motocouture

Getting back into Braiding - Dog Leash

Getting back into braiding and leatherwork after a long time away from it.  Made a leash for my brother and his red heeler (quality tested by my Dobie). Kangaroo leather six-strand round plait, over a paracord core, loops back-spliced in, and the clip end loop braided over again to give a replaceable wear area. 

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

Thanks venator! The Bruce Grant encyclopedia has been immensely helpful...

Looks great.  Nice work.

Thanks sofaspud and cseeger for the kind words!

He's been my buddy for nearly ten years now

10 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

That's some nice braiding! Any good resources we could lookup to learn how?

Thanks! I rely heavily on two authors, Ron Edwards (photo below of one of his books), and Bruce Grant, with his encyclopedia of braiding. I couldn't find a lot specifically on the back-splicing piece, other than a blog or two, so that I just kinda muddled through. And of course, this forum is great, too.

I got the lace from y-knot lace, good quality and colors. Didn't bevel the lace for this one, but on subsequent projects, I am beveling using a box cutter blade jammed into a block of wood with a paint stick glued on as a guide :)

5 hours ago, Dave Richardson said:

Really nice, love the colors. Nice looking leash too.

Thanks, Dave!

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

I love Bruce grants encyclopedia. I think if anyone wants to start to learn how to braid they should pick that up. 

Ron Edwards is great too, I have a few of  his whip making books. I use paracord for my braiding and plaiting but I mY have to invest in lace or kangaroo, I've been wanting to make a leather whip haha. The lead looks great motocouture

Very nice braiding. Love it!

22 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

I love Bruce grants encyclopedia. I think if anyone wants to start to learn how to braid they should pick that up. 

Ron Edwards is great too, I have a few of  his whip making books. I use paracord for my braiding and plaiting but I mY have to invest in lace or kangaroo, I've been wanting to make a leather whip haha. The lead looks great motocouture

I say go for it! Life is too short not to make a whip : )

14 hours ago, Rohn said:

Very nice braiding. Love it!

Thank you Rohn, much appreciated!

I want to make a show dog leash. How do you join the loop for the handle so it looks so nice like yours?