or another metal? If you don't mind my asking. 

I often make up shapes from brass but you can do a lot with the spare copper tips you normally get with the soldering iron. The one shaped like a flat blade screwdriver can be shortened and the tip bent back a bit to then take a wide groove on the face. Once yo have a shape sorted out its best to take out a little flat where the screw holds it in in order that screw can hold it more securely from twisting when applying side pressures.

15 minutes ago, Brianm77 said:

Rocky that is a pretty good idea!!  I like it

Yea I get some occasionally:huh: glad you like it.