MrLentz

Needle touching right side of holster plate slot on cobra 4

Hello,

As I continue to set up and use my new Cobra 4 sewing machine I have been speaking with the Leather Machine Co. to figure out a strange issue. I thought I would also put it up on here in case others have had the same problem, or in case we find a good solution, in which case - we can all benefit!

Upon installing either the stirrup plate or holster plate, it is apparent that the needle comes down very close to the right hand side of the slot. On the holster plate the needle pretty much touches the right side of the slot. This is with the plate installed as far to the right as possible. In the instructions it says to have the needle more to the left side of the slot when using any of the plates. Basically a business card thickness between the left side of the slot and needle is necessary. If it is in the center or to the right of center you risk skipped stitches or frayed thread.

- So far they have sent me out a new needle clamp that screws up into the needle bar. The new clamp did not change the position of the needle at all.

- I then made a suggestion that perhaps the stirrup plate and holster plate need to be ground down on the right side to allow more play when installing. My reasoning is because the needle seems like it comes down center or just off right of center of the feed dog (when installed), and that the top stitch plate seems to be installing just fine as per instructions. I only have issue with the holster or stirrup plates.

I am still waiting to hear back about that suggestion for grinding the plates down, I certainly don't want to patch something when there is a better way to adjust/fix though.

Anyone else had to grind the plates down to fix their placement on these Cobra 4 machines?  I'll keep updating as I hear back.

Edited by MrLentz

I have both filed/sanded/polished the edges and elongated the mounting holes of my various throat plates. Some are Cowboy, others Cobra and one was custom made in a machine shop. I don't just move them sideways to position the needle in the center. I do it to establish the left side to allow hardware or drop shapes to pass by close on the left edge of the plates.

28 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I have both filed/sanded/polished the edges and elongated the mounting holes of my various throat plates. Some are Cowboy, others Cobra and one was custom made in a machine shop. I don't just move them sideways to position the needle in the center. I do it to establish the left side to allow hardware or drop shapes to pass by close on the left edge of the plates.

Thanks - that's good to hear!

IN that other video you posted, it looked like the needle was actually TRAVELING TO THE RIGHT as it comes down.  You know -- that OTHER issue.

Its so much easier re-looking up post on a pc versus a d phone. The scrolling for me first gets a rating, and well. 

Anyway probably best to ask how much or whats hook to needle clearence look like. But it is running about center on feed dog so kinda puts the cover at first ?

My standard cover is not slotted at the screw hole on my Cobra. Although in looking at other photos some i seen some use this. So if there is room at edge of cover say next to the casting, slotted holes could be handy. 

Floyd